Kitchel Interview

DWB

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm torn on this - probably because we don't have all the details and we've only gotten one side of the story. 

While I do see the players' points, I also think there's a bit of entitlement going on. I've learned many times in my life that when I'm faced with a decision you can muddy up your process by getting too much input from people who base their opinions off of their own positive/successful experiences. It's human nature, but what has worked for some, might not work for others. 

Many of these guys played 30+ years ago and they wanted input in a major coaching decision when the game has drastically changed since they were in school. And from listening to all the Knight-era players on the HH podcasts I've learned that many value the same things: accountability, more skill/role players, a disciplinarian coach, etc. I'm not saying they are wrong; it's what worked for them and they were successful, but how many former players do you need to meet with to get the same input? How many Joe Hillmans does Fred need to invite into his office to tell them how things worked back when they played when it's not relevant to today's game. We can cry and moan about how 'soft' kids are today, but they're not suddenly going to change and fit the mold of some traditionalist's perception of how a college basketball player should play, think and act. We aren't going to find another Coach Knight - and if we do, their tactics won't be 100% successful with this generation of players. Heck, we were already finding that out in the late 90's when Knight WAS the coach. Kids are recruited differently, they are coached differently and the game is played differently. 

While I love all our former players and love the memories they gave me, my perception is that many of these guys want to slow a boulder from rolling down a hill rather than run with it. If Fred does not agree with that approach, he's not going to bring in droves of players to change his mind. 

On the other hand and just to clear the air, I would like to know who Fred Glass consulted because that is what he promised.

And so my general stance is not misconstrued, I do think these players are important to Indiana Basketball. We can't pitch history to incoming recruits and then not make an effort to mesh our history with the current program. I really get the feeling that Archie is attempting to build that bridge and I hope that one day the divide will be fused. We want these guys around our program and our players.

The main remedy for this will be winning. Winning will cure so much. 

glad hillman wasn't brought in. he just got arrested for his part in a gambling ring. 

11 hours ago, Indykev said:

Glass did say he would reach out to former players, he didn't. I dont care about that. But to charge former players to go to a game is a joke. Set a row or 2 behind the bench for former players. First come first served. You wonder why we don't see former players in the Hall. Magic is at every big game MSU plays, you think he is buying his ticket? NO.

i see former players at games all the time. what are you talking about?

2 minutes ago, coachv said:

glad hillman wasn't brought in. he just got arrested for his part in a gambling ring. 

I only brought him up because Podcast on the Brink had an interview with him right before the gambling news broke. He was very 'sore' about the whole subject of Glass and the former players. I actually turned it off because his air of superiority got a little too annoying for me.  Rather than logically looking at why IU didn't hire and IU guy, he blamed the University for wanting to disassociate itself with Knight. THIS, apparently is why Alford (or whoever) isn't the coach now. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that narrative. 

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

I only brought him up because Podcast on the Brink had an interview with him right before the gambling news broke. He was very 'sore' about the whole subject of Glass and the former players. I actually turned it off because his air of superiority got a little too annoying for me.  Rather than logically looking at why IU didn't hire and IU guy, he blamed the University for wanting to disassociate itself with Knight. THIS, apparently is why Alford (or whoever) isn't the coach now. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that narrative. 

me either. glass stated he wanted a college coach. alford has not won enough. can't think of any former players who are qualified

1 hour ago, coachv said:

Did the arrest just happen ?   I only ask, because as of Sept. 10.... Hillman had not been arrested or charged.

joe hillman has not been  arrested or charged.

Yet. I concur with you.  We don't need any more clouds, as we had with Sampson, hanging over our program. 

Assuming everyone here has interviewed for a job they didn't get.  Would you rather it be public knowledge that you interviewed for job you didn't get, or would you rather have no public record of the interview at all?  One can be embarrassing and damaging to a reputation, the other saves face all the way around. The fact that we don't know who all interviewed for the job tells me Fred did a good job with the process.  When No one was publicly embarrassed, and the hire always believes he/she  was the first choice, it was a successful search.

37 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Assuming everyone here has interviewed for a job they didn't get.  Would you rather it be public knowledge that you interviewed for job you didn't get, or would you rather have no public record of the interview at all?  One can be embarrassing and damaging to a reputation, the other saves face all the way around. The fact that we don't know who all interviewed for the job tells me Fred did a good job with the process.  When No one was publicly embarrassed, and the hire always believes he/she  was the first choice, it was a successful search.

Logic?

5660A8D4-0AEE-41A8-89A8-1FEBBDBE2D9C.gif.f754c6b4771ad3fb8576272f05971036.gif

2 hours ago, coachv said:

i'm sure magic could scratch together enough to pay for a ticket. he's nearly a billionaire. he has likely donated enough money to their program to pay for season tickets many lifetimes over

Excellent point.  I have a feeling Glass would roll out the red carpet for any former player who also donated a significant sum to the school.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Did the arrest just happen ?   I only ask, because as of Sept. 10.... Hillman had not been arrested or charged.

joe hillman has not been  arrested or charged.

Yet. I concur with you.  We don't need any more clouds, as we had with Sampson, hanging over our program. 

Actually the day that podcast was aired it was after his arrest but they taped it a few days before the arrest

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I don't know that but there were allegations.

Yes. I saw allegations.  Never saw an arrest.  Even then. Innocent until prove guilty.    Hey man. Thanks for being a great HSN member.  I know you catch some flack from time to time.  However,  I appreciate ya. 

41 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yes. I saw allegations.  Never saw an arrest.  Even then. Innocent until prove guilty.    Hey man. Thanks for being a great HSN member.  I know you catch some flack from time to time.  However,  I appreciate ya. 

Hillman was named in the affidavit but I don't think he's been charged or arrested at this point.  Here's the article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2019/09/10/former-indiana-basketball-player-joe-hillman-linked-sports-gambling-ring/2272377001/

Go Hoosiers!!!

17 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Also allows IU/Glass to save face if Archie wasn't the 1st choice. When Crean was hired, it was embarrassing how many people were rumored to have turned us down 1st.

Archived