5 most important players for IU this season ?

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I think someone posted this in another thread.  The fact that Phinisee isn't mentioned is lunacy. 

Actually I think it was a different article (on starting lineups) by the same site (different authors). You're correct though. Both articles downplay Rob's significance to the team, and that certainly is lunacy.

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Actually I think it was a different article (on starting lineups) by the same site (different authors). You're correct though. Both articles downplay Rob's significance to the team, and that certainly is lunacy.

I believe you are correct. Same site, different day.  I linked this about 15 minutes after it was posted.  There is a link to to starting lineups article from a couple of days ago, in this article. 

Can't wait for the season to start. 

Rob was mentioned in the article.  I took it to be a “we already know what we have in Rob” kind of thing.  He is the constant at pg so what else is needed for the success of the team?  Honestly, I think he and Green are the only two where we definitely know what we have.  Maybe Durham.  Every single other player is a bit of a mystery IF IU is going to have a successful season.  IF that is the context then Davis, Brunk, Smith, Hunter. Are really good places to start.  IF IU is to be successful the. Those four need to do______.  That’s the way I took the article anyway.  However, it’s entirely possible that in misinterpreted.  The articles does say “an increased role”. That won’t apply to Rob since he has already been the starting pg.

10 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Rob was mentioned in the article.  I took it to be a “we already know what we have in Rob” kind of thing.  He is the constant at pg so what else is needed for the success of the team?  Honestly, I think he and Green are the only two where we definitely know what we have.  Maybe Durham.  Every single other player is a bit of a mystery IF IU is going to have a successful season.  IF that is the context then Davis, Brunk, Smith, Hunter. Are really good places to start.  IF IU is to be successful the. Those four need to do______.  That’s the way I took the article anyway.  However, it’s entirely possible that in misinterpreted.  The articles does say “an increased role”. That won’t apply to Rob since he has already been the starting pg.

I see what you're saying. Just seems the title doesn't fit the contents...

12 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

If that's the case, the article needs to be retitled to "5 X-Factors To Indiana's Season" or something similar.  Just because Rob is a known quantity doesn't mean he isn't important. 

6 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If that's the case, the article needs to be retitled to "5 X-Factors To Indiana's Season" or something similar.  Just because Rob is a known quantity doesn't mean he isn't important. 

Or that he can't make a huge leap this season. I'd argue Rob Phinisee making a 'leap' into one of the top 3-4 point guards in the Big Ten is as importan as anything else that could happen for IU to have a successful season. 

1- Hunter...is he ready for the rigors of a full season

2- TJD...big recruit,what can he bring to the College game

3- Brunk...curious to see if wearing cream and crimson inspires him to new heights 

4-Phinisee...a year under his belt,time to lead the offense 

5 -Green ..Captain,Senior..go to guy

1 minute ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

LOL.... Does Coach Miller have some eligibility left?😁

I am saying he is one factor that is very important to a successful season.  He can't let what happen last year happen again this year or he can't wait to long to put a stop to any negativity around the program.

The wording was rather unclear whether the author wanted to say who needs to improve the most for the team to have a good season, or simply what the title says.  I'll go with the five most important.  First, as is usually the case, is the point guard, Phinisee.  This is doubly true because he's our only true point guard; if he gets injured again this year, we're in deep doo-doo.  Second, I'd say Hunter, because assuming he's the talent we think he is, he makes a lot of different lineup combinations viable.  Third, Jackson-Davis, because he and Hunter are the two biggest talents on the team, and as the only big time shot-blocker, I'm hoping he makes up for a lot of defensive mistakes by his teammates.  Fourth, Green, because we're hoping he'll be the leading scorer and have the highest three-point percentage, and thus be the best floor-spreader.  And fifth, I'll have to echo others and say the combination of Davis and Brunk for their ten fouls allowed, low-post defense, and low-post scoring.  No disrespect intended to Durham and Smith, who (if Smith begins to play hard consistently) are also very important for the team's success.  Not to mention Thompson, Anderson, and my hometown Franklin, who all have a chance of carving out a nice role this year.  

I can't imagine Al, Devonte, Rob, Justin, De'Ron not being "officially" the starting five, and will remain as such even if any of them is getting less minutes than any of Jerome, Trayce, and Joey. A few games into the pre-season the "official" list of starters might start changing; e.g., if Devonte or Justin haven't taken a leap. 

1. Green

2. TJD

3. Hunter 

4. Phinisee 

5. Davis

Mostly because this starting lineup has the most upside.  To be our best this is the pecking order of our roster.  I dont have any confidence Justin Smith will figure anything out this year otherwise I'd have him slotted in right behind Hunter.  I think Devonte could have a really special year. 

35 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

1. Green

2. TJD

3. Hunter 

4. Phinisee 

5. Davis

Mostly because this starting lineup has the most upside.  To be our best this is the pecking order of our roster.  I dont have any confidence Justin Smith will figure anything out this year otherwise I'd have him slotted in right behind Hunter.  I think Devonte could have a really special year. 

I wonder why you don't see Justin taking the next step? Not to mention that he is already a defensive bulwark for us. He was only a sophomore last year. What makes you more confident that Devonte will take the next step and not Justin? If anything (hoping not), I feel that because of age Devonte's game might have fossilized even more than Justin's. I personally want both to excel, and have every hope that they will. PS: sincere questions, not trying to undermine your predictions :)

2 hours ago, Hoosier Charm 87 said:

I wonder why you don't see Justin taking the next step? Not to mention that he is already a defensive bulwark for us. He was only a sophomore last year. What makes you more confident that Devonte will take the next step and not Justin? If anything (hoping not), I feel that because of age Devonte's game might have fossilized even more than Justin's. I personally want both to excel, and have every hope that they will. PS: sincere questions, not trying to undermine your predictions :)

Not that the question was addressed to me, but I will answer. 

I have seen Devonte shine consistently when he was asked to be the guy. Where Devonte has struggled has been when he doesn't have a clear-cut role; that is likely not the case this year. 

. Smith? I agree he has shown he can be a great defender, but I have never seen anything, aside from a single game against MSU, that shows me he can be a consistent contributor on offense. What have you seen that makes you think he can be consistent on offense? He is a very athletic, under-sized and under skilled four on offense at this point. What has he shown to say otherwise?

Archived