Indiana High School Basketball (2019-2020)

5fouls

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like clockwork.  The old adage in my neck of the woods is..."We always get snow during boys sectional week."  And right on cue, a Winter Storm Watch goes into effect at 7PM EST tonight in Northern Indiana.  Expecting heavy snowfall starting tonight through tomorrow night.  Projections are from 4"-8" inches with strong winds.  Blowing and drifting is expected.

Geez, it was 54 here Sunday.

Be careful out there my northern friends...and best of luck to your schools.

On 2/22/2020 at 11:57 AM, 5 championships said:

Linton wins 20+ games for the 8th consecutive season. From what people are saying this has never been done before in IHSAA history. 

They have had a run...its been pretty apparent, not to take away that Coach Hart is a good coach, but there is recruitment going on.  I suppose it goes on everywhere, but Linton has players who were previously in Shakamak, Bloomfield, Union (Dugger), and even one from Northview's school district.  They all mysteriously keep migrating to the program.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is really money being exchanged, but its a little shady.  Hate to see it, really.

10 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

They have had a run...its been pretty apparent, not to take away that Coach Hart is a good coach, but there is recruitment going on.  I suppose it goes on everywhere, but Linton has players who were previously in Shakamak, Bloomfield, Union (Dugger), and even one from Northview's school district.  They all mysteriously keep migrating to the program.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is really money being exchanged, but its a little shady.  Hate to see it, really.

Then those other schools need to.be better. 

44 minutes ago, rico said:

Just like clockwork.  The old adage in my neck of the woods is..."We always get snow during boys sectional week."  And right on cue, a Winter Storm Watch goes into effect at 7PM EST tonight in Northern Indiana.  Expecting heavy snowfall starting tonight through tomorrow night.  Projections are from 4"-8" inches with strong winds.  Blowing and drifting is expected.

Geez, it was 54 here Sunday.

Be careful out there my northern friends...and best of luck to your schools.

Sectionals are next week...hopefully it melts by then. 😉

52 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

Yes we should promote recruiting at the High School level...good call

The whole high school recruiting thing is a mess.. if people are mad at public schools for it then why are private and public schools in the same tournament? Shouldn’t they have their own separate tournaments? Private schools have a clear advantage. 
I don’t mind kids who in junior high decide they want to go to another school for athletics. Personally if a kid wants to switch schools because one school has a better band and he loves music then go for it.. I do however don’t like kids switching schools in the middle of their high school careers when the prior school spent so much time and recourses with that particular player. But wanna switch in junior high before your HS careers begins sure I don’t mind 

35 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

The whole high school recruiting thing is a mess.. if people are mad at public schools for it then why are private and public schools in the same tournament? Shouldn’t they have their own separate tournaments? Private schools have a clear advantage. 
I don’t mind kids who in junior high decide they want to go to another school for athletics. Personally if a kid wants to switch schools because one school has a better band and he loves music then go for it.. I do however don’t like kids switching schools in the middle of their high school careers when the prior school spent so much time and recourses with that particular player. But wanna switch in junior high before your HS careers begins sure I don’t mind 

I agree..this is what happened to the Hopf kid...and the IHSAA actually came down on him...we had a kid from my high school who had two siblings go thru our high school and then he, a good athlete, transfer to the other high school in the county for sports...he too had to sit out a year.

there should be a private and public tourney, but that doesn’t solve all. Schools like Linton and Barr-Reeve are labeled public but they recruit as hard as the private schools

23 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I agree..this is what happened to the Hopf kid...and the IHSAA actually came down on him...we had a kid from my high school who had two siblings go thru our high school and then he, a good athlete, transfer to the other high school in the county for sports...he too had to sit out a year.

there should be a private and public tourney, but that doesn’t solve all. Schools like Linton and Barr-Reeve are labeled public but they recruit as hard as the private schools

Absolutely absurd post. BR nor Linton recruit. You're jealous 

10 hours ago, gnet550 said:

Yes I’m jealous....you’re a clown. I’m a teacher at a school who I’m not even classed with Linton....I’ve heard one of the kids that went to Linton, his family lives in a property owned by a coach on the team..hmm

I'm a teacher too. You literally sound jealous. Sucks that Linton and BR walk the dog. Be better. 

11 hours ago, gnet550 said:

Yes I’m jealous....you’re a clown. I’m a teacher at a school who I’m not even classed with Linton....I’ve heard one of the kids that went to Linton, his family lives in a property owned by a coach on the team..hmm

55 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm a teacher too. You literally sound jealous. Sucks that Linton and BR walk the dog. Be better. 

.....and another teacher here as well. Is this how a brand new poster or NEWBIE to HSN, " The Best Hoosier Sports message board out there.." is going to conduct themselves out the gate? There's another message board out there where this type of post fits right in...... 

I don't know what happens at Linton or Barr-Reeve, but I do know it's possible for a non-4A school to have their talent be home grown.  

At Silver Creek, there are essentially only 8 players that get varsity minutes.  All 8 of those players went to Silver Creek Middle school.  7 of the 8 went to Silver Creek Elementary.  The one that did not attend SC Elementary attended the local Catholic Elementary that is literally a quarter of a mile from the high school.

I'm sure recruiting occurs in some communities, but a good youth development program is at the root of most programs that have long term success.

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't know what happens at Linton or Barr-Reeve, but I do know it's possible for a non-4A school to have their talent be home grown.  

At Silver Creek, there are essentially only 8 players that get varsity minutes.  All 8 of those players went to Silver Creek Middle school.  7 of the 8 went to Silver Creek Elementary.  The one that did not attend SC Elementary attended the local Catholic Elementary that is literally a quarter of a mile from the high school.

I'm sure recruiting occurs in some communities, but a good youth development program is at the root of most programs that have long term success.

Correct. 

Kids do move in once a program is established. We've had it happen in football. Never ONCE have we recruited someone to come to our school and play ball. 

45 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And there it is in a nutshell.  Start them young playing organized ball.  That was Whitko's "secret" back in my day.  I was 9 playing Little League basketball.  Coach Patrick developed us very young.

Archived