Michigan Pregame Thread

On 11/21/2019 at 9:54 AM, Seeking6 said:

Forecast isn't looking inviting Saturday. Not sure which team that favors most. What I like about us is we've shown we can excel at several areas on offense. Short passes, taking shots down the field and run game. Will need all 3 humming to win this one. With weather...could come down to a busted play or Logan makes the FG's and Michigan kicker doesn't. 

if the temperature dips below 55 degrees there will be more michigan fans than indiana fans in memorial stadium after halftime. you can count on that

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/21/2019 at 2:22 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

You’re lucky, you’re younger than me. Although, I was at IU for the 1979 Holiday Bowl. Maybe the high point for me. Tim Wilbur lived on my floor at McNutt. Too bad he couldn’t keep his grades up. Guy was a freak athlete 

i was also at iu when wilbur played. i don't remember him being kicked off the team over grades. i do remember a whole lot of interceptions

On 11/21/2019 at 3:08 PM, IUguy said:

Sorry, but I can't see a blowout.  Somehow the line keeps going up.  Now 9 1/2.  This is crazy.  Didn't Penn State blow out Michigan, or at least beat them?  This will be a close game unless IU turns the ball over a lot, which is not normal.  What I don't know, is Philyor playing or are they being extra cautious with him?

the line is moving because the money is pouring in for michigan from bettors. hope they lose their ass

28 minutes ago, coachv said:

i was also at iu when wilbur played. i don't remember him being kicked off the team over grades. i do remember a whole lot of interceptions

At IU Wilbur played cornerback and returned punts for Lee Corso’s Hoosiers and was part of one of the best teams in IU history (1979 Holiday Bowl Champions) and the Hoosiers complied a 22-23 record in his five seasons (he sat out the 1981 season when IU went 3-8).

That''s what I had recalled. Forgot that he came back and played after that.

Wilbur is not enshrined in the IU Athletics Hall of Fame since he is not an IU graduate

https://hoosierhuddle.com/hoosier-blog/hoosier-legacy-player-cornerback-tim-wilbur-1978-1982/2017/4/28

58 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm so excited about tomorrow.  I'm honestly worried I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight I'm that excited.  If we win, I might not sleep all weekend!

Same here! 

Weather turning it into a ground heavy affair is a bit of a concern, though. IU looked so gassed late game and that PSU  drive ate so much of the last 10 minutes off the clock  FWIW both teams will still have to deal with the same weather.I just should have known better than to assume the forecast from days in advance of the game would hold .

Stevie Scott & Co need to have a solid enough rushing day as a unit to help  keep UM honest. . Hendershot will likely have to play big as well as both a blocker and pass  catcher. If the conditions limit passing range, I like PR in dink and dunk ball. I replayed the moves he put on pursuit to get off a few of those passes. That was pure instinct, and effort just freeing himself up, but also having made the right reads under such pressure. Not that he was perfect , but it was super impressive like his entire day in general. . We know Penn State has some outstanding athletes on that team. Even when he was sacked he recognized the inevitable and secured the ball.

That being said, he also threw 2 would be INTs and PR nor IU can afford to leave it up to the other team's guys failing to execute.

Lol Now with that also now having been said,  I still think PR is the difference even if the weather allows a normal passing day. Guys still have to CATCH any passes that come their way, especially when they are certain TDs , but Ramsey has been a real pleasure to watch this year. He has so much heart, but he is also playing some d**ned good football!  As for Patterson. - and his comments basically writing IU off as a mere distraction between now and OSU ,  I hope he eats those words . Psh!! 

GO HOOSIERS!!! 

18 hours ago, coachv said:

if the temperature dips below 55 degrees there will be more michigan fans than indiana fans in memorial stadium after halftime. you can count on that

2010 Michigan at IU game. We lost 42-35. Sitting in the endzone and Michigan Mom in front of me was telling her kid how they could fit 2 of our stadiums inside the Big House. Normal banter but the little boy asked Mom why does it seem louder here? I laughed and said good question kid...Mom didn't have a reply. 

Haven't been this excited for an IU football game since Ohio St opener a few years back. I'll say the same thing I did before Penn St. No short fields for them because of turnovers....on defense we need to find a way to create 2 takeaways. If weather plays the part I think it will....field possession please. We have 2 outstanding kicker/punter...use them to our advantage.

On 11/21/2019 at 1:17 PM, jv1972iu said:

Little help, please.  Going to this game with friends.  Does IU closely enforce the clear bag policy?  With the rain possibility will they let you bring in seat cushions, blankets?  Haven't been to Memorial in some years, so any help is appreciated.  Have a parking pass for lot/gate 12.  Also, any tips on driving into B-ton from East via 46.  Thanks!  Go Hoosiers!!        *** Forget the question about seat cushions and blankets.  I found the IU policy site.

Regarding clear bag policy - YES. I’ve seen folks carrying their bags back to their car due to the policy.  This was for basketball but I’d assume they are just as vigilant for football games. I stuff my pockets with the absolute essentials, and that’s what I take in.

The NBC preview..

Michigan-Indiana Preview

1. Michigan has gone 58-9 against Indiana all-time, last losing in 1987 and last losing to an unranked Indiana in 1967. Michigan has averaged 35.7 points during its 23-game winning streak against Indiana.
  2. Michigan is allowing 154.8 passing yards per game, fourth in the FBS behind Ohio State, Clemson and Wisconsin. Michigan has held each of its last five opponents under 200 yards passing, trailing only Clemson (nine) for the longest active streak in the FBS.
  3. Shea Patterson's 384 passing yards last week were the most by a Michigan quarterback since Jake Rudock had 440 against Indiana in 2015. Patterson played in 10 games for Ole Miss and had seven 300-yard passing games -- this was his first 300-yard game as a Wolverine (he's played 23).
  4. Since 2007, Indiana has gone 1-38 against ranked Big Ten opponents, with the lone win coming against Michigan State in 2016. Indiana's seven wins are already its most since 2007 -- the Hoosiers have not had more wins since 1993 (eight).
  5. Peyton Ramsey threw for 371 yards while rushing for two touchdowns against Penn State last week, the first Indiana player with 350+ passing yards and multiple rushing TDs since Antwaan Randle El in 1998.

201911161543565972294-p3.jpeg
(AP Photo/Barry Reeger)

Quarterback Peyton Ramsey started this season as the backup.

He said and did all the right things and when he got another chance the two-year starter didn't disappoint.

On Saturday, the newly-minted captain will close out the Hoosiers' home slate as the starter on one of Indiana's most successful teams - and with No. 12 Michigan in town, he said he is still not satisfied.

"It is one of our season goals," Ramsey said when asked about beating a ranked team. "But it's also just another chance to go compete, to go play."

And without Ramsey, the Hoosiers' breakthrough season might not even have been a pipedream.

Injuries limited Michael Penix Jr. to six starts in a season he finished only two games. Ramsey, meanwhile, has gone 3-2 as the starter, the losses coming to Ohio State at home and Penn State on the road.

Ramsey's ability to stay ready and perform on a moment's notice has helped Indiana secure its first winning season since 2007, become bowl-eligible for the first time in three years, win at Nebraska for the first time since 1958 and end a 25-year drought by cracking the Top 25 rankings. The Hoosiers (7-3, 4-3 Big Ten) were even within striking distance of snapping a 37-game losing streak against top 10 foes last weekend.

Now, Ramsey will try to end a 23-game skid against surging Michigan (8-2, 5-2) and one of his biggest fans, Wolverines coach Jim Harbaugh.

"I've always though Ramsey was a terrific quarterback," Harbaugh said. "We played against him as a true freshman and he played very well, and he's a very experienced quarterback now."

Michigan poses all sorts of problems.

The defense has allowed just 228 yards and 11.4 points in its last seven games, six of them wins. The offense has topped the 400-yard mark four times in its last five games and after beating one rival, Michigan State, the Wolverines hope to continue building momentum for next week's big showdown with No. 2 Ohio State.

Ramsey understands the challenge, but the Hoosiers are counting on their resilient quarterback to get the job done one more time.

"He's always been accurate, he's always been tough, he's always had those things that, those qualities of just the grit and the savviness," Indiana coach Tom Allen said. "I just think he's a really good player and that's why it was such a tough decision in the beginning that we had to make, but he's proven to me that he's an excellent football player and he's playing at a high level."

FANTASTIC FINISH

Sixteen seniors will make their final home appearance for the Hoosiers on Saturday and they are particularly excited about the bowl bid.

"We were the last class before coach Allen got here, but I think we were here long enough to embrace his concept," senior offensive lineman Simon Stepaniak said. "I think this group really kicked it off and made sure you're not going to take Indiana lightly anymore."

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Harbaugh said Allen has done a "great job" with his program, improving the defense to complement its offense

"He's got a lot of enthusiasm," Harbaugh said. "He's really focused, you can tell, as a coach and I think that rubs off on his football team."

CLOSE CALLS

This series has been one-sided right from the start. Michigan won the first five games and the Hoosiers have never come close to pulling even with the Wolverines.

The Hoosiers haven't won since 1987, but Indiana has been getting increasingly more competitive. Four of the last eight games have been decided by seven or fewer points and the Wolverines needed overtime to win in their last trip to Bloomington and double overtime in their previous trip to Bloomington.

HE SAID IT

"You can't plant potatoes one day and expect to eat potato salad the next day." - Harbaugh, referring to his steadily improving team.

---

AP Sports Writer Larry Lage in Ann Arbor, Michigan, also contributed to this report.

Archived