Fred Glass to retire

1 hour ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

All I have to say is.. since Fred Glass is done after this year I hope McRobbie leaves too. I’ve heard something about his contract ending and he’s going to be done. Which is music to my ears. No disrespect to anyone in here but as a student/conservative, I can’t stand how bias/liberal this University is. Especially the decisions that are being made at the top. This school brings in so much money every year, yet they still take half the profits that the athletic programs bring in annually and they don’t re invest all of it back into our athletic programs, and that’s where I have a problem. The top dogs in all of college sports fully re invest in their programs and that’s why they’re good year in and year out. We need someone like Mitch Daniels at Purdue as our president, someone who is willing to invest more in our athletic programs, which will result in more success in my opinion. Good reason why Purdue has been better than us in two of the major sports for awhile now. Dish out some real money for a real coach.. (basketball). 

Just a side note here -- stay away from any politics.

No problem with your comments on McRobbie but do it without the conservative vs. liberal stuff. Thanks.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Hypothetical situation.  We miss the tournament this year and Archie is fired.  Does the incoming coach bear the burden of "4 straight years of missing the tournament"? Should the administration treat his first season as if it was the 5th straight season under Crean, and having missed the tournament the previous four?

Failures of a previous coach may be relevant in the patience level of fans, but it can't be a factor in the mind of the administration.  Every different coach should be allowed a reasonable amount of time to build his program, past failures of the previous coach aside.  Archie doesn't bear the blame for Crean's last season when it comes to his performance levels. 

In fact Archie was handed a full roster of Crean recruits. Archie has only had two years of his recruits. Sophomore an Freshman class. So he deserves more time. 

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Has he not protected public opinion through all these mishaps?  Besides us board junkies, no one even knows anything negative about Wilson.  

Same with Curt Miller, just disappeared and followed up by making great hires.  

The injured athletes thing was followed up by the most aggressive and conservative concussion protocol to the known sports world. Have to wonder how much of some of the public issues was also sour grapes.  Either way to athletes bill of rights followed and improvements were made and problems vanished in the public square again.  

Crean, got to hand it to you there.  The basketball program became a disaster and Crean was given too much time, grades fell, players getting in trouble.  

And I appreciate you outlining all the positives.  

I think he protected public opinion to a degree.  Maybe national coverage was prevented but in town, at least with people I know, the issues with Wilson and Miller were not hard to find.  But maybe to your point it didn’t travel to far as most still don’t seem to know the full breadth of Wilson or Miller.  I can appreciate that spin on it.

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Personal/health reasons.

There's always been rumors of misconduct that may or may not be tied to Curt's sexual orientation, but I've never seen anything substantiated. The biggest fact that counters that: Curt's first post-IU job was an assistant with the LA Sparks. The head coach of the Sparks at the time? Brian Agler. Brian's daughter Taylor played for Miller at IU. Now, if there really was misconduct on that level and you had actual firsthand accounts of information from that time, would you put that person on your staff?

It was not personal health reasons.  Also the coaching fraternity is tight and the hire could of had everything to do with how he treated Brian’s daughter.  The issue was not related to the girls in any way. Though I will say he had other things going on as well like children committing crimes across town.  It’s not like one issue sealed his fate similar to Wilson.

The thing I am curious about: what sort of short term impact will this have on Archie and how the basketball program operates? Medium term? 

Assuming Archie is given the time to continue build this program and sort out the culture and forge the identity, what sorts of freedoms or restraints could he find himself experiencing?

3 hours ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

All I have to say is.. since Fred Glass is done after this year I hope McRobbie leaves too. I’ve heard something about his contract ending and he’s going to be done. Which is music to my ears. No disrespect to anyone in here but as a student/conservative, I can’t stand how bias/liberal this University is. Especially the decisions that are being made at the top. This school brings in so much money every year, yet they still take half the profits that the athletic programs bring in annually and they don’t re invest all of it back into our athletic programs, and that’s where I have a problem. The top dogs in all of college sports fully re invest in their programs and that’s why they’re good year in and year out. We need someone like Mitch Daniels at Purdue as our president, someone who is willing to invest more in our athletic programs, which will result in more success in my opinion. Good reason why Purdue has been better than us in two of the major sports for awhile now. Dish out some real money for a real coach.. (basketball). 

Good reason why Purdue has been better than us in two of the major sports for awhile now. Dish out some real money for a real coach.. (basketball).  
 You do realize that Archie is like the 10th highest paid coach so IU is spending money on a basketball coach.  Archie was the top candidate out there the year we hired him according to all the experts.

49 minutes ago, cybergates said:

After the end of the the bicentennial he is supposed to be here one more year, so the end June 2021 sounds correct.  My understanding is he will stay during the search for the next president and likely help with a transition over that last academic year.

We need an AD that won’t take any crap and will take the handcuffs our athletics. Basketball especially should get the upmost support within the school and look to take advantage of these new student athlete rules. That especially needs to be a priority. I wouldn’t be surprised if that didn’t play into all this as navigating the changes will be huge moving forward. Let’s get someone that is proactive!

2 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

It was not personal health reasons.  Also the coaching fraternity is tight and the hire could of had everything to do with how he treated Brian’s daughter.  The issue was not related to the girls in any way. Though I will say he had other things going on as well like children committing crimes across town.  It’s not like one issue sealed his fate similar to Wilson.

That's why I phrased it as personal "/" health reasons. You're correct in regards to the legal end. Curt also had suffered a stroke prior to taking the IU job. The aforementioned personal issues coupled with the stress of a D1 coaching job could have caused further issues.

As far as the coaching community goes, to me, the identity of the other party wouldn't have mattered. This is a person who I would have entrusted as a leader and mentor for my 18 year old child. If transgressions like the rumors would have occurred, that trust is shattered, and that goes way beyond the coaching ranks. Maybe I'm different, but I'm not hiring a person after that.

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Weak response because he over sees many sports which a lot are doing great.  Also he hired the top candidate out there for our basketball program when he was making the last hire.  He also has done a lot with the facilities while he has been here and actually got them up to date.

Who are “all the experts” you refer to?  I consider Dan Dakich as much  of an expert as anyone else and he thought Archie was a mediocre hire....’just another guy’ is how he put it.  Archie’s performance  his first 3 years compared to those of Holtman, Mack and others that were possibly available has proven him spot on.  Saying Archie was the top candidate available is comical....this is supposedly a blue blood program so for the right money, anyone should have been available.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

That's why I phrased it as personal "/" health reasons. You're correct in regards to the legal end. Curt also had suffered a stroke prior to taking the IU job. The aforementioned personal issues coupled with the stress of a D1 coaching job could have caused further issues.

As far as the coaching community goes, to me, the identity of the other party wouldn't have mattered. This is a person who I would have entrusted as a leader and mentor for my 18 year old child. If transgressions like the rumors would have occurred, that trust is shattered, and that goes way beyond the coaching ranks. Maybe I'm different, but I'm not hiring a person after that.

I agree yet it seems to happen all the time.  I could point to a few coaches I feel fall under that area that are still working in coaching or got looked away on for a long time.  Mike Brey, Coach Wilson, Petino, Petrina, Bruce Pearl.  Seems to happen too often.

37 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

Who are “all the experts” you refer to?  I consider Dan Dakich as much  of an expert as anyone else and he thought Archie was a mediocre hire....’just another guy’ is how he put it.  Archie’s performance  his first 3 years compared to those of Holtman, Mack and others that were possibly available has proven him spot on.  Saying Archie was the top candidate available is comical....this is supposedly a blue blood program so for the right money, anyone should have been available.

“Anyone should have been available” is ridiculous because 

1. The athletics budget is not endless.

2. This assumes that money is all these coaches care about. 

Lastly, while Dakich didn’t like the hire, the media was pretty universally saying this was a good hire. I even distinctly remembering OSU fans being upset because they wanted CAM as the heir to Thad. I’ll find you articles and opinion pieces showing everyone loved the hire if you would like.

42 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

You mean the guy that wanted IU to hire Steve Alford? Can’t get more mediocre than that. Alford is a downgrade from Crean. 

In about two seconds I found this:

It’s an awesome hire,” said ESPN college basketball and recruiting expert Jeff Borzello. “Archie has been one of the hottest names in coaching for several years now, with his name attached to a variety of openings. But he wanted an elite-level job, and that’s what Indiana is.”

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2017/03/25/report-archie-miller-new-iu-coach/99618342/

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You mean the guy that wanted IU to hire Steve Alford? Can’t get more mediocre than that. Alford is a downgrade from Crean. 

The very same Alford who has never made it past the S16 and in 5 years at UCLA with plenty of NBA talent missed the tournament twice in 5 full seasons.

6 minutes ago, madmax said:

“Anyone should have been available” is ridiculous because 

1. The athletics budget is not endless.

2. This assumes that money is all these coaches care about. 

Lastly, while Dakich didn’t like the hire, the media was pretty universally saying this was a good hire. I even distinctly remembering OSU fans being upset because they wanted CAM as the heir to Thad. I’ll find you articles and opinion pieces showing everyone loved the hire if you would like.

Your objection is duly noted.  He said ‘all of the experts’. I simply named one that didn’t think Archie was the best choice. Also, If this is a blue blood program like many think it is, then yes, anyone should be available for the right price and money shouldn’t be an issue to keep said program from getting their coach.  I think Archie was a good candidate but most likely not the best we could get....Archie’s results to date have certainly not pointed to a home run hire.  

9 minutes ago, madmax said:

The very same Alford who has never made it past the S16 and in 5 years at UCLA with plenty of NBA talent missed the tournament twice in 5 full seasons.

This is true but his assessment of Archie is also proving to be accurate....Zero  NCAA tournament appearances in his first 2 seasons....this may change and I hope it does.

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The same could be said of Archie....not much improvement, if any at all, over the Crean years.  Same offensive woes, lack of shooters on the roster, spotty to poor defense, head scratching substitution patterns, lack of effort, etc.  only definitive improvements have been less sideline pacing and far less incessant clapping

Lol, also... I don’t doubt that Dan expressed that this was a mediocre hire, but he sure seems to think it was a good hire here. Watch from about the 4 minute point on.

1 hour ago, CTrojan88 said:

Archived