DeBoer wants to coach in Gator Bowl

KDB

2 hours ago, eddy4iu said:

While I have no problem with DeBoer coaching in the bowl game, in a show of solidarity with my buddy mile I vow to turn around in my seat and not watch one IU offensive play in the Gator Bowl. It might be a 3rd and 25 kind of play should we find ourselves in that position but a play nonetheless. VBG

Thank you eddy. We've been through a lot together over the years.  I appreciate what you have said here. However, I ask that you not turn your head. Even though I know you are not serious. Having said that, I do appreciate your show of support for me.  After all... you are spending big bucks to ATTEND the game.  All I have to do is not watch on the tv.... for free. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Muddy River said:

What if we are considering Mike Hart for the job, and it's his job to run things while DeBoer is away, a trial run so to speak, would that make you feel better?  It also seems quite plausible that He would tell Fresno during the interview process that he wouldn't have two feet in until after he beats Tennessee.  As an employer, I would completely respect that,  Finally, my last point is that Coach Allen has made a lot of hay with LEO.  It's a mantra that is ringing true, and has players, coaches, and even fans buying in.  Can you continue to preach LEO if you shut the door on someone for reaching for the brass ring?  Our success is DeBoer's success, and his success is our success.  LEO.

Well said.  LEO.  Only half a loaf.  Just kidding.  Good post. 

Like they did not know till now.  Great.... now Fresno is sure to get recognition on tv, during the Gator Bowl, that they would never have gotten. If not for DeBoer. More reason for me NOT to watch the game.

Tom Brew on Twitter: "BREAKING: Indiana OC Kalen DeBoer just confirmed with me he will coach IU in Gator Bowl. "This team, program and season are so special, and I want to do everything I can to finish it off in a great way!'' he said. My Sports Illustrated Indiana story: #iufb https://t.co/VXgshnU4yQ"

22 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Like they did not know till now.  Great.... now Fresno is sure to get recognition on tv, during the Gator Bowl, that they would never have gotten. If not for DeBoer. More reason for me NOT to watch the game.

Tom Brew on Twitter: "BREAKING: Indiana OC Kalen DeBoer just confirmed with me he will coach IU in Gator Bowl. "This team, program and season are so special, and I want to do everything I can to finish it off in a great way!'' he said. My Sports Illustrated Indiana story: #iufb https://t.co/VXgshnU4yQ"

It will take a lot more than this to keep me from watching a game that IU is playing in.  Even though I could not stand Sampson I still watched every game so I know I can watch this game.

22 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I just find it irresponsible. To divide one's time.  Either you're with us, or you are not.

As far as watching the game.  Still on the fence on that one.  Most likely a game time decision for me.  A lot depends on how much time DeBoer spends sharing time between two schools. 

I assume you enjoy watching IU football, so why would you "punish" yourself and not watch the game because of your distaste for what DeBoer is doing? If you don't watch it doesn't affect him in any way, so you're only negatively impacting yourself.

48 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Know who also comes out looking good with them mentioning that after just one season, IU's OC got a D1 head coaching gig?

Tom Allen.

Top tier assistants want to work for head coaches that can get them to that next level.  Promising up-and-coming assistants want to work for a HC like that because they might bump up to a coordinator's position in 2-3 years. 

They might be talking about Fresno, but it's Indiana that comes out looking good. 

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

Know who also comes out looking good with them mentioning that after just one season, IU's OC got a D1 head coaching gig?

Tom Allen.

Top tier assistants want to work for head coaches that can get them to that next level.  Promising up-and-coming assistants want to work for a HC like that because they might bump up to a coordinator's position in 2-3 years. 

They might be talking about Fresno, but it's Indiana that comes out looking good. 

It also makes Indiana look good from a culture point of view.  Deboer, despite taking a head coaching job across the country, wants to finish out the season.  Allen agrees to let him.

This makes IU look like a good destination for another really good OC.  It's obvious that Deboer enjoyed working with/for Allen, and he obviously wants to do right by the team, all of which indicates that LEO isn't just a phrase, but a way of life in the IU football program, both for the players and the coaches.

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

I have to remind myself that it's December, IU basketball is 10-1 and yet replacing a successful OC and a January bowl game are topics of conversation.

I have no idea what this planet is that I've wandered onto, but I'm starting to like it here.

Not to mention that Penn State is ranked 23 in basketball...

19 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Tom Allen.

While I agree overall, the optics are little skewed on this one. He came from Fresno St. for that one year and is going back to Fresno after the HC stepped down for health reasons. It's close to a promotion from OC to HC from within without actual being one. 

I would never deprive myself the pleasure to watch IU football because the OC is leaving for a head job.  I'd support the head coach, the other assistants, and the 80ish players who worked their tail off, year round, to get us to a bowl game.  Tennessee is a high-profile opponent and this is the biggest stage we've been on in 25 years.  Go IU.

45 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I would never deprive myself the pleasure to watch IU football because the OC is leaving for a head job.  I'd support the head coach, the other assistants, and the 80ish players who worked their tail off, year round, to get us to a bowl game.  Tennessee is a high-profile opponent and this is the biggest stage we've been on in 25 years.  Go IU.

Question. Who is the IU assistant ?  IU's OC for one more game ?  Or the Fresno HC ?

Kalen DeBoer says being Fresno State's new head coach is dream come true 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Question. Who is the IU assistant ?  IU's OC for one more game ?  Or the Fresno HC ?

Maybe I am missing something obvious but I dont see a down side of him coaching the bowl game. Not like the new guy will coach the bowl game.  We have the person that led us to a big offensive season to coach the guys he has been with all season. Since Hart is not calling the game I suspect he will not be the necessary front runner for the OC position.  I dont think as IU fans could ask for a better scenario 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I say make yourself happy.  Do whatever you feel is best for you.  But let this go.  😊  Have a wonderful holiday, Mile and thanks for all that you do for this site and the conversation!  Truly!  😊

35 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Maybe I am missing something obvious but I dont see a down side of him coaching the bowl game. Not like the new guy will coach the bowl game.  We have the person that led us to a big offensive season to coach the guys he has been with all season. Since Hart is not calling the game I suspect he will not be the necessary front runner for the OC position.  I dont think as IU fans could ask for a better scenario 

Down side.  Dividing time between two schools. Which he has admitted to.  Rather than spending 100% of his time, trying to help IU win the first bowl game, that they have not been a part of for years. Listen, Deboer has done a great job for IU. Despite his short time with us. I wish him no ill will.  Just don't like the idea of splitting his time.

16 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Down side.  Dividing time between two schools. Which he has admitted to.  Rather than spending 100% of his time, trying to help IU win the first bowl game, that they have not been a part of for years. Listen, Deboer has done a great job for IU. Despite his short time with us. I wish him no ill will.  Just don't like the idea of splitting his time.

I agree but I would take 50 percent. Which it will be much higher than that, of DeBoer than 100 percent of anyone else. I can assure you we will get his best undivided attention for beating Tennessee 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

How does he do it ?  Working two programs at the same time.  WOW.

Fresno State football: DeBoer says there will be changes on staff | The Fresno Bee

Philosophically I totally agree with you that it is not ideal for DeBoer to be dividing his time between the two programs. That being said....this season we scored over 30 a number of times with him we calling plays and orchestrating the offensive plan so I guess I prefer having his experience at the bowl game versus getting someone else up to speed (and hoping that person performs when under pressure). 

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

Philosophically I totally agree with you that it is not ideal for DeBoer to be dividing his time between the two programs. That being said....this season we scored over 30 a number of times with him we calling plays and orchestrating the offensive plan so I guess I prefer having his experience at the bowl game versus getting someone else up to speed (and hoping that person performs when under pressure). 

I appreciate your thought.  Just can't accept his splitting time between two programs.  Just does not feel right to me.

Never the less.  I thank you for your input.  And thanks for being a member. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

I appreciate your thought.  Just can't accept his splitting time between two programs.  Just does not feel right to me.

Never the less.  I thank you for your input.  And thanks for being a member. 

Yes, I agree it’s not an ideal situation and, even though I see some positives in him coaching the game, it doesn’t entirely feel right to me either.

Archived