DeBoer wants to coach in Gator Bowl

KDB

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is too bad we aren't at the level of an Alabama, Ohio State, etc., so we maybe could have held on to DeBoer a little longer.  Allen and DeBoer seem like an amazing combination.  Both seem like some of the best guys in the entire NCAA.

Wish he could have stayed here longer, but DeBoer is definitely a guy IU will be proud to say coached here at one point.

Hopefully he can make it work to coach the bowl game.  I think the team would be fired up to play one last game for him.

With all due respect to Coach DeBoer.  He could have signed an agreement with his new team, to remain silent about his hiring until after the Gator Bowl. Frankly, I would not have had a problem with that. So he could coach his team in the Gator Bowl. However, seeing as it is now public knowledge that he is leaving IU.... I personally don't want to have any part of our program.  I do wish him well, in moving on.  But I don't consider him part of our team any longer.

20 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

Per Allen DeBoer will coach in Gator Bowl.

WOW !  I can understand.  Relationships and all.  I still think it is wrong.  Now... I have a decision to make based on this.  To watch or not.    Thanks eddy.  Enjoy the game. I know you will be there. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

WOW !  I can understand.  Relationships and all.  I still think it is wrong.  Now... I have a decision to make based on this.  To watch or not.    Thanks eddy.  Enjoy the game. I know you will be there. 

Mile, I hope DeBoer is hell bent on a historic IU victory!! Go IU!!

18 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

Mile, I hope DeBoer is hell bent on a historic IU victory!! Go IU!!

We can only hope. Just have to wonder where his heart and mind set is.  Still don't approve.  And still not sure I will watch because of this.  How in the heck can a guy want to coach for a team he is leaving ?  Years ago Michigan fired a BB coach ( Steve Fisher) just before UM was to start play in the NCAAT.  Just cause.  However, they no longer felt he had the proper connection to their great university.  And that's where I am coming from on this issue.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

We can only hope. Just have to wonder where his heart and mind set is.  Still don't approve.  And still not sure I will watch because of this.  How in the heck can a guy want to coach for a team he is leaving ?  Years ago Michigan fired a BB coach ( Steve Fisher) just before UM was to start play in the NCAAT.  Just cause.  However, they no longer felt he had the proper connection to their great university.  And that's where I am coming from on this issue.

I think that was Bill Frieder who left on the eve of the tourney for Arizona State.  Michigan was offended and replaced him with Steve Fisher who won it all.  Both were filthy.  

In our case, though, we have a coordinator leaving for a head coaching job.  There, you had a lateral move from one head job to another.

I might have the same reaction you have if our head coach left for another head coaching job.  But, here, you have a guy working his way up the ladder and got to the head spot.  He did a great job here and I appreciate what he did but don't fault him for taking a head job.

As for being silent about the new job, he's got a recruiting class to assemble over there, lest he get off to a bad start there.  He needs the announcement as a practical matter to get his next job off on the right track.  This is a routine fact pattern.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Mile,

If we think CTA has IUFB on the correct path and trajectory, then I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt on this call..  He knows the inner workings of the program and should be making the best decisions for the team.  I choose to back CTA and I will. be watching!  I've waited far too many years to see IUFB at this level of bowl games.  We should all just support them and revel in this accomplishment!

27 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think that was Bill Frieder who left on the eve of the tourney for Arizona State.  Michigan was offended and replaced him with Steve Fisher who won it all.  Both were filthy.  

In our case, though, we have a coordinator leaving for a head coaching job.  There, you had a lateral move from one head job to another.

I might have the same reaction you have if our head coach left for another head coaching job.  But, here, you have a guy working his way up the ladder and got to the head spot.  He did a great job here and I appreciate what he did but don't fault him for taking a head job.

As for being silent about the new job, he's got a recruiting class to assemble over there, lest he get off to a bad start there.  He needs the announcement as a practical matter to get his next job off on the right track.  This is a routine fact pattern.

I may have gotten my facts conflated.  However, Michigan dropped a BBHC after making numerous NCAAT appearances , when they lost confidence in him.

Yes. He has a job to do over there.  So, I ask.  Why stay at IU, if there is work to do on the left coast ?

18 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Mile,

If we think CTA has IUFB on the correct path and trajectory, then I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt on this call..  He knows the inner workings of the program and should be making the best decisions for the team.  I choose to back CTA and I will. be watching!  I've waited far too many years to see IUFB at this level of bowl games.  We should all just support them and revel in this accomplishment!

Probably gonna be a game day decision for me, as to whether or not I decide to watch.   Thanks for you support.

9 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I'm not coach, but to me you do it because you are grateful for the opportunity you were given, and you feel obligated to complete what you started.  Seem like high quality traits to me.

I can see your point.  Just can't agree with it.  Question that does not need to be answered.  Will he be recruiting for his new school, while prepping for IU's bowl game ?

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

With all due respect to Coach DeBoer.  He could have signed an agreement with his new team, to remain silent about his hiring until after the Gator Bowl. Frankly, I would not have had a problem with that. So he could coach his team in the Gator Bowl. However, seeing as it is now public knowledge that he is leaving IU.... I personally don't want to have any part of our program.  I do wish him well, in moving on.  But I don't consider him part of our team any longer.

Love ya man, but couldn't disagree more here.

DeBoer coaching us in the bowl is a show of mutual love and respect between him and Allen.  This kind of thing rarely happens.  99% of coaches in this case give a big middle finger to their old school, but DeBoer clearly has too much respect for his time at IU to do that.  I think that says a ton about the character of Allen and DeBoer.  Allen has shown to be a good enough head coach that DeBoer clearly cares enough that he wants to try to help win Allen a massively important game.

I have enough trust in Allen and DeBoer to know that they wouldn't do this if it was going to put us at a disadvantage.  No way would Allen allow him to coach in the bowl game if he thought there was any chance it would hurt the team/program.  Allen has poured his heart and soul into IU football.  Not a chance he'd risk that on something like this if he wasn't 100% sure this was a beneficial move.

This move gives me even more faith in the kind of program Allen is trying to build.  I love the true family feel that Allen has built with this program.  Personally, I love that DeBoer is going to be there for the bowl game.  I view it as a huge sign of respect for Allen, the IU program, and all the kids in the program.  

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

DeBoer coaching us in the bowl is a show of mutual love and respect between him and Allen.  This kind of thing rarely happens.  99% of coaches in this case give a big middle finger to their old school, but DeBoer clearly has too much respect for his time at IU to do that.  I think that says a ton about the character of Allen and DeBoer.  Allen has shown to be a good enough head coach that DeBoer clearly cares enough that he wants to try to help win Allen a massively important game.

I have enough trust in Allen and DeBoer to know that they wouldn't do this if it was going to put us at a disadvantage.  No way would Allen allow him to coach in the bowl game if he thought there was any chance it would hurt the team/program.  Allen has poured his heart and soul into IU football.  Not a chance he'd risk that on something like this if he wasn't 100% sure this was a beneficial move.

This move gives me even more faith in the kind of program Allen is trying to build.  I love the true family feel that Allen has built with this program.  Personally, I love that DeBoer is going to be there for the bowl game.  I view it as a huge sign of respect for Allen, the IU program, and all the kids in the program.  

Yeah, I'm with you on this.  I'm really glad he's going to be coaching one more game for IU, and the fact that he still wants to coach in the bowl is a very positive thing.  He's leaving on good terms and it's a sign of mutual respect between Deboer and Allen.

He got an opportunity he couldn't pass up, but he still wants to finish what he started here.

24 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I agree! Plus I think him calling the offense gives us the best chance to win the game, which is what I am most excited about. We NEED a bowl win here.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

As Bo said, "I want a Michigan Man coaching Michigan". Bo made that decision and Michigan won the national championship in 89.

I want an Indiana Man coaching Indiana. Great way to get someone on our staff some game experience. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I can see your point.  Just can't agree with it.  Question that does not need to be answered.  Will he be recruiting for his new school, while prepping for IU's bowl game ?

Of course he will and should be. Allen made it clear that the goal is to allow him to do his new job justice while finishing a special season at his “old” job. 

If you are concerned about DeBoer poaching from IU I choose to believe Allen would have smoked that out. DeBoer’s comments about his appreciation for his experience at IU were convincing to this diehard Hoosier.

I really hope you choose to watch your beloved Hoosiers spank the Vols and stifle the incessant Rocky Top noise!

If he were going to a Midwestern school, the recruiting angle might bother me a little more. But how many recruits do we battle Fresno State over?

I say good for him. Shows that although the future might hold a different path, he's willing to fulfill his commitment for this season. And his guys get to give him a send-off.

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Thanks for this!  Mile seems to be mad that DeBoer's on his field...uhhh, I mean lawn.  😉  Just teasing, Mile....now pass those gummies.  😋

I suppose we can consider this DeBoer's two-week notice (give or take a day or two until the bowl game).  I'm on the fence and nod my head in agreement with both sides of the discussion on the issue of DeBoer coaching the Gator Bowl.  Ultimately for me it comes down to whatever will give IU the best chance to win the bowl game.  I agree with those who feel KD is largely responsible for IU winning 8 (soon to be 9) games this season so it seems fair that he have an opportunity to help the team with the ninth game.  (It is not like he gave IU the finger or left on bad terms.  Is there anyone on this board who saw the tweet when the FSU job came open who did not instantly think . . . there goes our OC ???)

9 hours ago, iu2win said:

I suppose we can consider this DeBoer's two-week notice (give or take a day or two until the bowl game).  I'm on the fence and nod my head in agreement with both sides of the discussion on the issue of DeBoer coaching the Gator Bowl.  Ultimately for me it comes down to whatever will give IU the best chance to win the bowl game.  I agree with those who feel KD is largely responsible for IU winning 8 (soon to be 9) games this season so it seems fair that he have an opportunity to help the team with the ninth game.  (It is not like he gave IU the finger or left on bad terms.  Is there anyone on this board who saw the tweet when the FSU job came open who did not instantly think . . . there goes our OC ???)

When Tedford stepped down, my brain went into Hawk Harrellson mode....."He gone."

Edit: And I don't blame him either.  You strike while the iron is hot.  Hell, he technically has more college head coaching experience than Allen, and Allen did the same thing: leverage your first season as a P5 coordinator that turned out well into a head role. 

Archived