Gator bowl post game

Just now, 5fouls said:

Motivation for next season.

Question is who will be the starting QB next year.  I hear an interview with Peyton on the radio before the PU game and they asked him about if he would look at being a grad transfer.  He did not come out and say know but said he would have to look at things after the year.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three things

1). This program took a painful lesson in learning how to win big games.  Not good enough yet against historically winning program

2). It was an entertaining game.  I especially enjoyed the shots of the upset Vols fans in the stands.  Priceless

3),  IU played at a high level most of the game.  Margin for error a little too thin still... very good showing all year and hope is alive!

that is all

Big picture....Great season. No way I expected we would win 8 and go to a Florida Bowl game.

Tonight.....the announcers said teams down by 13 with 5 minutes to go were 0-471 this year. Now they are 1-471. The second half turnaround was great to see as was the defense keeping us in the game in the first half.  Unfortunately, just like the MSU game, both the OC and DC went into please don’t lose mode when we had a chance to snuff them out.  Year after year we prematurely go into prevent defense leading to drives that beat us. I don’t get it. We should have a nothing to lose, go for it attitude. I’m glad we have someone as fired up about being the IU coach as Allen but the timeouts and not being prepared for the onside kick were egregious. Let’s hope this is another lesson and stepping stone to another 8 or so win next year.  

Just now, IU878176 said:

Big picture....Great season. No way I expected we would win 8 and go to a Florida Bowl game.

Tonight.....the announcers said teams down by 13 with 5 minutes to go were 0-471 this year. Now they are 1-471. The second half turnaround was great to see as was the defense keeping us in the game in the first half.  Unfortunately, just like the MSU game, both the OC and DC went into please don’t lose mode when we had a chance to snuff them out.  Year after year we prematurely go into prevent defense leading to drives that beat us. I don’t get it. We should have a nothing to lose, go for it attitude. I’m glad we have someone as fired up about being the IU coach as Allen but the timeouts and not being prepared for the onside kick were egregious. Let’s hope this is another lesson and stepping stone to another 8 or so win next year.  

On defense I would like to see us be more aggressive and bring more than 4 rushers.  It seems like when the blitz they bring the corner who is way off of the line and can't get there in time.

14 minutes ago, Indykev said:

How with 4 mins to play do you not have your hands team on the field. Bad high coaches even know this. These kids busted their ass for a coach that doesnt know when to call timeout.

What really stinks is Allen said they talked about the possibility of an onside kick but decided against putting the hands team in.  I won't put all the blame on special teams play, but it was a huge factor in the outcome of the game.

Put this in perspective. Tennesse needed several extremely lucky plays, benefit of doubt from the refs on key plays, and a missed pat from IU to barely win. 

Say what you will. There are plenty of things IU could have done to win, but in these really close games, historically good teams and upper echelon teams are going to be given the benefit of the doubt. A few more years of solid football and building a solid following will get IU more respect.

Until then, in games like this, the margin of error is razor thin, and if we can't win by 7+, we are more often than not going to see those close calls go against us.

Like I said earlier in the thread, that holding call where the db merely touched the receiver was the turning point. I'm not so sure IU gets that call if things were reversed.

At the end of the day, IU was the better team, and I'm damn proud of them this season.

2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

What really stinks is Allen said they talked about the possibility of an onside kick but decided against putting the hands team in.  I won't put all the blame on special teams play, but it was a huge factor in the outcome of the game.

I can’t think of any reasons why you wouldn’t have the hands team on the field in that situation.  Also, we had them on the ropes and then went to soft coverage, allowing their QB to get some confidence.  I do not understand the need for soft coverage when playing aggressive is what got you the lead in the first place.  I get it that It is designed to not give up the Home Run but to me, it just lets the team that is trailing, back in the game. The Colts do it too and it drives me crazy.  Ughhh, just a hard pill to swallow

Bad loss. Got nothing to add. Prevent defense at 6:52 mark and unexplainable onside kick defense to a team who was so desperate. Coaches can think that one over and over during the off season. Trajectory pointing up for our program for sure. Need to keep building and use the 7 minute sting of tonight for motivation. With that said....best IUFB season in 25 years. That won't change a thing.

Our offense wasn’t the best, but we had this thing won! Two chance to  get get in field goal range in the last three minutes and nothing. Just need another ten yards to make them a more Realistic field goal attempt. Great season , but really disappointed ending. 

Archived