What Changes Would You Make...

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I'm at the point I don't think there are any gimme's for this team but I hope you're right.  I do love reading all the different viewpoints and suggestions on this site.  Such a pleasant change after reading posts on the rivals site.  Wow, what a cesspool that place is. As far as I'm concerned, I'd have to agree with BGleas on the lineup changes. It's just frustrating to see the same crap every game and the conference season is going to be a long grind.

Bold part is so true and the reason I left there last February.   I think most of the posters over there are just trolls who are not really IU fan's or they were RMK fans and not IU.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

Smith doesn't have the hands or the motor that Troy had. He very rarely makes hard cuts to the basket. plays with his head down and when he drives he doesn't have the body control to do things when he is up in the air. He has very good leaping ability but once he is in the air he can't do much with it. He is a mix between Dale Davis and Uve Blaab.

I agree with you on Smith a bit. We always call him athletic, but he's not really that athletic. He has a great vertical, he can certainly sky, but he's not quick or overly fast. He doesn't have that quick-twitch second jump that so many athletic guys have. He doesn't blow by people or shake them. He can jump super high, but that's kind of where his elite athleticism ends. 

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

Smith doesn't have the hands or the motor that Troy had. He very rarely makes hard cuts to the basket. plays with his head down and when he drives he doesn't have the body control to do things when he is up in the air. He has very good leaping ability but once he is in the air he can't do much with it. He is a mix between Dale Davis and Uve Blaab.

Maybe he has more mentality than Troy.  Remember the good Troy, bad Troy thing?  And Justin in no way compares to Dale Davis or Uwe Blab.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Bold part is so true and the reason I left there last February.   I think most of the posters over there are just trolls who are not really IU fan's or they were RMK fans and not IU.

I have family members who were huge IU/Knight fans. When he was let go they started their hatred towards IU. Not me, I've remained an IU fan. A few yrs ago one of these family members was visiting from Indiana and an IU game was on.  Of course I watched the game and was my normal cussing, cheering nut case.  After watching the game they commented that it was fun to watch the team again. I have no idea if they've watched more games. I'm thinking not.

1 hour ago, rico said:

C'mon Jeff...both were centers.  Dale was a beast and how many points did Uwe score?

Rico, I am not comparing him to any position. I am comparing him to Davis's rebounding capabilities and to Uve's hands of stone. Smith has the potential to dominate on the boards if he would put his mind to it. And Uve scored 1,357 points in his career. 

I would never have Green and Durham on the court at the same time. I feel like they have no chemistry together. Maybe pair Green with Armaan and RP with Durham. 

I would play Anderson - I feel he will have it. The game is starting to slow down for him and once it does I think he has the right attitude to progress. This is as much for next year as this.

1 hour ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I would never have Green and Durham on the court at the same time. I feel like they have no chemistry together. Maybe pair Green with Armaan and RP with Durham. 

I would play Anderson - I feel he will have it. The game is starting to slow down for him and once it does I think he has the right attitude to progress. This is as much for next year as this.

Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised at how much better he looked early on (which isn't saying much in a way, since he seemed completely lost last year), and he has the ability to be a solid shooter, which we obviously need. 

10 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised at how much better he looked early on (which isn't saying much in a way, since he seemed completely lost last year), and he has the ability to be a solid shooter, which we obviously need. 

If I had to choose between Anderson and Hunter at the 3, I would pick Hunter.  Current Hunter, not mythical pre injury Hunter.  I think their lows are about the same, but Hunter offers higher highs.  He can play in the post against smaller defenders where Anderson is perimeter only.  I dont think either stands out from the other on defense so the versitility on offense is where Hunter gets the edge.

In a perfect world id like to see Rob, Green, Hunter, Smith and TJD.

38 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

If I had to choose between Anderson and Hunter at the 3, I would pick Hunter.  Current Hunter, not mythical pre injury Hunter.  I think their lows are about the same, but Hunter offers higher highs.  He can play in the post against smaller defenders where Anderson is perimeter only.  I dont think either stands out from the other on defense so the versitility on offense is where Hunter gets the edge.

In a perfect world id like to see Rob, Green, Hunter, Smith and TJD.

Not sure why you have to choose one or the other, when there's 40 minutes in a game. Both should be getting time on the court, and I'd agree that Hunter should get more minutes, but that's largely based on health with him.

It's past time in the season where we can give kids extended trials to figure it out.  While Anderson looked good early in the season, he's struggling right now.  And, Jerome simply has been unable to reclaim the promise he obviously had before his condition.  Playing those guys minutes against the top half of our conference simply is not going to work at this point.

We're already almost force to play Armaan more than optimal because of how thin we are at guard.  You put two of those guys on the floor at one time and we have, at best, only three guys on the floor than can score.  And that is further complicated by the fact that even the guys we have that can score are wildly inconsistent.  

Any way you cut it, TJD, Smith, and Brunk are 3 of our 5 best players.  And, Race and Deron both need 5-7 minutes a game (Race sometimes more)  It would be different if Jerome and Damezi were contributing, bit they are not  Who do you take minutes from among those 5 front court guys to play Damezi and Jerome?  Deron and Race are already playing the bare minimum, so you would be taking minutes from one of our 3 best players.

Give me a minutes breakdown that lets us play 30 minutes of small ball every game.

This is not a hope or suggestion but rather a question for those that know more than i do on the subject....

With DA and JH seemingly not progressing the way we had hpoed and 3 players comming in that are similar, what are the chances they are urged to seek other opprotunities?

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

It's past time in the season where we can give kids extended trials to figure it out.  While Anderson looked good early in the season, he's struggling right now.  And, Jerome simply has been unable to reclaim the promise he obviously had before his condition.  Playing those guys minutes against the top half of our conference simply is not going to work at this point.

We're already almost force to play Armaan more than optimal because of how thin we are at guard.  You put two of those guys on the floor at one time and we have, at best, only three guys on the floor than can score.  And that is further complicated by the fact that even the guys we have that can score are wildly inconsistent.  

Any way you cut it, TJD, Smith, and Brunk are 3 of our 5 best players.  And, Race and Deron both need 5-7 minutes a game (Race sometimes more)  It would be different if Jerome and Damezi were contributing, bit they are not  Who do you take minutes from among those 5 front court guys to play Damezi and Jerome?  Deron and Race are already playing the bare minimum, so you would be taking minutes from one of our 3 best players.

Give me a minutes breakdown that lets us play 30 minutes of small ball every game.

My version of small ball means 3 guards at dang near all 40 minutes.  

3 positions 120 minutes divided by Al, Green, Rob, and Armaan.  Sprinkle Demezi I'm for a defensive energy burst of 2 or 3 minutes a half.  Jerome gets one heat check per game to see if it will ever go down.  

Justin or race never play a ball handling, decision making wing that can't shoot.  I feel terrible for Deron but he might get to come in and foul the Purdue guys a few times. 

Play TJD, Brunk, and Smith almost all 80 minutes of the 4/5 spots.  Race has mot shown anything against good competition.  

Archived