What Changes Would You Make...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

It's past time in the season where we can give kids extended trials to figure it out.  While Anderson looked good early in the season, he's struggling right now.  And, Jerome simply has been unable to reclaim the promise he obviously had before his condition.  Playing those guys minutes against the top half of our conference simply is not going to work at this point.

We're already almost force to play Armaan more than optimal because of how thin we are at guard.  You put two of those guys on the floor at one time and we have, at best, only three guys on the floor than can score.  And that is further complicated by the fact that even the guys we have that can score are wildly inconsistent.  

Any way you cut it, TJD, Smith, and Brunk are 3 of our 5 best players.  And, Race and Deron both need 5-7 minutes a game (Race sometimes more)  It would be different if Jerome and Damezi were contributing, bit they are not  Who do you take minutes from among those 5 front court guys to play Damezi and Jerome?  Deron and Race are already playing the bare minimum, so you would be taking minutes from one of our 3 best players.

Give me a minutes breakdown that lets us play 30 minutes of small ball every game.

My version of small ball means 3 guards at dang near all 40 minutes.  

3 positions 120 minutes divided by Al, Green, Rob, and Armaan.  Sprinkle Demezi I'm for a defensive energy burst of 2 or 3 minutes a half.  Jerome gets one heat check per game to see if it will ever go down.  

Justin or race never play a ball handling, decision making wing that can't shoot.  I feel terrible for Deron but he might get to come in and foul the Purdue guys a few times. 

Play TJD, Brunk, and Smith almost all 80 minutes of the 4/5 spots.  Race has mot shown anything against good competition.  

This article shows the 10 most frequest lineups over the past 5 games- https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/01/09/miller-debates-shortening-rotation-strength-in-numbers-is-only-going-so-far-right-now/

With talk of shortening the rotation, I don't see Justin starting at the 4. If Green gets reduced minutes, That leaves three guards. A three guard lineup wont work with that. DA and JH don't seem to be the answer at the 3.  With TJD and Brunk producing, Justin is stuck at the 3. Otherwise you are replacing Brunk with Damezi? The most production has come from Al, Justin, TJD and Brunk.  Add Rob and you have our starting 5. CAM seems to have liked the energy from Davis and Race but they just aren't producing in games. I think we need Rob in the starting lineup, need to wait until the 8 min mark to begin subbing and cut the minutes in half for the non starters.  When Brunk or TJD need rest, Justin can slide to the 4 and Franklin, Green, Damezi or Hunter can get a chance at the 3.

23 minutes ago, Reacher said:

This article shows the 10 most frequest lineups over the past 5 games- https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/01/09/miller-debates-shortening-rotation-strength-in-numbers-is-only-going-so-far-right-now/

With talk of shortening the rotation, I don't see Justin starting at the 4. If Green gets reduced minutes, That leaves three guards. A three guard lineup wont work with that. DA and JH don't seem to be the answer at the 3.  With TJD and Brunk producing, Justin is stuck at the 3. Otherwise you are replacing Brunk with Damezi? The most production has come from Al, Justin, TJD and Brunk.  Add Rob and you have our starting 5. CAM seems to have liked the energy from Davis and Race but they just aren't producing in games. I think we need Rob in the starting lineup, need to wait until the 8 min mark to begin subbing and cut the minutes in half for the non starters.  When Brunk or TJD need rest, Justin can slide to the 4 and Franklin, Green, Damezi or Hunter can get a chance at the 3.

i agree with all of this as long as Smith is not a problem.  if he doesn't have Smith's respect and that really was an altercation on the sideline, then he needs to sit regardless of if we need him.  assuming that is not the case, start RP, Al, Smith, TJD, and Brunk.  play them big minutes.  play Franklin to give RP and Al breaks.  play Davis a little to spell TJD and Brunk.  play Anderson and Hunter as little as possible, but sprinkle them in to get guys some rest.  

There is a LOT of speculation with respect to the Justin "disrespecting" Archie thing. He came off the court, Archie asked him something, he stopped and gave him a quick response where he was obviously frustrated, and it was right after we had given up an easy layup on what had to be a missed assignment on defense. I don't think anyone knows what JS and Archie said to each other, and JS came back later in the game and played well.

I get that there's a lot of frustration going on here, but let's stop creating problems and "disrespect" that might not even be there. 

11 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

There is a LOT of speculation with respect to the Justin "disrespecting" Archie thing. He came off the court, Archie asked him something, he stopped and gave him a quick response where he was obviously frustrated, and it was right after we had given up an easy layup on what had to be a missed assignment on defense. I don't think anyone knows what JS and Archie said to each other, and JS came back later in the game and played well.

I get that there's a lot of frustration going on here, but let's stop creating problems and "disrespect" that might not even be there. 

CAM was asking him what happened and he replied. The reading into people's expressions and this kind of silliness is just so ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

First, the author, apparently out of perceived necessity, simply plugs players into positions 1-5 in referring to our most used lineups. That's just lazy. Beating the completely beaten horse to death, we're not playing 5 traditional positions, we've been playing a 3-big lineup, 2 guards and 3 bigs. The 1-5 is misleading. He then goes on to say (which is obvious) Brunk, TJD and Smith are in the most frequently used lineups, and are "safe." OK -- they are used together in 5 of the most frequently used lineups, and we lose, can't shoot and can't defend. They did close out the game well, though, of course, that ignores Justin's 5 first half TO's. Changes needed are not just benching Green. Justin playing -- however you want to call it -- on the perimeter is the wrong answer.

Btw, also from ITH in the 5 takeways from the game:

· Durham provides guard production, leadership down the stretch: It had been a rough three-game stretch for Al Durham Jr. entering Wednesday’s contest.

The lefty guard had a total of just 12 points against Notre Dame, Arkansas and Maryland and his ejection against the Razorbacks was a costly mistake.

But Durham returned to the effective form he showed often in November with a 16-point night against Northwestern. Durham didn’t shoot it well from the field (2-for-7) and took some wild shots at the rim, but he was aggressive and got to the line 12 times, which was a big offensive boost for the Hoosiers.

More importantly, the junior looked like a leader down the stretch for an Indiana team that is desperately lacking one in its senior class.

and:

· Indiana’s defense continues to underwhelm: Through four games, Indiana’s defense is one of the Big Ten’s worst.

And as scrutinized as the offense has been in recent weeks, the defense might be the more alarming problem.

The Hoosiers allowed Northwestern to get comfortable early, which gave the outmanned Wildcats confidence that never went away. And despite allowing Northwestern to score only .89 points per possession, Indiana’s defense in league play is allowing 1.1 points per trip overall. Two of IU’s opponents in the opening four games have been the league’s worst teams in Northwestern and Nebraska.

-- So WHY is our D allowing teams to score like this? Is it because of Green, or, just maybe, does it have to do with playing a 3 big lineup? That's the problem, when you send Brunk out to defend the perimeter, etc., it's not going to work.

27 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

First, the author, apparently out of perceived necessity, simply plugs players into positions 1-5 in referring to our most used lineups. That's just lazy. Beating the completely beaten horse to death, we're not playing 5 traditional positions, we've been playing a 3-big lineup, 2 guards and 3 bigs. The 1-5 is misleading. He then goes on to say (which is obvious) Brunk, TJD and Smith are in the most frequently used lineups, and are "safe." OK -- they are used together in 5 of the most frequently used lineups, and we lose, can't shoot and can't defend. They did close out the game well, though, of course, that ignores Justin's 5 first half TO's. Changes needed are not just benching Green. Justin playing -- however you want to call it -- on the perimeter is the wrong answer.

The stats were from KenPom. I don't think there is any specific reference to positions just a way to number the players.  I want Justin more at the "4" as well (except in the rare cases where the other team has two legit bigs on the floor) but my point is that with the current roster and an attempt to shorten the rotation and the possibility of Greens minutes being shortened, there is not enough quality and depth to put Justin at the "4" for extended minutes. 

Edited to add-

In other words, I can see why CAM is forced to play Justin at the wing because otherwise you have to sit Brunk to play Damezi or a third guard in which case you are going to need to dip into the walk ons for guard depth (which I don't think is a bad thing).

31 minutes ago, Reacher said:

The stats were from KenPom. I don't think there is any specific reference to positions just a way to number the players.  I want Justin more at the "4" as well (except in the rare cases where the other team has two legit bigs on the floor) but my point is that with the current roster and an attempt to shorten the rotation and the possibility of Greens minutes being shortened, there is not enough quality and depth to put Justin at the "4" for extended minutes. 

Edited to add-

In other words, I can see why CAM is forced to play Justin at the wing because otherwise you have to sit Brunk to play Damezi or a third guard in which case you are going to need to dip into the walk ons for guard depth (which I don't think is a bad thing).

I hear where you're coming from. I would like to see more of Rob, Al, Franklin, Smith, TJD / Rob, Green, Al, Franklin, TJD / Rob, Al, Hunter, Smith, TJD.... I would like to see less of the 3 big lineup, there are a number of options, and I continue to want to see more of Hunter and Demez -- they are getting short minutes, I disagree with the perception that they can't contribute at a higher level, when you keep playing guys 2-9 minutes there isn't much they can show, both have shown high level D and the ability to contribute from the wing, at times. The 3-big lineup, in large stretches, is not going to suddenly be more effective.

Here's what really bums me out. On paper, this was what we had coming into the season:

RP - outside of healthy, showed everything and more of what you would want in a freshman PG

DG - probably our best outside shooter, going into senior year, should be less erratic with more maturity

JH - supposed to be the prototypical 3, couldn't get on the court last year, supposed to be healthy

TJD - not much to say here, 5* stud

DD - Another senior, brought size, inside presence, and intensity to the court last year

That's one potential starting five that should have been solid, with a nice mix of youth and experience, outside shooting, ability to drive, and some size inside. Then you're looking at a bench of Justin, Al, AF, Damezi, Brunk, and Race - size, guard play, outside shooting, both youth and experience, lots of flexibility here.

Instead, outside of TJD, none of these guys are improving. I get that health is an issue with some, but that's way too many players that have regressed. Something's up.

Archived