2023 NFL Discussion

rico

5 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

You misunderstood me. I am fine with drafting a corner in round 1. 

What hasn’t worked is Ballard going into a draft with glaring needs and being hell bent on getting someone at a certain position because we HAVE to get someone. 

I truly think Ballard would be really good at just drafting BPA, if he went into the draft with all the pressing needs filled. 

There's no way to fill the needs at WR unless it's through the draft, that's the thing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

You misunderstood me. I am fine with drafting a corner in round 1. 

What hasn’t worked is Ballard going into a draft with glaring needs and being hell bent on getting someone at a certain position because we HAVE to get someone. 

I truly think Ballard would be really good at just drafting BPA, if he went into the draft with all the pressing needs filled. 

Ballard is very much a measurables, numbers, testing guy. Every position has been a position of need for us…so hard to say that’s what he is going after. He goes for these Uber athletes that test and measure off the charts and honestly I think he does go for bpa. My issue is that leads to a lot of boom or bust…and unfortunately the booms have been at positions like LB, RB, G etc but those aren’t positions that you can’t get similar replacement production from back ups.

the positions that are game wreckers/changers like pass rushers, wr, qb, lock down corners or game changing DT he just hasn’t drafted well. I don’t think we are drafting an early wr this year. We have invested multiple 2nd rd picks and 3rd rd picks in our receivers. Sure we will draft another but I’d be shocked if it’s in the first 3 rds. 

I think he goes bpa but my hopes is that it’s a proven, productive player, but one that can make a difference on the game. I would be thrilled if a top corner or interior defensive lineman etc was there for us.

Edited by dgambill

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Ballard is very much a measurables, numbers, testing guy. Every position has been a position of need for us…so hard to say that’s what he is going after. He goes for these Uber athletes that test and measure off the charts and honestly I think he does go for bpa. My issue is that leads to a lot of boom or bust…and unfortunately the booms have been at positions like LB, RB, G etc but those aren’t positions that you can’t get similar replacement production from back ups.

the positions that are game wreckers/changers like pass rushers, wr, qb, lock down corners or game changing DT he just hasn’t drafted well. I don’t think we are drafting an early wr this year. We have invested multiple 2nd rd picks and 3rd rd picks in our receivers. Sure we will draft another but I’d be shocked if it’s in the first 3 rds. 

I think he goes bpa but my hopes is that it’s a proven, productive player, but one that can make a difference on the game. I would be thrilled if a top corner or interior defensive lineman etc was there for us.

The Colts need so much talent still, just take the BPA at a premium position, whether corner, Receiver, edge, even an offensive tackle. 

Supposedly a deep receiver draft, so maybe you wait until Friday to get one. 

Caleb Williams is I believe the first player ever to decline medical exams at combine. Only my Bears could find themselves in this position. Get the major haul last year...have the haul this year....and we still have more questions than answers on what to do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Caleb Williams is I believe the first player ever to decline medical exams at combine. Only my Bears could find themselves in this position. Get the major haul last year...have the haul this year....and we still have more questions than answers on what to do. 

First thought is major red flag.  Second thought is will he do a private one for individual teams?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think Bowers moves the needle for the Colts. The TE is solid and getting better as is. 

I wouldn't be upset if they took him, though. 

You without question know much much more about this game than I do and I respect all you bring. I am just a fan of it. Bowers does something for me though. I think he with Mallory and Grandson give us something special. I hope he falls to the Colts. I agree TE is solid but I think this guy is gonna be special. The best teams in this league have a special TE. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Not that he is any kind of expert, but my 11 year old (as of today) son talks non stop about the Colts drafting Bowers. Because of that, I’m on the Bowers train. I can’t see him falling to the Colts though. 

Little Keet has and eye I can trust. I just don't see him dropping that far but if he does I hope that Colts snag him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

You without question know much much more about this game than I do and I respect all you bring. I am just a fan of it. Bowers does something for me though. I think he with Mallory and Grandson give us something special. I hope he falls to the Colts. I agree TE is solid but I think this guy is gonna be special. The best teams in this league have a special TE. 

I can get down with that. 

His lack of height worries me a little, he isn't a bonfide redzone threat, and we really could use one.. Jelani!!! Cough cough. 

Again-- won't be mad, like at all, the kid can play.. my personal preference is trading back... I know that's not a popular opinion for most. 

4 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Not that he is any kind of expert, but my 11 year old (as of today) son talks non stop about the Colts drafting Bowers. Because of that, I’m on the Bowers train. I can’t see him falling to the Colts though. 

I was your 11yr old at one point in life.. LOVED the draft. I'd watch every pick growing up. All day Sat and all day Sunday. Not nearly as much anymore, but man I still love it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I can get down with that. 

His lack of height worries me a little, he isn't a bonfide redzone threat, and we really could use one.. Jelani!!! Cough cough. 

Again-- won't be mad, like at all, the kid can play.. my personal preference is trading back... I know that's not a popular opinion for most. 

I was your 11yr old at one point in life.. LOVED the draft. I'd watch every pick growing up. All day Sat and all day Sunday. Not nearly as much anymore, but man I still love it. 

He wouldn’t shut up last year about how he thought CJ Stroud was the best QB in the draft. He desperately wanted him to fall to the Colts. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

He wouldn’t shut up last year about how he thought CJ Stroud was the best QB in the draft. He desperately wanted him to fall to the Colts. 

Well on the bright side, maybe he has a career in scouting at the very least.  Hit on a few guys like Stroud and he'll be a gm by 25.  Start sending in his resume now.  

12 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

First thought is major red flag.  Second thought is will he do a private one for individual teams?

He is going to submit to medical exams for the teams he visits with. Apparently he does not want to turn his head and cough 32 times while in Indy. After looking into it more, I don't see the big deal. It seems a little over the top that these guys normally get exams from every single team? Why not just one exam by a NFL approved medical staff? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Hey!!! CJ is going to be a solid 2nd best QB in that draft!! ;)

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

image.png.c577b312cc927ad21955f749a6f203a1.png

Caleb and Odunze and let's go!!

I know it's wishful thinking on my part but this Nabers kid I think is really, really special. Just don't think there's a scenario where he would fall to 9.

Have to think Arizona, Giants, Chargers all will go WR...especially the first two. One small chance is that Harbaugh goes a different route and drafts OL because you know he'll want to secure the line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I know it's wishful thinking on my part but this Nabers kid I think is really, really special. Just don't think there's a scenario where he would fall to 9.

Have to think Arizona, Giants, Chargers all will go WR...especially the first two. One small chance is that Harbaugh goes a different route and drafts OL because you know he'll want to secure the line. 

Yeah, I like Nabers, but figured he was going before Bears have a chance. I'm all in on Caleb right now...I admit I'm officially drinking the Kool-aid!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Yeah, I like Nabers, but figured he was going before Bears have a chance. I'm all in on Caleb right now...I admit I'm officially drinking the Kool-aid!

Man I'm still 50/50. I just don't know what to do yet. Build around Fields with MHJ and others, get another haul of draft picks for this year and 25...I think people might forget we still get Carolina's 2nd next year which is going to be probably a top 35 pick. 

Guess I'll worry about that later. 

• Like 3

I know RB's are dime a dozen but this Isaac Guerendo dude has my interest peaked. Most of the projections I see are 4th round but I could see a team like Chiefs or 49ers..or even the Dolphins wanting a kid like this.

His times yesterday were the fastest of anyone his size.

• Like 1

So Broncos GM George Patton gave up 2 1's, 2 2's a 5th rounder and 3 players to get Russell Wilson. 

I'm trying to think of all time worst trades. Herschel. The Bears fleecing of Carolina. Maybe Ricky Williams for the entire draft...those 3 come to mind. I'm sure there are others...but now you have $85M of dead $ for next two years. See you down the road Broncos.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

So Broncos GM George Patton gave up 2 1's, 2 2's a 5th rounder and 3 players to get Russell Wilson. 

I'm trying to think of all time worst trades. Herschel. The Bears fleecing of Carolina. Maybe Ricky Williams for the entire draft...those 3 come to mind. I'm sure there are others...but now you have $85M of dead $ for next two years. See you down the road Broncos.

The Colts moving 2 spots--- so the Jets could get Sam Darnold for 5 picks lol... two of them being Darius Leonard and Braden Smith. 

• Like 1