2023 NFL Discussion

rico

I'm still unsure what to make of the Eagles. On one hand, they're obviously a really good team in all areas, but part of me still thinks they're a year away.

I think how dominant they've been in the first half kind of hurts them, and when it comes down to the playoffs and they've got to beat a Brady, Rodgers, Stafford, etc. I think that may catch them. I hope I'm wrong about that because they're a really fun team and Nick Sirianni is an awesome dude. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm still unsure what to make of the Eagles. On one hand, they're obviously a really good team in all areas, but part of me still thinks they're a year away.

I think how dominant they've been in the first half kind of hurts them, and when it comes down to the playoffs and they've got to beat a Brady, Rodgers, Stafford, etc. I think that may catch them. I hope I'm wrong about that because they're a really fun team and Nick Sirianni is an awesome dude. 

Agree. The Eagles are a damn good football team, im just not sure how good yet. 

The 6-0 is a little smoke and mirrors. We got the Vikings and Cowboys at home, then otherwise the schedule has been really soft. 

The second half thing is really concerning. We storm out to a big lead, but always come out flat in the 2nd half. The offense has been terrible in the 2nd half and specifically brutal in 3rd quarters. Then we rely on the run game in the 4th to put games away. 

The Eagles have great lines on both sides, a really strong secondary, strong skill position guys on offense and Hurts has been really good for the most part. 

I'm worried about the offensive and defensive coordinators, given our 2nd half performances, and also wonder if part of that is on Hurts? Does it take a team a half to figure him out?

I really like this team, but not sure we can win a 2nd half shoot-out in December/January when it matters. The good news is most teams seem to be struggling offensively. 

• Like 1

I'll be the first to admit I've been pretty hard on the Colts (I think justifiably so), but here are some good Colts things:

• If the Playoffs started today, they're in
  • If they Colts win next week, they are really in the drivers seat to win the division
  • Matt Ryan, despite his struggles, is number 2 in the NFL in passing yards
  • Pittman is top 10 in catches, yards per game, and YAC among WR.
  • Pierce is turning into a really good number two option (or maybe 1b after this year)
  • Defense for the most part has been pretty dang good, despite Leonard only playing one half all year.
  • Maybe we figured out the line finally on Sunday? Certainly a huge improvement over the first game against the Jags. Getting Taylor and Hines back when we have other things that can work on offense has the potential to make this offense dangerous. 
  • Frank has been pretty good with his decision making and play calling the past two games IMO.

This team is sucking me in again and making me think two months from now we could once again be the team no one wants to play in the playoffs. Just hope we don't collapse like last year.

EDIT: Matt Ryan has been really good when it mattered in 5 of our 6 games. 

• Game 1: Led a big comeback and we should have won
  • Game 2: Everything on the team sucked
  • Game 3: Lead a 16 play TD drive that ate up almost the entire 4Q for the win, giving the Chiefs virtually no time to do anything
  • Game 4: Led us into scoring territory twice late, Taylor fumbled one and we missed a FG on another. Not much to complain about from Ryan.
  • Game 5: 4Q and OT against the Broncos, Ryan came on to get us scores when we needed them. 
  • Game 6: MONEY!! Great recognition to see Pierce had a 1 on 1 against a guy who couldn't cover him and instead of settling for a long field goal, he took the easy, safe (yes, a downfield throw when your WR has the guy cooked is safe) touchdown. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'll be the first to admit I've been pretty hard on the Colts (I think justifiably so), but here are some good Colts things:

• If the Playoffs started today, they're in
  • If they Colts win next week, they are really in the drivers seat to win the division
  • Matt Ryan, despite his struggles, is number 2 in the NFL in passing yards
  • Pittman is top 10 in catches, yards per game, and YAC among WR.
  • Pierce is turning into a really good number two option (or maybe 1b after this year)
  • Defense for the most part has been pretty dang good, despite Leonard only playing one half all year.
  • Maybe we figured out the line finally on Sunday? Certainly a huge improvement over the first game against the Jags. Getting Taylor and Hines back when we have other things that can work on offense has the potential to make this offense dangerous. 
  • Frank has been pretty good with his decision making and play calling the past two games IMO.

This team is sucking me in again and making me think two months from now we could once again be the team no one wants to play in the playoffs. Just hope we don't collapse like last year.

EDIT: Matt Ryan has been really good when it mattered in 5 of our 6 games. 

• Game 1: Led a big comeback and we should have won
  • Game 2: Everything on the team sucked
  • Game 3: Lead a 16 play TD drive that ate up almost the entire 4Q for the win, giving the Chiefs virtually no time to do anything
  • Game 4: Led us into scoring territory twice late, Taylor fumbled one and we missed a FG on another. Not much to complain about from Ryan.
  • Game 5: 4Q and OT against the Broncos, Ryan came on to get us scores when we needed them. 
  • Game 6: MONEY!! Great recognition to see Pierce had a 1 on 1 against a guy who couldn't cover him and instead of settling for a long field goal, he took the easy, safe (yes, a downfield throw when your WR has the guy cooked is safe) touchdown. 

Someone on BTBers told me Pittman was closer to a WR3 this coming year, than he was a WR1. Couldn't believe what I was reading. I loved the way we used Pitt yesterday. His YAC is a weapon, he's physical as hell. Love being able to go to Jelani, as well, and Granson was huge before the half. It was nice to see PC continuously involved. 

• Like 1

Per CBS:

With Jonathan Taylor out, the Colts decided to give up on the run and let Matt Ryan sling the ball, and surprisingly, that strategy actually worked. Ryan threw 58 passes against the Jaguars and more importantly, he completed 42 of them, which was the highest single-game total of his 15-year career. Ryan was especially good during a second half where the Colts scored a touchdown all three times they touched the ball. Ryan's 389-yard day was capped with a 32-yard scoring throw to Alec Pierce with just 17 seconds left to play. This was the Matt Ryan the Colts thought they were getting when they originally traded for the former Falcons QB and if this Matt Ryan continues to show up this season, the Colts could become a dangerous team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Someone on BTBers told me Pittman was closer to a WR3 this coming year, than he was a WR1. Couldn't believe what I was reading. I loved the way we used Pitt yesterday. His YAC is a weapon, he's physical as hell. Love being able to go to Jelani, as well, and Granson was huge before the half. It was nice to see PC continuously involved. 

I really like Granson and Woods long-term outlook. Think both of those guys can be weapons in the passing game - Granson between the 20s especially and Woods anywhere, but especially the red zone. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I really like Granson and Woods long-term outlook. Think both of those guys can be weapons in the passing game - Granson between the 20s especially and Woods anywhere, but especially the red zone. 

And by all accounts... Ogletree had actually out played Woods in the pre season!

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I thought a lot of the games Sunday were really good and probably the best weekend of games this year.  I don't know how you thought last night's games was entertaining 

Next year you need to join our HSN Fantasy league.  When you have a stake in how individual players perform, the game becomes more interesting.  

It can work even if you dont have a player in the game, because your opponent might, so you're also rooting against certain players and teams.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Next year you need to join our HSN Fantasy league.  When you have a stake in how individual players perform, the game becomes more interesting.  

It can work even if you dont have a player in the game, because your opponent might, so you're also rooting against certain players and teams.

I don't know if I can take an entire year of hearing how fantasy sports were better in the Cold War. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I just stay in the pickem contest and kick everyone's butt.  To me it takes to much time and effort to really try and do well in fantasy sports. When I think of fantasy it is not about a bunch of men playing sports.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I just stay in the pickem contest and kick everyone's butt.  To me it takes to much time and effort to really try and do well in fantasy sports. When I think of fantasy it is not about a bunch of men playing sports.

Yeah, you definitely don't spend all sorts of time online with regards to sports...

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I thought a lot of the games Sunday were really good and probably the best weekend of games this year.  I don't know how you thought last night's games was entertaining 

So the game was boring...not entertaining... and yet, you watched.  Was that for the entire game?  Just curious.

• Like 2