2023 NFL Discussion

rico

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

9 days isn't long enough between our next game to get the bad taste of that game out of my mouth. 2x inside the 5 zero points. Missed easy lob throw to tight end. Open receivers. Missed. Velus Jones....I have no clue what you were doing fielding a punt inside your own 5...line still sucks, receivers suck and Fields is what he is. A QB still unfortunately learning.

Otherwise I'm in a great mood about my Bears! Haha.

You know it’s bad when the highlight of the game was the views of the Chicago skyline at night.  But seriously, the Bears need to use the QB differently.  I was at a football watch party and we all wanted him out of the pocket moving around.

Good coaches adapt their system for their personnel.   It is not jamming your system down a player’s throat when his skill set is something different.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

9 days isn't long enough between our next game to get the bad taste of that game out of my mouth. 2x inside the 5 zero points. Missed easy lob throw to tight end. Open receivers. Missed. Velus Jones....I have no clue what you were doing fielding a punt inside your own 5...line still sucks, receivers suck and Fields is what he is. A QB still unfortunately learning.

I really thought the Bears were gonna pull it out.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Mooney has to make a clean catch at the goal line.  Just has to.  

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Bears need an alpha receiver.  Mooney and Pettis are secondary targets, IMO.   Kmet is another guy I’d work in more.   Mooney has to get stronger, especially with his hands.  Yes, the defender was on him, but if he held it stronger he looked across the plane. 

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree.  I said this earlier in the thread.  Two byes.  One goes before a Thursday night game. Make every team play one Thursday. The quality of those games will go up and the players will be safer.  Plus they would play one game in 20 days with two ten day rest periods.  All of that would be in addition to another bye.   

I agree. We already added another game…I imagine they will want to go to 18 soon…so no doubt they need two bye weeks…either before Thursday game or after London game…or both.

• Like 1

Fields isn’t this GM and coaches guy. I would not be shocked if they tried to move on from him. Guy just doesn’t read the field and is too inaccurate. Saw it at Ohio St and it’s worse in the NFL. He hangs on to the ball because he has to wait to see a guy open or he keys in on what he wants and if the defense doesn’t give it to him doesn’t know where to go with the ball. I’m sure people will want to compare him to Jalen Hurts but we will just have to see. At least Philly went out and got him an offensive minded coach and weapons…Bears didn’t and don’t have luxury of high picks because they traded up for him….the vision for the team is awful imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

That and the pretty obvious PI on third down.

Fields was certainly not great, but I didn't think he was bad either. The pick kinda is what it is, it was a tipped pass. But he ran well, made some plays in key moments, the TD pass he threw was a GREAT throw, and he should have led a two-minute drive for a win. Threw two really good balls on third and fourth down after the clutch run to get them down there. 

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

Still nutty to me the NFL asks their players to play 2 games in the span of 4.5 days. Absolutely wild. 

I heard on the radio that the average  combined score on Thursday night games is 37.5 where Sunday night games is 45.5

I know some could be who is playing but  think a lot of the bad play is the short turn around.  I think for the health of the players and for the good of the game they need to stop playing on Thursday.

Edited by IU Scott

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I heard on the radio that the average  combined score on Thursday night games is 37.5 where Sunday night games is 45.5

I know some could be who is playing but  think a lot of the bad play is the short turn around.  I think for the health of the players and for the good of the game they need to stop playing on Thursday.

Because of the requirement that all NFL teams get at least one prime time slot, the Thursday night games get some bad matchups.  You would never see Bears/Commanders on Sunday night.

As a Bengals fan, I remember all the years where the Bengals got their one Thursday game, and never sniffed Sunday or Monday.  And, that Thursday game was usually against another bad team like the Browns or Jaguars. 

If memory serves me correctly, there was a stretch of 3 straight years where the Bengals prime time game was a Thursday night against the Browns. 

Basically, if you have one really bad team, pair it up with another bad team so the game is at least close.  As bad as 12-7 is, it's better than 41-3.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Colts had like 110 rushing yards last week without those two

Yes…and that’s because the defense wasn’t keying on the run with predictable play calls that we’ve had with Taylor in. Don’t get me wrong it was a pathetic offensive game until the 4th quarter and overtime but it was still better play calling then we’ve seen previously…Denver just has a good defense.