2023 NFL Discussion

rico

17 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You really think that the team that caused this whole thing to come about so quickly is going to publicly speak out against the league and the new rule? You really think they are that stupid?

For the record, there is no evidence to point to Bridgewater being impaired. No tape, to tests, no doctor's report, nothing. My claim is that the league rushed to put something in place due to the negative publicity surrounding the whole issue, that they provided no training to the spotters to ensure this was done properly, and that the spotter in question was a little ambitious in his interpretation of the new rule. Whether he was in error or not, neither you or I know. I am hoping the league puts some guidelines in place so that this doesn't happen again.

From what I understand he passed all protocols.

The easiest thing in the world is to be overly cautious.  The problem with that is that this Bridgewater's profession.  He lost an opportunity to play where he could have showcased himself.   You have to sometimes make a more complicated call.  If the doctors now just hold everyone out all the time, that is inappropriate.  These guys picked playing football as their profession.  There is an understanding that goes with that.  The doctors should be making these calls based on the medicine, not overly-reactionary legal mumbo jumbo.  The NFLPA and the league are in CYA mode, not what is right mode.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Thanks 1

Per CBS:

• Historical Super Bowl hangover. It's not often that the Super Bowl hangover hits both teams that played in the Super Bowl, but that seems to be happening this year. With the Bengals and Rams both at 2-3, this season marks just the third time in NFL history that both teams from the prior year's Super Bowl both have a losing record after five weeks. The only other times is happened came after Super Bowl XXII (Washington-Denver) and after Super Bowl XXXIII (Denver-Atlanta).  

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You really think that the team that caused this whole thing to come about so quickly is going to publicly speak out against the league and the new rule? You really think they are that stupid?

For the record, there is no evidence to point to Bridgewater being impaired. No tape, to tests, no doctor's report, nothing. My claim is that the league rushed to put something in place due to the negative publicity surrounding the whole issue, that they provided no training to the spotters to ensure this was done properly, and that the spotter in question was a little ambitious in his interpretation of the new rule. Whether he was in error or not, neither you or I know. I am hoping the league puts some guidelines in place so that this doesn't happen again.

I agree, neither of us know. I'm well aware of that and approaching my point of view that I don't know, and you are making accusations. 

KOB Position = I don't know, there's no evidence either way

Steuben Position = I know and what happened was wrong, but there is no evidence either way. 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

From what I understand he passed all protocols.

The easiest thing in the world is to be overly cautious.  The problem with that is that this Bridgewater's profession.  He lost an opportunity to play where he could have showcased himself.   You have to sometimes make a more complicated call.  If the doctors now just hold everyone out all the time, that is inappropriate.  These guys picked playing football as their profession.  There is an understanding that goes with that.  The doctors should be making these calls based on the medicine, not overly-reactionary legal mumbo jumbo.  The NFLPA and the league are in CYA mode, not what is right mode.

Tua also passed all protocols. That's why they added the spotters because despite Tua passing all protocols, he clearly was concussed. If saying a guy who is unable to stand up straight can't play is too cautious then so be it, I don't personally agree.

Now if we are saying Bridgewater never wobbled, I'm all ears for that and am more than willing to say there were major mistakes made. But so far no one has shown a video of Bridgewater after the play that I've seen. 

Edited by KoB2011

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Tua also passed all protocols. That's why they added the spotters because despite Tua passing all protocols, he clearly was concussed. If saying a guy who is unable to stand up straight can't play is too cautious then so be it, I don't personally agree.

Now if we are saying Bridgewater never wobbled, I'm all ears for that and am more than willing to say there were major mistakes made. But so far no one has shown a video of Bridgewater after the play that I've seen. 

Where did you get that Tua was clearly concussed?  I assume you mean in the Buffalo game.  That has not been established.

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Where did you get that Tua was clearly concussed?  I assume you mean in the Buffalo game.  That has not been established.

Yes, I got it from my eyes. The reason it hasn't been established is because of the fact that he went back in the game after the stumble where he was clearly concussed, and it changed how he had to be monitored and evaluated after the game. The dudes head whiplashed and slammed into the ground, then he couldn't get up afterwards. What was that, if not a head injury? It certainly wasn't a back injury. 

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, I got it from my eyes. The reason it hasn't been established is because of the fact that he went back in the game after the stumble where he was clearly concussed, and it changed how he had to be monitored and evaluated after the game. The dudes head whiplashed and slammed into the ground, then he couldn't get up afterwards. What was that, if not a head injury? It certainly wasn't a back injury. 

I thought he was concussed as I happened to see it either live or soon after.  But the doctors who examined him claimed he was not concussed and they tested him.  He did get hit in the head twice in four days and that is no bueno.  The last thing I--or any rational fan--wants is a player to get CTE.  I just don't think we can say he was definitively concussed without someone medical finding it in the record.  It is not unheard of to stagger without a brain injury.  It's happened to me.  I crashed my bike many years ago and did not hit my head.  I had the wind knocked out of me and got nauseous.  I staggered around from the pain until i caught my breath and orientation.  Tua did have a back injury earlier in the game, and the medical people confirmed it (although the investigative report chastised the protocol doctors for taking their word for it and not independently verifying it; that seems like a stretch when he is seen clearly reaching for his back on a goal line run).  

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I accept humans with my dna and similar traits will never be nfl players.  They keep getting stronger and faster, therefore the collisions continue to be more and more violent.  I'm ok with rule changes to a point.  Like the old school blowing up dudes from the neck up.  How much more do they protect the qb before it becomes unfair for the defense? 

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I accept humans with my dna and similar traits will never be nfl players.  They keep getting stronger and faster, therefore the collisions continue to be more and more violent.  I'm ok with rule changes to a point.  Like the old school blowing up dudes from the neck up.  How much more do they protect the qb before it becomes unfair for the defense? 

You can't him low, you can't hit him high, you can't land your body on him, but you can grab him at 330 lbs and drive him into the ground.  It's stupid.  You can say it is not fair to the defense but just tackle him, and not late.  It's the one position, where he is trying to do his job in an often stationary way and it is way too vulnerable to getting hit.

Let's see a LB stand there and have the QB drive him into the ground.  I doubt a 225 lb LB wants Cam Newton picking him up and slamming him into the ground, as he is standing there like a dead duck.  If you grab a guy, twirl him around where he can't protect himself, and then drive him into the ground head first because he has no control, guess what, you will get concussed.  This isn't new.  The Qb's of the 80's probably all had ten concussions.  

I just take exception to a LB moaning about protecting a QB when he himself is never in that position of having to stand there and take it.  There are too many concussions.

33 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You can't him low, you can't hit him high, you can't land your body on him, but you can grab him at 330 lbs and drive him into the ground.  It's stupid.  You can say it is not fair to the defense but just tackle him, and not late.  It's the one position, where he is trying to do his job in an often stationary way and it is way too vulnerable to getting hit.

Let's see a LB stand there and have the QB drive him into the ground.  I doubt a 225 lb LB wants Cam Newton picking him up and slamming him into the ground, as he is standing there like a dead duck.  If you grab a guy, twirl him around where he can't protect himself, and then drive him into the ground head first because he has no control, guess what, you will get concussed.  This isn't new.  The Qb's of the 80's probably all had ten concussions.  

I just take exception to a LB moaning about protecting a QB when he himself is never in that position of having to stand there and take it.  There are too many concussions.

Aren't those already illegal?  Maybe start ejecting guys for excessive driving or twirling them around like rag dolls.  Evidently a 15 yard penalty is worth potentially injuring a guy to some defenses.  So make the penalty more harsh? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Hey Zac Taylor.  The Raiders tries a pass from the 1 that did not work.  So, they decided to run the ball on 2nd down instead of trying a WR pass.  Surprisingly, the Raiders scored a touchdown.  

I think Zac heard you aleady.   He knows he screwed up.  😂

Edited by jv1972iu

1 minute ago, IUskim said:

Apparently Tom Brady isn’t the only one who gets an absolute garbage roughing the passer call. The chiefs got absolutely screwed. 

Terrible call, I agree.  But, the difference on this one is that there actually is a 'full body weight' rule.  Brady was taken down with a tackle we've seen thousands of times before and it was never called.  

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Terrible call, I agree.  But, the difference on this one is that there actually is a 'full body weight' rule.  Brady was taken down with a tackle we've seen thousands of times before and it was never called.  

True. However. Chris jones had his left hand out so by rule his full body weight was not on him…

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yep the defender can’t land on top of the QB.  The KC fans don’t understand the rule.  

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The NFL is becoming a total joke and they should just start playing flag football.  Football is so soft today and you can't even breath on the QB without roughing the passer.  That call on Jones for roughing the QB was atrocious.

I have no problem with the call.  If a 320 lb DT lands on Mahomes they’d want the same call.  

The NFL does need to be consistent in application of the rule though.  

3 minutes ago, IUskim said:

True. However. Chris jones had his left hand out so by rule his full body weight was not on him…

Agreed, and that is why it's a bad call.  However, if the official missed the hand down, it's understandable.  Brady's however, would be a laughable call if it was made in a pee-wee game.  

Edited by 5fouls