2023 NFL Discussion

rico

On 10/7/2022 at 1:57 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

Clearly the Colts have to play better. Cannot win many more games without improving offensive output.

O-line has to block better, but I take into consideration that they started a rookie at tackle, moved Smith into guard, lost Kelly and Hines early in the game. O-line play, more than any other unit on a team, has to be in cohesion. With a new center calling protections, a rookie from Germany with limited experience at tackle, running backs farther down the depth chart who probably weren't fully up to speed on their blocking responsibilities, and a quarterback still learning a new system, it doesn't surprise me how bad they looked last night. OTOH, they did run for over 100 yards, with that same patchwork line.

Ryan has to play better. No doubt about it. Putting in comparison:

Peyton was 2-3 his first 5 games with Denver

Brady was 3-2 his first 5 games with Tampa

Favre was 2-3 his first 5 games with Jets

Quarterbacks take time to adjust to new systems. New terminology, new teammates, new everything. I was listening to Pat Kirwin yesterday on NFL Radio, and he referred back to Manning's first year with Denver. He interviewed their head coach at the time, John Fox. Fox said that their training camp was spent "learning Peyton's offense". Meaning they didn't expect him to come in and learn their new systems. The team learned what Peyton had done all the years with the Colts. Makes sense, and maybe more teams need to go that route.

Not worried at all over the media backlash. They're paid to shill what sells. Bad news sells news.

I agree it may take some time…but comparing Peyton to Ryan’s change is night and day. Ryan isn’t coming off one of a neck surgery that almost ended his career and can still feel his finger tips. Ryan made some horrible decisions that a veteran shouldn’t make. Actually Wilson’s season mirrors Peyton’s more. Both limited by their injuries and it’s clear they haven’t gotten enough work in their new systems. Ryan should get better if we can protect him but if not he doesn’t have mobility or arm strength to save himself.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The Chargers coach is a complete idiot but got so lucky. Up two with around 2 min to go and a 4th and 1 at mid field and he went for it but didn't get it. Luckily for him the Browns missed a FG

Yeah. There is a difference in being aggressive and stupid. That move clearly falls on the side of stupid.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would bet coaches like Landry, Knolls, Lombardi and Shula are rolling over in their graves on the stupidity of today's coaches.

It is just a different game. All sports have evolved over the years. We have the same discussions in basketball and baseball.

Several coaches of this type ha e also been very very successful.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would bet coaches like Landry, Knolls, Lombardi and Shula are rolling over in their graves on the stupidity of today's coaches.

You realize that those guys may not be as good in today's game.  Bob Knight would not be the best coach in college basketball now either. His style does not translate as well to today's game.  

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You realize that those guys may not be as good in today's game.  Bob Knight would not be the best coach in college basketball now either. His style does not translate as well to today's game.  

I just talking about the bone head decisions that coaches make. What coach would be stupid enough to go for it at the 50 up 2 with 2 minutes the go in the game.  I talking about coaches using analytics to make crucial decisions instead of using your head.

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Let's not forget George Halas, Paul Brown, Curly Lambeau...and Chuck Noll.   😁

Edited by jv1972iu

51 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just talking about the bone head decisions that coaches make. What coach would be stupid enough to go for it at the 50 up 2 with 2 minutes the go in the game.  I talking about coaches using analytics to make crucial decisions instead of using your head.

giphy.gif