2023 NFL Discussion

rico

53 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

ESPN is showing them as being in the 8th position (and only 7 make it).  either way, I don't understand how 2-2-1 is ahead of some 2-2 teams and behind others.  It's like the tie is being ignored.

Yahoo Sports has the Colts in 7th. Too early to matter, but I think the AFC overall looks really mediocre. They have TN currently in a playoff spot despite being outscored 101-75. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

ESPN is showing them as being in the 8th position (and only 7 make it).  either way, I don't understand how 2-2-1 is ahead of some 2-2 teams and behind others.  It's like the tie is being ignored.

The tie is ignored, we have the same wins and losses as those 2-2 teams so it goes to the tiebreakers in standings. That's why we are in front of some and behind others. Once every team has played 17 games that tie will be very relevant, because it'll make for a .5 game difference one way or the other. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The tie is ignored, we have the same wins and losses as those 2-2 teams so it goes to the tiebreakers in standings. That's why we are in front of some and behind others. Once every team has played 17 games that tie will be very relevant, because it'll make for a .5 game difference one way or the other. 

.....sooooo, it's ignored right now and NOT ignored later.......lol 😵

Im Confused GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

51 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

.....sooooo, it's ignored right now and NOT ignored later.......lol 😵

Im Confused GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

It isn't the tie being ignored, it's that our record would be different as a result of the tie. If we are say 9-7-1 we would go over a team that was 9-8.... We've played one more game than everyone right now, thus we are 2-2-1 and tied with teams that are 2-2. 

Edited by KoB2011

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It isn't the tie being ignored, it's that our record would be different as a result of the tie. If we are say 9-7-1 we would go over a team that was 9-8.... We've played one more game than everyone right now, thus we are 2-2-1 and tied with teams that are 2-2. 

I know how it works....I just wanted to be a smart a$$ lol....... Besides, I love "King of Queen", especially Arthur. I just could imagine someone trying to explain this to him and his hilarious response. lol

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Man, Alec looked good. That was really nice to see. No clue why he had the ball on his inside hand on his fumble though. Football 101. 

His two contested catches last night were unworldly. 

He did look good.  And, it seemed Ryan was looking his way more than he was Pittman's.  Could just be a coverage thing, or maybe Ryan just feels more comfortable that Pierce can better make the tough catches in traffic.  

Edited by 5fouls

The Hines hit did not seem to be that big, as far as pro football goes.  Has to make you wonder how many times guys get their bell rung and don't come out of the game.  Regardless, the NFL has to do something to mitigate the damage these hits do.  As players get bigger and stronger, there will come a tipping point where the game just is not safe to play unless better safety measures are in place.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Hines hit did not seem to be that big, as far as pro football goes.  Has to make you wonder how many times guys get their bell rung and don't come out of the game.  Regardless, the NFL has to do something to mitigate the damage these hits do.  As players get bigger and stronger, there will come a tipping point where the game just is not safe to play unless better safety measures are in place.

Some would probably say that the game has already reached that point.  When former players talk about not wanting their sons to play football... I think that says something.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

@IU SCOTT  seems like it was not just you and were the negative ones. Seems like every talking head and 99 percent of the people that watched that have said that was the worst display of football they have seen 

I turned on Sports center after the game and it was brutal hearing them talk about the game.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

He did look good.  And, it seemed Ryan was looking his way more than he was Pittman's.  Could just be a coverage thing, or maybe Ryan just feels more comfortable that Pierce can better make the tough catches in traffic.  

9 targets for Pierce 

8 for Pitt

Late he for sure went to Pierce. Hoping to see some more downfield stuff for Alec with better protection. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

9 targets for Pierce 

8 for Pitt

Late he for sure went to Pierce. Hoping to see some more downfield stuff for Alec with better protection. 

Some of those targets for Pittman, however, were glorified throw-aways.  I think he clearly favored Pierce last night.  Again, it could have just been coverage.  But, it's something to watch over the next few games.  

Clearly the Colts have to play better. Cannot win many more games without improving offensive output.

O-line has to block better, but I take into consideration that they started a rookie at tackle, moved Smith into guard, lost Kelly and Hines early in the game. O-line play, more than any other unit on a team, has to be in cohesion. With a new center calling protections, a rookie from Germany with limited experience at tackle, running backs farther down the depth chart who probably weren't fully up to speed on their blocking responsibilities, and a quarterback still learning a new system, it doesn't surprise me how bad they looked last night. OTOH, they did run for over 100 yards, with that same patchwork line.

Ryan has to play better. No doubt about it. Putting in comparison:

Peyton was 2-3 his first 5 games with Denver

Brady was 3-2 his first 5 games with Tampa

Favre was 2-3 his first 5 games with Jets

Quarterbacks take time to adjust to new systems. New terminology, new teammates, new everything. I was listening to Pat Kirwin yesterday on NFL Radio, and he referred back to Manning's first year with Denver. He interviewed their head coach at the time, John Fox. Fox said that their training camp was spent "learning Peyton's offense". Meaning they didn't expect him to come in and learn their new systems. The team learned what Peyton had done all the years with the Colts. Makes sense, and maybe more teams need to go that route.

Not worried at all over the media backlash. They're paid to shill what sells. Bad news sells news.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Clearly the Colts have to play better. Cannot win many more games without improving offensive output.

O-line has to block better, but I take into consideration that they started a rookie at tackle, moved Smith into guard, lost Kelly and Hines early in the game. O-line play, more than any other unit on a team, has to be in cohesion. With a new center calling protections, a rookie from Germany with limited experience at tackle, running backs farther down the depth chart who probably weren't fully up to speed on their blocking responsibilities, and a quarterback still learning a new system, it doesn't surprise me how bad they looked last night. OTOH, they did run for over 100 yards, with that same patchwork line.

Ryan has to play better. No doubt about it. Putting in comparison:

Peyton was 2-3 his first 5 games with Denver

Brady was 3-2 his first 5 games with Tampa

Favre was 2-3 his first 5 games with Jets

Quarterbacks take time to adjust to new systems. New terminology, new teammates, new everything. I was listening to Pat Kirwin yesterday on NFL Radio, and he referred back to Manning's first year with Denver. He interviewed their head coach at the time, John Fox. Fox said that their training camp was spent "learning Peyton's offense". Meaning they didn't expect him to come in and learn their new systems. The team learned what Peyton had done all the years with the Colts. Makes sense, and maybe more teams need to go that route.

Not worried at all over the media backlash. They're paid to shill what sells. Bad news sells news.

Agree with all of that but there is a big difference in looking bad and what we are seeing. This is historical offensive futility.  I know an ugly win is better than a pretty loss and wins are all that matter but they are an unsportsmanlike penalty and a poor coaching decision away from being 0-4-1  or 0-3-2 

My concerns are like many of us Colts fans we saw all of the areas of.concern and yet it was not addressed. Then Ballard looks down on the fan and is smug and acts like he is the smartest man in the room and is above criticism. I am afraid they have settled with being a mediocre team.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, btownqb said:

Man, Alec looked good. That was really nice to see. No clue why he had the ball on his inside hand on his fumble though. Football 101. 

His two contested catches last night were unworldly. 

He has been very impressive on contested balls since Week 3. I think we’ve got something there. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Agree with all of that but there is a big difference in looking bad and what we are seeing. This is historical offensive futility.  I know an ugly win is better than a pretty loss and wins are all that matter but they are an unsportsmanlike penalty and a poor coaching decision away from being 0-4-1  or 0-3-2 

My concerns are like many of us Colts fans we saw all of the areas of.concern and yet it was not addressed. Then Ballard looks down on the fan and is smug and acts like he is the smartest man in the room and is above criticism. I am afraid they have settled with being a mediocre team.

The flip side is we are a missed field goal and a JT fumble away from being 4-1. Football is a game of inches, I don’t personally buy that we are lucky to be 2-2-1… I think that’s about right for how we’ve played honestly.

The disappoint for me is that I think this team is capable of so much more. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 3