Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm hopeful that people who will push Marquette up the polls to maybe 15 this week will remember the pounding we gave them. Will be curious to track but besides Sparty or Michigan....when our resume is on trial for seeding come March our 23 point win over Marquette could be the 3rd most impressive of season. 

The talking heads who did the post game round up on Fox mentioned our game with Marquette...how we really routed them in AH...and that it was, in the words of the Marquette players, a turning point for them as a team.

Just now, jv1972iu said:

The talking heads who did the post game round up on Fox mentioned our game with Marquette...how we really routed them in AH...and that it was, in the words of the Marquette players, a turning point for them as a team.

Thanks for posting this! I didn't see the game just the score. Glad they mentioned us. 

19 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

As I recall it was largely Smith

Edit - I stand corrected, went back and it was Al and Rob who defended Howard most, must've been thinking of another game --

I was curious about this as well.  From what I saw RP had the lions share with Al on him as well, at least from 2 extended highlight clips I watched.  

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for posting this! I didn't see the game just the score. Glad they mentioned us. 

Game was very entertaining...especially the second half.  Marquette scored 64.  Howard was simply amazing...scored 24 straight for Marquette during their big run.  And Buffalo played good D...very athletic and quick...gave Marquette all they wanted the entire first half leading by 9 at one point...and came back from down 10 in second half before Howard took over.  He was in the zone, as they say...and Buffalo had hands up in his face...didn't matter.  Haha...good D...well, the first half they had Marquette on their heels...but 103 pts, I guess saying good D is pretty ridiculous, but Marquette did shoot a great percentage both from the arc and overall.  Made their ft's too.  😜

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That MU game was before all the injuries - I don't think it is a stretch to say we will get back to that form and be a top 10-15 team the rest of the way. This IU team is REALLY good. 

I think this team definitely has the ability. teammwork, D, key scorers, decision-making, depth and late-game coaching to be right there. 

I also think the team has exploitable limitations, limited outside shooting, often slow starting and playing from behind, poor free throw shooting (seemingly improving), and some crazy bad luck with injuries. Man if we had Hunter.

I LOVE that we are winning the close games, making good decisions down the stretch both from the bench and on the floor, cardiac kids.

I HATE that my heart may give out if this continues. I'd rather some more Marquette-style curb stompings.

9 minutes ago, rico said:

I/we keep talking about Alford being on the hot seat.  But Shaka down at Texas has to be feeling some heat.  Especially with what Barnes is doing at Tennessee.

Don't forget that Shaka beat Purdue.  Only 4 other teams have done that so far this season.  :coffee:

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think this team definitely has the ability. teammwork, D, key scorers, decision-making, depth and late-game coaching to be right there. 

I also think the team has exploitable limitations, limited outside shooting, often slow starting and playing from behind, poor free throw shooting (seemingly improving), and some crazy bad luck with injuries. Man if we had Hunter.

I LOVE that we are winning the close games, making good decisions down the stretch both from the bench and on the floor, cardiac kids.

I HATE that my heart may give out if this continues. I'd rather some more Marquette-style curb stompings.

I don't see outside shooting as a weakness, personally. I think you and I are in agreement that Romeo will get it figured out; if you isolate him out of the equation we are shooting 41% as a team from deep. I agree we need to start faster, but I think that is a combination of youth and gameplan; I'd like to see Archie run plays to get Romeo and Juwan shots earlier in games.

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't see outside shooting as a weakness, personally. I think you and I are in agreement that Romeo will get it figured out; if you isolate him out of the equation we are shooting 41% as a team from deep. I agree we need to start faster, but I think that is a combination of youth and gameplan; I'd like to see Archie run plays to get Romeo and Juwan shots earlier in games.

Could be. Romeo's outside shooting though is partly to create space and keep defenders guessing. The slow starts include each of the last 7 games. Guys like Al and Rob and Morgan are showing, at least on still somewhat limited shots, that they can shoot. Not sure how well that will hold up as their shooting increases, and part of it is we're not a team that takes a lot of threes, but while we're very efficient on FGs, if we were hitting some more 3's we wouldn't be in these repeatedly nail-biter games. I'd like to see a little more outside shooting, if we can hit consistently. I don't know yet if we can, and that we're much more dependent on the traditional FG leaves us open to teams that can hit from outside, though our D, especially in the second half, keeps us in it.

Look at a team like UM. I don't know if we're going to be able to hang with that team, it's really, really good. I do think we can hang with MSU and the rest in conference, but I also see us losing close games because we screw the pooch at the stripe and are playing from behind and aren't scoring much from deep. That we've got a very good coaching staff, and some really good players and team chemistry, I think is beyond question. But we do have limitations, so far.

43 minutes ago, rico said:

When did this morph into an IU thread?

Howard went off like I figured. Buffalo has a good team but I just didn't see anyone that could guard him. That said I didn't think he was going for 40! Wow just goes to show us how great a job Archie has done with our defense this year!

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Alford should be fired this weekend.  He's really that bad.

Just a thought. Maybe it's been discussed before. In a pro town like LA I have to believe the pressure to get 5 star guys or flashy recruits is a big deal. Alford to me doesn't seem the best with those types of kids. He's better suited to the 3 year guys who were ranked in the 50-80 range. 

Archived