Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Winning cures most, if not all ills.  Regardless of style, see what winning games in LA will do to re-generate the fan base. 

But, I've got to say, that the LA market is a weird duck. 

All I care about is winning and substance and not a bunch of glitch and glamour.

Being an IU part of me used to like Duke just because of Coach Knight then I lost that many many years ago and now I dislike them in the same way I do the New England Patriots.  Maybe I am just jealous. I try to find every single reason to dislike Zion but I cant. He is fun and exciting to watch. With him you see something new everytime. With that being my new favorite player not playing at IU. all Hoosiers rank ahead of everyone else,  is Ja Morant. I love watching him play, his passion etc... I dont mind guys actually getting excited. 

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Being an IU part of me used to like Duke just because of Coach Knight then I lost that many many years ago and now I dislike them in the same way I do the New England Patriots.  Maybe I am just jealous. I try to find every single reason to dislike Zion but I cant. He is fun and exciting to watch. With him you see something new everytime. With that being my new favorite player not playing at IU. all Hoosiers rank ahead of everyone else,  is Ja Morant. I love watching him play, his passion etc... I dont mind guys actually getting excited. 

Early on this season I was critical of ESPN's slobber fest of Zion and my criticism even extended to Zion himself.  I was way off base criticizing the kid.  Having watched him play and more importantly, hearing him speak, I can only come away impressed.

18 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Early on this season I was critical of ESPN's slobber fest of Zion and my criticism even extended to Zion himself.  I was way off base criticizing the kid.  Having watched him play and more importantly, hearing him speak, I can only come away impressed.

Except there is that Clemson thing?

27 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Yeah, I have no problem separating my disdain for coach K from a lot of respect and admiration for Zion Williamson.  I can't think of an athlete like him past or present.

36 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

We aren't the only school with ridiculous takes:

What is it with fans today because they are so irrational.  Social media has almost made being a sports fan not be very much any longer.  I don't know if it is the instant gratification generation or their lack of attention span that has caused this problem.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

What is it with fans today because they are so irrational.  Social media has almost made being a sports fan not be very much any longer.  I don't know if it is the instant gratification generation or their lack of attention span that has caused this problem.

I've got Facebook and this website for my 'social media" intake. I will never get anything more than that (Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter) because I think it can be terrible for the way our brains are wired. I'd say stop your social media use to the extent you need to so you can enjoy your love for sports 

13 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I've got Facebook and this website for my 'social media" intake. I will never get anything more than that (Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter) because I think it can be terrible for the way our brains are wired. I'd say stop your social media use to the extent you need to so you can enjoy your love for sports 

It just seems like people today overreact and say things with their emptions instead of their heads.  Like on another site a post was about how Underwood has UI turned around in less than two years but we think it should take Archie 4-5 years.  That person is only looking at the last 4 games where UI have won them all but don't look at the facts.  UI is 24-33 in Underwood's two years where Archie is 29-26 and if you only look at this year the records are 10-15 and 13-11.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It just seems like people today overreact and say things with their emptions instead of their heads.  Like on another site a post was about how Underwood has UI turned around in less than two years but we think it should take Archie 4-5 years.  That person is only looking at the last 4 games where UI have won them all but don't look at the facts.  UI is 24-33 in Underwood's two years where Archie is 29-26 and if you only look at this year the records are 10-15 and 13-11.

I dont think anyone is saying Underwood for coach of he year but 1 team started 12 -2  and has gone 1-9 since

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I dont think anyone is saying Underwood for coach of he year but 1 team started 12 -2  and has gone 1-9 since

Still need to look at the whole body of work and not just the last 5 games.  Neither won is very good but to say that Underwood has finally turned them around is idiotic.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Still need to look at the whole body of work and not just the last 5 games.  Neither won is very good but to say that Underwood has finally turned them around is idiotic.

I have not seen anyone say he has turned it around. All year people have said his team plays hard and loss some close games and they will improve.  To me they have. Illinois is a better team now than when we played them. Are we??

Yep.  I would have liked to have seen Illinois go through the month of injuries in January that IU did and see where they would be today. While IU had to mix and match for an entire month, and disrupt evolving as a team,just in order  to put a team on the court..... Illinois had the entire month to figure things out. January is a time for a coach and players to figure things out. IU did not have that luxury.  Illinois did.  Don't even try to tell me that Underwood is a better coach than Miller. If Underwood was the better coach, he would have started the season out 12-2, with major victories, as did Miller. Instead, Underwood sucked  so much at the start of the season, that there were calls for him to be released.  Underwood just has been blessed not to suffer through the injuries that Miller has had to suffer through.

IU injuries : not an excuse.  Just a fact. 

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

No so sure we want Mack afterall.  19 points at half.  :coffee:

The two games I have been watching has been brutal offensively with UM beating Maryland 27-18 and Clemson is up 23-19 against UL.  These games are brutal if you like good offensive games.  Still don't understand how coaches today thinks this kind offense is the best way to run an offense.  It is just to easy to defend and f you don't have guys who can get their own shot you will not be able to score.

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The two games I have been watching has been brutal offensively with UM beating Maryland 27-18 and Clemson is up 23-19 against UL.  These games are brutal if you like good offensive games.  Still don't understand how coaches today thinks this kind offense is the best way to run an offense.  It is just to easy to defend and f you don't have guys who can get their own shot you will not be able to score.

Everyone wants to audition their kids for the NBA so they can get the next crop of recruits but the fact of the matter is, most of D1 basketball players aren't going to the NBA.  Set some freaking screens, move without the ball, get some easier shots, get the entire team involved.  What's funny, that's exactly what the Warriors do.  It's about to come full circle.  CBK did know what he was doing some of the time.  

20 hours ago, milehiiu said:

If Underwood was the better coach, he would have started the season out 12-2, with major victories, as did Miller. Instead, Underwood sucked  so much at the start of the season, that there were calls for him to be released.  Underwood just has been blessed not to suffer through the injuries that Miller has had to suffer through.

IU injuries : not an excuse.  Just a fact. 

Well, Underwood had to integrate 6 freshmen, 1 JC transfer and 1 grad transfer to go along with 2 returning sophs, 1 senior role player and an incredibly inconsistent junior while playing one of the toughest schedules in the country. It's true he did have the good fortune of a pretty healthy team and they are starting to figure things out. I'm pretty happy to have him as our coach.

I liked Archie as well, though do wonder about his offense. Will be interesting to continue to see how these 2 do, along with Holtmann at Ohio St.

30 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Well, Underwood had to integrate 6 freshmen, 1 JC transfer and 1 grad transfer to go along with 2 returning sophs, 1 senior role player and an incredibly inconsistent junior while playing one of the toughest schedules in the country. It's true he did have the good fortune of a pretty healthy team and they are starting to figure things out. I'm pretty happy to have him as our coach.

I liked Archie as well, though do wonder about his offense. Will be interesting to continue to see how these 2 do, along with Holtmann at Ohio St.

Toughest schedules in the country? C'mon Illini fan showing up right now? Give me a frickin break. Home Georgetown, Maui you knew the beatings were coming, ND and UNLV loss....please tell me when you get to the part about scheduling the toughest schedules in the country. 

With that said. Ayo is playing well and others are coming on....but please don't show up here posting this crap. Reminder. Illinois is 10-15. Not 18-7. 

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

With that said. Ayo is playing well and others are coming on....but please don't show up here posting this crap. Reminder. Illinois is 10-15. Not 18-7. 

Good point. While both teams are currently trending in different directions.  IU still has a winning record overall (just barely, and  with some major wins).....while Illinois is down by 5, overall.  Still.... a lot of basketball yet to be played. 

Archived