Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

An hour before we went yes. Anytime after that not at all.  Was or is there a Jakes??

Can’t jmagine charging college kids a penny a beer that they could afford to stay in business...from the loss of revenue to the cleaning bill in the bathroom as a result either way I imagine they didn’t last. Lol I do remember some good ol days when we would go out and there was $2 pitchers of beer...the pitchers were made of 1 gallon ice cream containers lol. That bar didn’t make it either lol.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I for 1 can say something positive about Purdue.  I am absolutely POSITIVE that I cannot stand looking up at them in the standings any more.

Unfortunately there are many that have known nothing their whole IU life not looking up to Purdue. Those championship banners are getting mighty dusty. We still have them but much like our WW2 vets there are fewer and fewer around that remember hanging them. :(

1 hour ago, rico said:

My uncle and two cousins both went to UCLA. Hoosiers by birth and still cheer for IU but obviously cheer for UCLA. I asked them today first reaction. All said we'd love to win but that style of play isn't LA enough. Would have a hard time getting the influential AAU guys out there to get behind a 50 point winning team. 

49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My uncle and two cousins both went to UCLA. Hoosiers by birth and still cheer for IU but obviously cheer for UCLA. I asked them today first reaction. All said we'd love to win but that style of play isn't LA enough. Would have a hard time getting the influential AAU guys out there to get behind a 50 point winning team. 

What do they have to lose.....I mean maybe they fill 50% capacity? I watched a PAC12 game last night (up late feeding the baby) and the gym looked like it held 8000 people and was maybe half full...even behind the benches etc. He may not play an up beat exciting brand of basketball but he will bring fans back if they can consistently win games...and that they should do. UCLA campus is still UCLA campus...and they get plenty of NBA exposure in LA.....he would do just fine out there I suspect.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

What do they have to lose.....I mean maybe they fill 50% capacity? I watched a PAC12 game last night (up late feeding the baby) and the gym looked like it held 8000 people and was maybe half full...even behind the benches etc. He may not play an up beat exciting brand of basketball but he will bring fans back if they can consistently win games...and that they should do. UCLA campus is still UCLA campus...and they get plenty of NBA exposure in LA.....he would do just fine out there I suspect.

I agree all day. TB's brand of hoops isn't my cup of tea but he does deliver regular season results. I still put my money on Earl Watson. 

12 minutes ago, rico said:

Beard and Dixon are the guys I am banking on.

Dixon has UCLA ties...although I wonder if he has bitter feelings with how his head coach was let go plus TCU is his alma mater. Mine is Dixon or Musselman. I could see him making a nice run at Nevada....although maybe that would be too similar of Alfred from New Mexico feel. That said he has NBA ties so I could see that playing well in LA.

37 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I agree all day. TB's brand of hoops isn't my cup of tea but he does deliver regular season results. I still put my money on Earl Watson. 

Winning cures most, if not all ills.  Regardless of style, see what winning games in LA will do to re-generate the fan base. 

But, I've got to say, that the LA market is a weird duck. 

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Dixon has UCLA ties...although I wonder if he has bitter feelings with how his head coach was let go plus TCU is his alma mater. Mine is Dixon or Musselman. I could see him making a nice run at Nevada....although maybe that would be too similar of Alfred from New Mexico feel. That said he has NBA ties so I could see that playing well in LA.

You just don't turn down a "blue blood" job unless you think you got it better where you are at.  That is what Dixon and Beard are going to have to ask themselves.  Now Musselman, done a great job but he is of that Hoiberg ilk.  Can he actually recruit?  Done a great job with Nevada, but he has been doing it recruiting the island of misfit toys.  

17 minutes ago, rico said:

You just don't turn down a "blue blood" job unless you think you got it better where you are at.  That is what Dixon and Beard are going to have to ask themselves.  Now Musselman, done a great job but he is of that Hoiberg ilk.  Can he actually recruit?  Done a great job with Nevada, but he has been doing it recruiting the island of misfit toys.  

You are correct.  Mark Few has turned UCLA down more than once.... because he feels he has got it better, where he's at. 

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

Illinois has won 4 straight B1G games. As bad as they are they are getting better and we are getting worse.

If the players had any sense of pride they would recognize this and start working together. As you said...the Illini are not a great team by any stretch of the imagination and have put together some nice wins. Underwood needed it. 30 days ago no one wanted him there anymore. 

Hopefully our players wake up and realize a season can change very quickly. 

Archived