The H🔥T Seat

13 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Losing production and leadership isn't the issue.  Having players that can produce and lead is the issue.   Other than Trayce do we have a player that would start at another Power 5 school?  Like I said I always figured CAM would get another year.  But the continued lack of improvements and same old on the court has me reconsidering.

Go Hoosiers!!!

I don't really care that much about who can start elsewhere - there's a reason why mid majors are more competitive these days, and one of those is having upperclassmen who are team leaders. CAM really only has one of his players getting regular minutes that is to that level of experience, and that's Brunk, and some of these guys - Hunter, Race, even Phinesee - haven't really been able to get on the court enough to really determine what we have with respect to leadership. I don't see any way, barring some sort of malfeasance, that you can fire a coach until you at least see what he's built with his own players, particularly when there's that emphasis on getting older as a team. That hasn't happened yet.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I understand people are frustrated and losing faith, but Archie isn't going anywhere this year. So you can put together your wish list, but it's not going to happen. He'll get at least one more year, I would be surprised if he doesn't get 5 years total. He's going to get a chance to turn it around with guys that fit his coaching. Like it or not, I truly believe this and hope for the best. Let's root for him and this team, to finish the season strong.

You don’t know this...if what one poster said is true, and he acknowledged that he isn’t sure of its accuracy, Archie’s future employment at IU is dependent upon this team making the NCAAT this year.  

34 minutes ago, JugRox said:

There are 3 coaches in the nation making over 5 million......and one of them is Holtmann (Whats the ROI on that?)

Doesn't matter on the why, bottom line is that if Miller is fired the replacement is NOT going to be Stevens or Donovan. And an extreme long shot on Beard.

Holtmann is making about the same money as Archie. He's not making over $5million.

Next years class may not seem high profile but they sure as heck are gonna be the types of kids that know what it means to put on that Indiana jersey and go to work. The most frustrating thing for me to watch is players who act like they don’t give a damn, play lazy and don’t give it their all. Replacing players like that with the “refuse to lose” grit and toughness is going to be a welcome sight.  

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I don't necessarily agree that we need a starter out of who we already have in this class.  If everything goes to plan this off season and people get healthy I see one spot in the starting lineup and to me that is at the 2G.  If RP can get totally healthy and back to where he was before the injury that is your PG.  I think with an off season to be able to work out that Hunter will be the starting SF.  This next one will be on my assumption that Smith will not be back which I have thought since before this season started.  I think that if healthy I could see Race being the 4 in the starting lineup.  I feel that TJD will get bigger and stronger and will be the starter at the 5.  Also you can put Brunk in the starting lineup over race.  I think we need to go out and get either a JC or a grand transfer for the  starting 2.

That was a long drawn out answer that finished with agreeing with me.  Like I said, need start now talent added to the team,  preferably at the 2 but I'll take it at the 1 or 3 as well.  

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

that is not accurate according to this list of highest paid coaches

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/08/the-10-highest-paid-ncaa-basketball-coaches.html

That $7 million dollar figure included the buyout $ and the taxes owed on the buyout to get him to OSU. 

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/02/no_chris_holtmann_is_not_the_t.html

13 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

Again, how do you know it isn’t true?  

I’m not going to bother wasting any more time with this drivel. Scroll up and read Inequality’s post. As one of my co-mods posted above we’re not deleting this thread as it’s within board rules, but that doesn’t make it worth spending any more time on. 

23 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

You don’t know this...if what one poster said is true, and he acknowledged that he isn’t sure of its accuracy, Archie’s future employment at IU is dependent upon this team making the NCAAT this year.  

So, a poster on a internet forum that acknowledges his info isn't correct says Miller might be fired this year?

IU will not pay the buyout. Miller is here for another year just for the buyout....probably 2. 

Not unless Cuban or someone gets involved.

22 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

But that’s not true and, frankly, is absurd and not worth the time it took to post this 

That is your opinion and that is fine. The conversation did happen like I said the source is about as close as you can get. Whether or not they stick to it who knows, but I know that 1 particular coach was told Bowl or bust and his team went out and got it done. the other is still to be seen. 

13 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Next years class may not seem high profile but they sure as heck are gonna be the types of kids that know what it means to put on that Indiana jersey and go to work. The most frustrating thing for me to watch is players who act like they don’t give a damn, play lazy and don’t give it their all. Replacing players like that with the “refuse to lose” grit and toughness is going to be a welcome sight.  

I agree.  I don't see this season ending well but this team isn't that far off.  You take away some of the mind-numbingly stupid plays and I would hope the scoring droughts will go away. Get Phinisee healthy and let Hunter build on his progress this year and I don't think the 2020 guys will have to over achieve to have an impact. I would like to see a JuCo or grad transfer guard brought in though. I just can't see giving up on the coach at this early point in his tenure although the results have been beyond frustrating and maddening.

20 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I agree.  I don't see this season ending well but this team isn't that far off.  You take away some of the mind-numbingly stupid plays and I would hope the scoring droughts will go away. Get Phinisee healthy and let Hunter build on his progress this year and I don't think the 2020 guys will have to over achieve to have an impact. I would like to see a JuCo or grad transfer guard brought in though. I just can't see giving up on the coach at this early point in his tenure although the results have been beyond frustrating and maddening.

I'm with you.  This front court is going to be one of if not the best in the B1G next year.  Guard depth is killing this team.  There has to be some addition by subtraction.  I would love for 1 or 2 of the new guys to have an immediate impact on that court but I really don't see them being better than Armaan this year.  Even with our horrid guard play, Armaan is only getting 16 minutes a game.  

If CAM can't find and land a start now caliber 2 guard and possibly even some back up point help, his roster management may wind up rivaling CTC.  And that will cost him his job.  

As stands the depth chart for next year looks exactly the same at every position plus adding 3 fairly equal 2/3 guys, none of which are dead eye shooters, killer scorers, or lead ball handlers.  Don't get me wrong, I love them and what I think they will add to the program over four years will be tremendous.  

I see people stating that Archie needs to go out and recruit better and get a couple of guards which I agree with.  My question do you think having threads like this about naming possible replacements for Archie's job will help in recruiting.  Don't you think apposing coaches use this kind of negative thinking in recruiting against iU.

1 hour ago, JugRox said:

Look, if it makes you feel better that Stevens and Donovan are possibilities, go for it. 

Miller is the 10th highest paid coach in the nation and IU hasn't even approached 4 million a year for a coach and now you think they are going to jump to 7-8 million?

Again, believe what you want....

If they have to fire Miller, I don't believe you have a grasp on the sense of urgency that is going to set in.  Particularly now that the former Knight players are going to feel more comfortable back in the University family.

Pressure is really going to ratchet up if we keep losing like this.  If we miss the tournament this year and have another lackluster year after that, the first issue the new AD and President are going to have is that, whether they like it or not, the biggest face of this school...the thing that keeps most alumni and other state backers interested in the school, is in the middle of having to release their 5th coach in 20 years.  Go out to the comment section of the University backed social media.  It is about to get ugly.  Again.  The pressure is going to be on to get the next hire right. 

So yeah, those guys may not choose to come, but I think IU is going to have to A)make them a big offer and B)make it publically known they did if they get rejected.  Kind of similar to what UCLA did on their last job search.

53 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

Again, how do you know it isn’t true?  

I think some rationale needs to be considered. A new president and AD are coming in. We have no idea of who that AD is and we are assuming a decision that big has already been made? Not calling out who shared the info because I appreciate the share, but it just doesn't seem logical.

Furthermore, I'm also going to say that this hypothetical decision is a catch 22. If IU lets CAM go too early it will have repercussions within the coaching community and it will affect the candidates for his replacement. Tell me a coach who's going to come into this buzzsaw when CAM doesn't even get a full recruiting cycle? Unless this new AD (who again we don't know who it is) has a double secret agreement with some 'savior' to take the job if CAM gets fired, then CAM ain't going anywhere after this season. 

This is fantasyland thinking. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The class of VO and Sheehey was not considered program changing and it was.

Not in year 1.  Which is what people are saying.  These kids are most likely going to need to develop.  They are not a TJD or Romeo type of player where you should expect immediate production.

I'm just dumbfounded at where IU is at as a program right now. I do believe a lot of this lies on the administration. At some point when you've had 5 different head coaches (counting Knight's last several years, Davis, Sampson, Crean & Archie) and the results are basically the same, you have to go higher than the coach. It's like a company that keeps trending down and fires their CEO every 2 years. At some point you have to look at the BOD, Chairman and the overall culture/support that the organization is giving to their CEO's. 

With all of that said, I'm just not sure what to make of Archie at this point. I'm just really confused about who he is or what is going on with him? He wasn't my first choice mid-way through Crean's last year when it was clear a change was coming, but then I did more research on him and began to get excited about him. I knew he was a hard-nosed, gritty player, but didn't realize he had been an assistant at all three of NC State, Arizona and Ohio State. You have to be able to recruit at those places, especially at Zona and OSU under Matta. 

Then knowing his Dayton success and track record in both the regular season, A-10 Tournament and NCAA tournament, I thought we were getting this gritty, no-nonsense, disciplined defensive coach that would have even more efficient offenses with better recruiting at IU, that had a chance to be a great, long-term coach. I knew he had taken a Dayton team that lost 3 starters and 4 seniors from the Elite 8 team and came back with nobody over 6'6" to 27 wins and won 2 NCAA Tournament games, which shows he can coach. 

Then he said all the right things at his intro press conference, he locked down the state, he said all the right things in post-game press conferences, etc., etc., but for whatever reason the Archie Miller of the last two seasons is not the same guy. He's not the guy I read about and have heard speak. He's not the guy that was given the "Archie" nickname because he was so no-nonsense, etc. 

I'm not giving up on Archie completely. I still think he can be a fantastic fit at IU, and I really want him to succeed. But, I'm just not seeing the same guy that I read about prior to his hiring. It's like he's a different person and I don't get it, or maybe I misread who I thought he was. I thought we'd have teams built in the mold of his personality. Teams that despite talent or lack thereof, would be pitbulls to play. Teams that opponents hated to play in Assembly Hall because it would be a war regardless of how good or bad IU actually was. 

I'm just really dumbfounded and surprised that in year 3 Archie can't get his team to play hard consistently and that his team seems completely opposite from his personality. I just don't get it. 

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I see people stating that Archie needs to go out and recruit better and get a couple of guards which I agree with.  My question do you think having threads like this about naming possible replacements for Archie's job will help in recruiting.  Don't you think apposing coaches use this kind of negative thinking in recruiting against iU.

Preach on brother........

Archived