NET rankings

22 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I feel like the best path would be to have a composite ranking that the committee uses:  Just take KenPom, RPI, Sagarin, BPI, and NET, average them out, and then use that for the ranking.  Probably the best way to it.

Each ranking has it's own weakness.  Averaging them all out would probably get you as close to reality as possible.

Like this?

https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

Someone else on here brought it to my/our attention. Can't remember who or I'd give credit where credit's due. 

Honestly, with that many rankings making up the composite I'd be ok if they went BCS football style and just used it to fill in the tournament, accounting for the auto bids of course. Teams would know where they stand going into conference tournaments and selection Sunday and there should be less bitching about being left out.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

I don't buy that we are on the bubble.  If we win both home games, we definitely aren't.

If we lose out, THEN I think we'd be on the bubble, but I really don't see that happening.  Even just one more win locks us into the tournament.

Our team sheet is going to look pretty good comparatively.  Our net is an outlier because we got blown out a couple times on the road.  Otherwise, we'd be in the thirties like we are on most other stats.

We aren't now but if we win only one of our remaining games... that is last team in/first team out territory.   Those stats in the 30s will drop if we lose 3 of 4.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

29 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

We aren't now but if we win only one of our remaining games... that is last team in/first team out territory.   Those stats in the 30s will drop if we lose 3 of 4.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Our resume is too strong. Low seed, yes. Bubble? I don't think so. One more win does it

10 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Our resume is too strong. Low seed, yes. Bubble? I don't think so. One more win does it

Appreciate being positive about our chances. But for the longest time, I have been saying it takes 20 wins to secure a birth.  And we have more opportunities in which to do that.

With their losses yesterday, NET dropped Baylor from 2nd to 5th, the Seminoles dropped 5 spots from 7th to 12th and Maryland tumbled 6 spots from 9th to 15th. Duke stayed the same at number 6. That was the same drop that they experienced after their last loss.

26 minutes ago, rico said:

With their losses yesterday, NET dropped Baylor from 2nd to 5th, the Seminoles dropped 5 spots from 7th to 12th and Maryland tumbled 6 spots from 9th to 15th. Duke stayed the same at number 6. That was the same drop that they experienced after their last loss.

I’m surprised Duke did not go from 6 up to 3 after losing.

40 minutes ago, rico said:

That can’t be a coincidence can it?

Maryland coming down to earth.  Lost 2 of 3 including being soundly beaten at home by MSU.  The one win was a squeaker at Minnesota.  The B1G schedule is like an NFL schedule.  You have to have the resolve to come out every single night or you are going to get taken down.  No other conference has that year in year out.  The top coaches know how to navigate that.  It’s grueling to be able to do it all the way through. 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Maryland coming down to earth.  Lost 2 of 3 including being soundly beaten at home by MSU.  The one win was a squeaker at Minnesota.  The B1G schedule is like an NFL schedule.  You have to have the resolve to come out every single night or you are going to get taken down.  No other conference has that year in year out.  The top coaches know how to navigate that.  It’s grueling to be able to do it all the way through. 

Can’t say I’m surprised that the typically underachieving east coast teams are coming back to Earth (Maryland, PSU, Rutgers).  The fact that all of those teams were competing toward the top of the conference this season makes me think it was pretty weak as far as top end teams go.  #1-12 in the conference are better than it’s been in a while, but #1-5 are worse.

2 hours ago, rico said:

The stupid thing about this is that the NET thinks Duke is so good that they should not drop  Yet, Virginia, who beats Duke, only moves up 1 spot.  Meanwhile, Richmond, who beat that powerhouse UMASS program moves up 3 spots.  Providence moves up 6 spots for beating Villanova, who drops 4.    How does Providence beating Villanova cause such a swing in the team's rankings, while Virginia beating Duke does not move things at all.

On 2/28/2020 at 3:41 PM, TheWatShot said:

Here is a realistic scenario I could see happening for our remaining games:

We lose at Illinois this weekend. Nothing extraordinary, just another run of the mill Big Ten road loss where we score in the 50's. 

We beat Minnesota at home, but do it unimpressively. 

We lose at home to Wisconsin, because we beat them about as often as we beat Purdue anymore. 

We go one and done in the BTT like we do every year, and suddenly we're sitting at 19-13 with a NET ranking in the 60's, and a handful of stat geeks projecting we're out of the tournament. 

NET rankings are trash. Bring back RPI. 

Right on the first two, regarding outcomes. Hoping to be wrong on the next two. 

On 2/28/2020 at 6:09 PM, milehiiu said:

Appreciate being positive about our chances. But for the longest time, I have been saying it takes 20 wins to secure a birth.  And we have more opportunities in which to do that.

It’s sad that an IU team with multiple Quad 1 wins playing in the B10 and with the toughest schedule is even remotely on the bubble or fighting for a spot?  Meanwhile, Seton Hall, Villanova & Dayton are all RANKED.  The underdog has killed this tournament.

2 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

It’s sad that an IU team with multiple Quad 1 wins playing in the B10 and with the toughest schedule is even remotely on the bubble or fighting for a spot?  Meanwhile, Seton Hall, Villanova & Dayton are all RANKED.  The underdog has killed this tournament.

Multiple quad 1 wins... and a ton of blowout road losses. Regardless, Dayton is legit. Don’t know much about Nova or Seton Hall this year, but Dayton is a final four contender in my book. Toppin is amazing.

4 hours ago, madmax said:

Multiple quad 1 wins... and a ton of blowout road losses. Regardless, Dayton is legit. Don’t know much about Nova or Seton Hall this year, but Dayton is a final four contender in my book. Toppin is amazing.

Funny thing about Dayton...the A-10 is perhaps a 1 bid league if the Flyers win the CT.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If IU and Dayton swapped conferences, each would also get the other's conference record.  

Dayton is getting a lot of love and rightfully so...but who have they beat?  Saint Mary's?  By my count that is the only NCAAT team they have beat that I am aware of.

I don't know if IU would go undefeated in the A-10, but Dayton would be lucky to get 10 wins in the B1G.

Archived