NET rankings

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ChiHoosier said:

I think we are still in the 50s in terms of NET because of the MOV. For the most part, we have lost big on the road and close at home in conference play which hinders our ability to climb the NET

Which begs the question.  As team beats Kansas by 1 and Incarnate Word by 35.  Which should influence the NET more.  Unfortunately, the NET answers that question incorrectly.

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Which begs the question.  As team beats Kansas by 1 and Incarnate Word by 35.  Which should influence the NET more.  Unfortunately, the NET answers that question incorrectly.

I forgot to add in that MOV is capped at 10. However, in this scenario, this team would not rise by more than 1-2 spots because of their non-quality win and would not fall by more than 1 spot due to the quality of the loss. 

5 hours ago, ChiHoosier said:

I forgot to add in that MOV is capped at 10. However, in this scenario, this team would not rise by more than 1-2 spots because of their non-quality win and would not fall by more than 1 spot due to the quality of the loss. 

Why is Minnesota ahead of us in the NET?

5 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

That's insane. As I'm looking at these rankings there is a lot of things that do not make sense. Purdue is also ranked way above us with a worse record - though they did beat us twice. But, damn.

Welcome to the club of "WTF!"

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Richmond wins at then #86 Duquesne and jumps from 44 to 37. Duquesne falls from 86 to 96. As I recall, when IU won at then 40 something MN, we barely moved.

It is pretty simple to figure out...the A-10 is a tougher conference so therefore point values are doubled.

Team A: Quad 1 0-7, quad 2 9-4, Quad 3 4-3, Quad 4 3-0.

Home losses to Net #41, #114, #147 and #148

Team B: Quad 1 5-9, quad 2 4-2, quad 3 4-0 quad 4 6-0

Home losses to Net 18, 32 and 41. No losses below 41.

Team A is Alabama NET 50, BPI 63, POM 55, SAG 63

Team B is IU NET 51, BPI 39, POM 35, SAG 29

18 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Team A: Quad 1 0-7, quad 2 9-4, Quad 3 4-3, Quad 4 3-0.

Home losses to Net #41, #114, #147 and #148

Team B: Quad 1 5-9, quad 2 4-2, quad 3 4-0 quad 4 6-0

Home losses to Net 18, 32 and 41. No losses below 41.

Team A is Alabama NET 50, BPI 63, POM 55, SAG 63

Team B is IU NET 51, BPI 39, POM 35, SAG 29

Alabama is 4-7 on the road

Indiana is 2-8 on the road

Unfortunately the NET seems to overvalue road wins which is likely the main reason for the discrepancies. 

3 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Unfortunately the NET seems to overvalue road wins which is likely the main reason for the discrepancies. 

One of their road wins is at #324 Samford. Others are #86 Ole Miss, #92 GA, and #148 Vandy. They are getting rewarded for having bad teams in the SEC.

13 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

The NET is one GIANT discrepancy.

15 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

We dropped to 60 this morning in the NET and  Minnesota moved up to 43.  Guess i can't blame us for falling but i don't understand the NET and how wins/losses affect the ranking.  I mean Rutgers is at 32 ranked higher than Iowa

I think we dropped to #60 in Sunday's Net actually.  But yea you're not alone in not understanding that thing.  Just be glad it's not the only thing the committee looks at.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Archived