Any news on the AD search

IU Scott

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect it to be Reynolds and I want it to be Reynolds.  No need to overthink it or outsmart it.  Some things in life are so obvious that they simply cannot be screwed up, kind of like when even I knew I shouldn’t screw up landing my wife when I so blatantly and obviously out-kicked my coverage.  

39 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I expect it to be Reynolds and I want it to be Reynolds.  No need to overthink it or outsmart it.  Some things in life are so obvious that they simply cannot be screwed up, kind of like when even I knew I shouldn’t screw up landing my wife when I so blatantly and obviously out-kicked my coverage.  

But this is the Indiana administration we're talking about.  Alford to IU was obvious in 2001.  Beilein when Davis was fired was obvious.   Lots of things over the years have been completely obvious to everyone except our administration. 

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

But this is the Indiana administration we're talking about.  Alford to IU was obvious in 2001.  Beilein when Davis was fired was obvious.   Lots of things over the years have been completely obvious to everyone except our administration. 

As for Beilein it was not obvious when Davis was fired because it was not like he had been great at WVU.

13 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I believe they were coming off consecutive elite eight and sweet 16 appearances with the Mike Gansey and Kevin Pittsnogle teams when Davis left.

I new they came off the elite 8 but Crean had made a final four.  I just would think at that time if Beilein was named coach there would have been some that would have not liked the hire.  We look at him now and say that would have been a great hire but then not so much.

39 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Not hiring Alford in 2001 was obvious. IU got that one correct. Beilein is obvious only in hindsight. At the time it would have seemed a good, but not great, hire.

The admin does make lots of bad choices, I'll give you that. Hiring Davis, especially without even doing a search. Hiring Sampson. Hiring Crean. The jury is still out on Miller. And that's just men's basketball. I think hiring Lynch was a mistake.

I totally expect them to hire Dolson as that would be the mediocre, uninspired choice that I've come to expect. They've shown over the years that they like to hire from within even if there are better choices. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I new they came off the elite 8 but Crean had made a final four.  I just would think at that time if Beilein was named coach there would have been some that would have not liked the hire.  We look at him now and say that would have been a great hire but then not so much.

All fair points. I just wanted to work the name Pittsnogle into the discussion.  Loved hearing the announcers get so excited to say that name when he drilled a three.  Beilein definitely increased his cache with his time at Michigan. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

All fair points. I just wanted to work the name Pittsnogle into the discussion.  Loved hearing the announcers get so excited to say that name when he drilled a three.  Beilein definitely increased his cache with his time at Michigan. 

I remember announcers saying  their opponents just got Pittsnogled when he hit a 3.

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

Not hiring Alford in 2001 was obvious. IU got that one correct. Beilein is obvious only in hindsight. At the time it would have seemed a good, but not great, hire.

The admin does make lots of bad choices, I'll give you that. Hiring Davis, especially without even doing a search. Hiring Sampson. Hiring Crean. The jury is still out on Miller. And that's just men's basketball. I think hiring Lynch was a mistake.

I totally expect them to hire Dolson as that would be the mediocre, uninspired choice that I've come to expect. They've shown over the years that they like to hire from within even if there are better choices. 

Speaking of Sampson did anyone see this tweet from CoachSS?

Kelvin is a terrific coach but when it comes to character the man is truly the lowest of the low.

^^^ Sampson was horrible when it came to discipline.  I've told this story before. But it repeats repeating, under Coach Story's twitter post.  IU played in a tournament game in Chicago under Sampson. Some of the players asked to stay back, since they came from the area, or knew a player from Chi-town.  Sampson said ok.  Then when they did not return as scheduled. No one could in touch with them.  Finally they showed up. And failed drug tests.

Dan Dakich asked Sampson what he intended to do about it. And Sampson, simply told Dak : " I'm just glad they are back".  Dak pushed the issue. Which eventually led to a series of suspensions for failing the drug tests.  Not to mention players failing to show up for classes, which led to close to 19 F's. 

3 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Hiring Crean was no mistake. Not even close. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hiring Crean was no mistake. Not even close. 

Absolutely.  Coach Crean cleaned up the program. And set it on a new course.  IU's a tough place to coach in, considering our history. Going back to Branch McCracken.  And too bad that two things happened for Coach Crean  and to him. One, unsettling Indiana HS coaches. He has no one to fault for that, other than himself.  And falling under the pressure that is part of being an IU coach, due to our history. Coach Miller is starting to experience some of that same pressure from some of our fans.  I hope Coach Miller holds strong.  As for Coach Crean, I can only wish him the best. And thank him for  stopping the bleeding that Sampsongate left behind.

27 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Bradley.  Working hard to keep Reynolds.  Kind of letting the cat out of the bag. A little bit. But not a done deal yet.

I know you get inside info - is there any published info on this.  Personally, I support Reynolds as the next hire and this would be great.

6 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I know you get inside info - is there any published info on this.  Personally, I support Reynolds as the next hire and this would be great.

Actually, I am anxious and waiting for published reports later this week.  One thing I am always reluctant about in terms of letting out info I get, is that it either does not turn  the way I was told. Or does not happen at all. So please don't criticize me if an announcement does not come this week. But I am expecting an announcement, sooner than later.

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Actually, I am anxious and waiting for published reports later this week.  One thing I am always reluctant about in terms of letting out info I get, is that it either does not turn  the way I was told. Or does not happen at all. So please don't criticize me if an announcement does not come this week. But I am expecting an announcement, sooner than later.

If Bradley is pushing, then it means one simple thing. IU has to pay up.  Bradley is a fine school, but there should be no comparison here.  

2 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

I'm with you there except for a couple of small dissents...

1. Crean was probably the best coach IU was going to get, given the state of the program at that point.  He's not a bad coach...just not one that would take over a top program unless it was in the tank.
  2. I'm more optimistic on Miller than you are from the sound of things.  Sure, it's not a finished product, but I like the direction he's headed and other than Sampson, I think he's the best tactician IU has hired since Knight.

Archived