Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

On 4/17/2021 at 4:22 PM, Seeking6 said:

It's going to be close for Indy area on Tuesday night into Wednesday morning. I know the further North folks should expect snow. Of course it will be 60's 24 hours later. I'm with you on pots. Easy to maneuver during the early part of growing.

2"-4" is what Fort Wayne is calling for.  Don't want to see the snow, but we sure could use the moisture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Going to get down to 36 here tonight, will probably bring my peppers and seedlings inside just to be safe. 

Heat wave?  LOL  Got about 2" of snow here y-day.  The ground is still covered.  Another hard freeze warning for tonight...supposed to get down into the mid 20's.  Possibly 80 by this coming Tuesday.

Will it rain?

Will it snow?

This is Indiana.

I do not know.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rico said:

Heat wave?  LOL  Got about 2" of snow here y-day.  The ground is still covered.  Another hard freeze warning for tonight...supposed to get down into the mid 20's.  Possibly 80 by this coming Tuesday.

Will it rain?

Will it snow?

This is Indiana.

I do not know.

My dad just texted me a pic from Southern Indiana with a covering of snow. Spring in Indiana holding to true form!

3 hours ago, rico said:

Will it rain?

Will it snow?

This is Indiana.

I do not know.

Seriously. I know we get some goofy stuff but snow to 80 in 5 days is a tad weird...even for us. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Seriously. I know we get some goofy stuff but snow to 80 in 5 days is a tad weird...even for us. 

Oh yeah, it is a tad weird for our abnormal normal.  But I remember quite a few years back in the middle of November we were having mild weather.  Worked in a t-shirt and sweating on Monday...by Friday I had my winter gear on and working in snow.  The next week I was icefishing Thanksgiving week-end on the small farm ponds.

This is similar...only in reverse!  

• Like 1

Just got a big box of annuals and six tomato plants from White Flower Farm (local place in CT that has great flowers), but can’t really plant them b/c of the temps tonight.

I would normally put them in the window sill while waiting to plant, but our adolescent cat Buffy would murder them while we slept. They are currently locked in the bathroom waiting for warmer temps. I can plant tomorrow most likely. 

Once those are in, I can rest and just enjoy. I think I need to get more pots first though. Good thing our terrace is supported underneath by the building and we aren’t just a balcony!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Just got a big box of annuals and six tomato plants from White Flower Farm (local place in CT that has great flowers), but can’t really plant them b/c of the temps tonight.

I would normally put them in the window sill while waiting to plant, but our adolescent cat Buffy would murder them while we slept. They are currently locked in the bathroom waiting for warmer temps. I can plant tomorrow most likely. 

Once those are in, I can rest and just enjoy. I think I need to get more pots first though. Good thing our terrace is supported underneath by the building and we aren’t just a balcony!

You still fostering cats?  I find that admirable.  I'm a big teddy bear and couldn't let them go. We have 2 that a stray had under deck last year. 

The tortie from that litter is obsessed with ice cubes. But specific ice cubes. She only likes the cubicle extruded shape with the hole in the middle.  And she understands the word ice. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

You still fostering cats?  I find that admirable.  I'm a big teddy bear and couldn't let them go. We have 2 that a stay had under deck last year. 

The tortie from that litter is obsessed with ice cubes. But specific ice cubes. She only likes the cubicle extruded shape with the hole in the middle.  And she understands the word ice. 

We actually stopped a few weeks ago. We have two cats now - one foster fail who is AMAZING. She’s like the perfect, funny, adolescent cat. Our other cat is older and he was really kind of regressing when we were bringing in fosters so frequently. We stopped for a bit and he seemed to do better w/o the foster kittens around. He’s just kind of a dud cat, but the organization we adopted him from thinks he was really abused before he was surrendered. He’s been doing better, so we are keeping up the fostering moratorium for his sake. 

Plus, it was so hard to say goodbye to them! I don’t want to end up the crazy cat people with a bunch of cats in their tiny apartment. 😂

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We actually stopped a few weeks ago. We have two cats now - one foster fail who is AMAZING. She’s like the perfect, funny, adolescent cat. Our other cat is older and he was really kind of regressing when we were bringing in fosters so frequently. We stopped for a bit and he seemed to do better w/o the foster kittens around. He’s just kind of a dud cat, but the organization we adopted him from thinks he was really abused before he was surrendered. He’s been doing better, so we are keeping up the fostering moratorium for his sake. 

Plus, it was so hard to say goodbye to them! I don’t want to end up the crazy cat people with a bunch of cats in their tiny apartment. 😂

We've probably entered crazy cat people territory.  I keep telling my wife NO MORE!!  Quit feeding the strays. 5 is enough. But we love them all. 

I try and catch, spay, neuter all that I can. 

But I love these little bastards. 

Resized952020112995013251.jpg

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

We've probably entered crazy cat people territory.  I keep telling my wife NO MORE!!  Quit feeding the stays. 5 is enough. But we love them all. 

I try and catch, spay, neuter all that I can. 

But I love these little bastards. 

Resized952020112995013251.jpg

Yeah, but you guys probably have the room for it! I’ve really come back around to cats during this fostering period. They are so quirky and funny. I love that tortie of yours. We had a great tortie that lived to be 17. She was a little scrapper. 

When we moved from Indy to NYC. I drove out in a huge UHaul and my wife followed in our Honda with the four cats and our dachshund (who is still with us)! We settled into a 400 sq ft. Wall Street apartment with FOUR cats and one dog. That’s cat crazy territory. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Yeah, but you guys probably have the room for it! I’ve really come back around to cats during this fostering period. They are so quirky and funny. I love that tortie of yours. We had a great tortie that lived to be 17. She was a little scrapper. 

When we moved from Indy to NYC. I drove out in a huge UHaul and my wife followed in our Honda with the four cats and our dachshund (who is still with us)! We settled into a 400 sq ft. Wall Street apartment with FOUR cats and one dog. That’s cat crazy territory. 

Well we have 940 sq ft. 

I have rules for life. Don't buy a house that too big to clean, don't have yard too big too mow, and dont have a pet that produces a turd you are unwilling to pick up. 

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Well we have 940 sq ft. 

I have rules for life. Don't buy a house that too big to clean, don't have yard too big too mow, and dont have a pet that produces a turd you are unwilling to pick up. 

Okay 5 cats in 940 sq ft is not too much worse than 2 cats in 500 sq ft, but I think we are both on the precipice of cat crazy. 

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Well we have 940 sq ft. 

46 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Okay 5 cats in 940 sq ft is not too much worse than 2 cats in 500 sq ft, but I think we are both on the precipice of cat crazy. 

Hats off to both of you. I was never a "cat guy" til we moved here...Love our barn cats...

BTW, the horse we found was picked up by the Sherriff Tuesday. If no one claims him in 10 days, my wife wants to pay all of the fees and get him back...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Hats off to both of you. I was never a "cat guy" til we moved here...Love our barn cats...

BTW, the horse we found was picked up by the Sherriff Tuesday. If no one claims him in 10 days, my wife wants to pay all of the fees and get him back...

I never was either. It's one of those things kinda just happened.  In the pic the one in the middle and on the right were part of a litter a stray had under our deck last year. We took care of them from day 1 and were able to find a home for 2 from the litter. And got the stray spayed. 

I cant help but think of Bob Barker at the end of every Price is Right.  

• Like 1