Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Rascally rabbits always try devastate my lettuce.  I agree. Chicken wire or plastic mesh does the trick.  One year, before I learned.  Went out one night to check my lettuce. Was looking great. Said to myself.  Let it go overnight. And pick it in the morning.  Went out in the morning.... only to find those demon rabbits had eaten it all.

The first year it happened I had to replant almost everything. Doesnt take them long to clean you out. Like you, there one day and gone the next. 

12 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My town has a rabbit infestation, and since I lived in city limits I cant shoot'em, wife dont want me to trap them because she knows I will want to eat them. So I just have to make extra efforts to protect my plants. Chicken wire does the trick. Really want to eat those rabbits though. 

I normally am jealous of you guys with all those big yards and land, but I will say a fourth floor terrace does have it's advantages for growing food and not worrying about animals eating my plants. We do have some birds that nom on our cherry tomatoes sometimes, but if I put out a big bowl of water for them they leave the tomatoes alone.

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

The first year it happened I had to replant almost everything. Doesnt take them long to clean you out. Like you, there one day and gone the next. 

One good thing about lettuce. You can plant it practically the entire growing season.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I normally am jealous of you guys with all those big yards and land, but I will say a fourth floor terrace does have it's advantages for growing food and not worrying about animals eating my plants. We do have some birds that nom on our cherry tomatoes sometimes, but if I put out a big bowl of water for them they leave the tomatoes alone.

About 3 years ago went in half with a neighbor and bought the lot next door, tore down the trailer.  Nice open green space and increase my lot and property value, but the slugs tore through the garden. Went out every night with salt and lost count at about 1000 slugs salted.  Tomato worms can also be a real pain. They will kill a plant within days, and they are really hard to spot. 

9 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I find it great. Knowing how and where you live. That you still find a way to grow "stuff" on your patio. 

34 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

About 3 years ago went in half with a neighbor and bought the lot next door, tore down the trailer.  Nice open green space and increase my lot and property value, but the slugs tore through the garden. Went out every night with salt and lost count at about 1000 slugs salted.  Tomato worms can also be a real pain. They will kill a plant within days, and they are really hard to spot. 

So far besides the occasional thirsty bird eating tomatoes, I've only had cabbage worms eating our kale last year and spider mites on our sedum plants (non food).

That lot sounds amazing. Would love to have some wide open space for planting.

36 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I find it great. Knowing how and where you live. That you still find a way to grow "stuff" on your patio. 

Ha, I've grown enough to give tomatoes and peppers to our neighbors and take some into work. I've become that old guy on the block that used to drop off produce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

My town has a rabbit infestation, and since I lived in city limits I cant shoot'em, wife dont want me to trap them because she knows I will want to eat them. So I just have to make extra efforts to protect my plants. Chicken wire does the trick. Really want to eat those rabbits though. 

Human hair and/or blood scattered on the soil will work 

I've been lucky and haven't had any noticeable issues with insects/animals getting to my plants.  The only issue I had was last year with the really wet spring, my tomatoes got end rot.  I've already got a bag of eggshells ready to put under them when I plant them this year to keep that from happening.  Mixed up a vinegar/eggshell solution last year that took care of it.

Over the last 2 weeks I've built a garden. There was a slope so I had to build a bit of a retaining wall and level it out. Added 2 yards of planting mix. Not sure of everything the wife will be planting. Lettuce and peas. 3 tomato plants. Should be planted this weekend now that the cold has gone. My work is more less done except for some watering. Rabbit fencing will go around the main garden. The area to the right is for blueberry bushes. Until they mature, will use some of that room for cucumbers and watermelons. 

20200512_160749.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Anybody get anything in the ground yet?  I'm right in the middle of storms coming this way.  Expecting 2-2.5 inches of rain the next few days with a chance of severe storms, so I'll probably be another week before it is dry enough to plant.  I'm really itching to get everything planted.

As i posted earlier. Here in Colorado, it is wise to wait until after mother's day to plant.  Having said that, have been tilling my gardens.  And expecting to plant next week.

4 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Anybody get anything in the ground yet?  I'm right in the middle of storms coming this way.  Expecting 2-2.5 inches of rain the next few days with a chance of severe storms, so I'll probably be another week before it is dry enough to plant.  I'm really itching to get everything planted.

Have early stuff, lettuce, spinach, fennel, some peppers.  Tomatoes and the rest going in this weekend.

If you are worried about rain try a raised bed with a simple french trench irrigation.  Had to replant one year because of torrential rainstorms and the trench system took care of it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Have early stuff, lettuce, spinach, fennel, some peppers.  Tomatoes and the rest going in this weekend.

If you are worried about rain try a raised bed with a simple french trench irrigation.  Had to replant one year because of torrential rainstorms and the trench system took care of it. 

I'm mostly worried about heavy rain, strong winds, or hail. My soil drains pretty well.  They could probably take the moisture, but I don't want them to get all beat up.  I thought about planting some things from seed like lettuce, but I just didn't get to it yesterday. 

3 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

I don’t have any real experience with plants, but I was given a shallow pot with green onions and 2 buckets with a tomato in each. 
How do I keep these alive and producing?

Green onions are hardy and dont take much work.

Tomatoes, just add water. Early morning or late evening.

On 5/13/2020 at 6:46 PM, Leathernecks said:

Smart man. 3" of rain Sunday washed out a bit of our garden. Will have to tweak things to keep some of the water out. 

20200517_182927.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1