Seems kind of pre mature to me.

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Christian said he will maintain his NCAA eligibility though. So it sounds to me like he is trying to be the voice of reason here. 

Thanks for that.  The article seemed as if little Wat was declaring.  Big Wat suggesting testing the waters.  And why not ?  Still think he is not ready. Just my opinion.

Just now, IU4Ever said:

Despite Christian's comments about retaining his eligibility, Trendon's tweet doesn't sound like a kid planning on staying in college.

I’ve said this many times. No kid wants to think that they aren’t good enough. That said when an NBA player tells them they aren’t getting drafted and should return to school the reality starts to set in. I’m sure Christian knows this and that’s why he said what he did.

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

I’ve said this many times. No kid wants to think that they aren’t good enough. That said when an NBA player tells them they aren’t getting drafted and should return to school the reality starts to set in. I’m sure Christian knows this and that’s why he said what he did.

Time for little Wat. To listen to.  Big Wat.

45 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

These are the kind of players who I talk about who leaves early that I just can't understand their mentality.  Since I don't work at the same place that Aaron Henry's father works at any longer I don't know if he still plans to enter the draft.  The last time I talked to him was about a week ago and he said he was putting the papers in to enter his name into the draft.

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What is bad is there are only 60 draft slots and usually there are over 80+ guys who enter early.  So do the math and it will tell you that a lot of those players will not even get drafted and a lot if you will never be heard form again.

Didn't the NCAA recently change one of its rules, and now allows players who aren't drafted to return to school? 

I can't imagine how infuriating it must be for a college basketball coach to manage a roster. Brad Stevens was ahead of his time in deciding life as an NBA coach was better, and this sort of thing is why I can't see him ever coaching college basketball again. 

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

Didn't the NCAA recently change one of its rules, and now allows players who aren't drafted to return to school? 

I can't imagine how infuriating it must be for a college basketball coach to manage a roster. Brad Stevens was ahead of his time in deciding life as an NBA coach was better, and this sort of thing is why I can't see him ever coaching college basketball again. 

I know they were talking about implementing that rule but I don't know if they ever did.  I can't remember anyone coming back to school after not getting drafted.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

TWat seems like a classic tweener to me.  Is he a 3 or a 4 in the NBA?  Players without an obvious position don't seem to last long in the league.  Much like Keion Brooks he needs another year or 2 for sure.

I’d argue that obvious positions in the NBA have actually gone by the wayside. Being a teeener in terms of the NBA matters less and less all the time. I don’t know if Trenton has the athleticism for the NBA, but being a 3/4 teeener doesn’t really matter anymore. 

Look at the Celtics as an example. Is Jayson Tatum a 3? A 4? Is Jaylon Brown a 2 or a 3? Throw Hayward into the mix, and off the bench you have Smart, Langford, Javonte Green, Semi Oljaleye. 

At this point the NBA is pretty much a guard, a bunch of wings, and maybe a Center if you have one, though it’s most likely a PF masquerading as a Center. I don’t know if he’s good enough for the NBA, but assume he is for discussion sake, I don’t think his position really matters. 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Yes they can return...as long as they return 5 days after the draft and use an NCAA approved agent.  
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/ncaa-to-allow-more-flexibility-for-college-basketball-players-considering-the-nba/2018/08/08/54a13e5a-9b3c-11e8-8d5e-c6c594024954_story.html

Most pull out before the draft after the combine and info period...and many transfer after that. Usually the ones that stay in are dead set on playing professionally and know they can make a g-league team or go overseas. I mean g league players earn a minimum 35k for 5 months and many will go overseas for a bigger contract. I don’t judge a kid that has grown up in the projects or trailer park on food stamps etc or has a family to feed of his own making a living. 

I think it's premature.  He had decent stats on a team that I'm guessing fell short of expectations.  He averaged double figures but it was on volume as he didn't shoot particularly well (26.9% from distance and 67.4% from the line).  His mistake was playing for Will Wade who is proving that he's only good at paying players...not coaching or developing them.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Saw Watford is rated the 73rd prospect in ESPN's top 

All it takes is one team To see something in you and to take a flyer on you at the end of the second and you end up with no guaranteed money or roster spot and a high likelihood at a brief career in the D League. 😎👍🏻💪🏻

Certainly you always want to get the best players you can (providing they aren't "trouble").  But in retrospect I'm glad we didn't sign Watford, especially while in a rebuilding period.  Trying to establish a "culture" and cohesion, the last thing you want is players hanging around for a "cup of coffee".  Heck, a lower classman seriously testing the waters is a bit of a disruption.  One and dones definitely can be beneficial, but IMHO the worst case scenario is a kid that comes in highly touted, becomes a focus of the roster (taking away opportunities from players that ARE in it for the long haul), doesn't play like a lottery pick, and then skips out on you.  In other words, having one and dones to put a good team over the top is fine, just not for making a team merely "decent" for a single season.

Over the years the opportunities for college players to go "pro" have multiplied astronomically.  It's not just the NBA or the
G-league or bust.  There are lots of overseas spots for players to play pro and make a decent living.

Do you remember Duncan Robinson of UM?  He couldn't get any interest from high (or even middle D1 team) out of high school and went to a D3 team and transferred to UM.  He did well there as a spot up shooter who couldn't defend his shadow.  He's now a starter at Miami.  Go figure.

Archived