Joey Brunk's Journey to IU

15 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i get that Brunk is limited, but can't understand not liking the kid on the floor a lot.  he goes hard.  he's tough.  he knows his limitations.  seems like he could be a fiery leader.  

Agreed, except I'm not convinced he's a vocal leader. No doubt he is the ultimate TEAM player, and I too, like him a lot. But...unless he's productive in the post, both offensively and defensively, he tends to clog up the lane quite a bit. Especially when TJD is in there, also working around the low post area.

I don't see him as a guy to hold others accountable on the floor for where they should be, or their overall play. I think he leads by example in the weight room, and on the floor with his own hard play, but I have yet to see him get on anybody for F'ing Up. (and I think he should. He has more experience than most on the team)

Personally, I think that TJD & Rob should step up and fill the leadership rolls. But that's just me.

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i get that Brunk is limited, but can't understand not liking the kid on the floor a lot.  he goes hard.  he's tough.  he knows his limitations.  seems like he could be a fiery leader.  

This kind of goes back to our discussion about bigs shooting in the other thread, but I'm sort of half with you and half not with you on Brunk. I like him, definitely. I also agree that he's tough, knows his limitations, play hard and has some good leadership qualities. 

With that said, I'd like to see him play less minutes this year, but more effective minutes. I think TJD is better suited and the team is better with him at the 5. I think IU needs to play smaller, faster, more athletic and more skilled. I don't know how ready to go guys like Lander and Geronimo will be, or how much better a guy like Franklin will be, but my fear is that Lander's skills get wasted with two big guys clogging the paint. 

Again I don't know how ready he is, but Lander brings skills at the guard spot that IU hasn't seen in a long time and it would be shame to see him essentially banging his head against the wall trying to penetrate, ala Langford, into a clogged paint with TJD and Brunk both in there. 

I'd just love to see a ultra-athletic, skilled and dynamic IU lineup and Brunk doesn't really fit that for me. I still think he's an important player for IU, I'd just like to see him closer to 15mpg as opposed to 20mpg. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This kind of goes back to our discussion about bigs shooting in the other thread, but I'm sort of half with you and half not with you on Brunk. I like him, definitely. I also agree that he's tough, knows his limitations, play hard and has some good leadership qualities. 

With that said, I'd like to see him play less minutes this year, but more effective minutes. I think TJD is better suited and the team is better with him at the 5. I think IU needs to play smaller, faster, more athletic and more skilled. I don't know how ready to go guys like Lander and Geronimo will be, or how much better a guy like Franklin will be, but my fear is that Lander's skills get wasted with two big guys clogging the paint. 

Again I don't know how ready he is, but Lander brings skills at the guard spot that IU hasn't seen in a long time and it would be shame to see him essentially banging his head against the wall trying to penetrate, ala Langford, into a clogged paint with TJD and Brunk both in there. 

I'd just love to see a ultra-athletic, skilled and dynamic IU lineup and Brunk doesn't really fit that for me. I still think he's an important player for IU, I'd just like to see him closer to 15mpg as opposed to 20mpg. 

i don't really disagree with this.  definitely want a fast paced athletic team.  

i would like to see Brunk off the bench.  It really showed as the season went on that he just doesn't have the talent to go 20+ minutes on a night after night basis in the B!G.  He did have a couple really good games where he was the reason we won, but there were may night he was a hindrance on the floor.  Lead from the gym, from practice, and from the bench.  And lead by example of hustle and grit when on the floor.

Archived