The best IUBB player by numbers ?

Some tough calls there.  Walt Bellamy will always be my favorite player, regardless of number.  Jimmy Rayl vs Archie Dees ?  Wow.  Guess Dees changed his number at one time.

And number 40.... Calbert Cheaney.  All time B!G leading scorer.  But Cody breaking the dam for recruits coming to IU.... was pretty darn good in the more modern age.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Some tough calls there.  Walt Bellamy will always be my favorite player, regardless of number.  Jimmy Rayl vs Archie Dees ?  Wow.  Guess Dees changed his number at one time.

And number 40.... Calbert Cheaney.  All time B!G leading scorer.  But Cody breaking the dam for recruits coming to IU.... was pretty darn good in the more modern age.

I don't now how DD did not earn this for #1 LOL or how about Todd Jadlow

#35 McGinnis listed as honor mention behind my man Walt Bellamy.  I can live with that.

But #23 Eric Gordon, listed above Keith Smart..... who brought NC home to us ?  I don't get that one.

All great IUBB players.  Love them all.

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Pretty sure we have talked about this in the past. Quite frankly not much to talk about right now. During this pandemic. So let's delve back into it again. Love talking about our greatest. So why not now ?

A list from May of this year :

The best player to wear every jersey number in Indiana basketball history – The Athletic

3) That DJ White and Edwards is tough for me. I'd go Edwards.

22) Man again close one. Probably just an era thing but hard to go against Damon.

41) I think Butch Carter should be removed from anything IU related

One thing I noticed is how many numbers get used or rarely used. Fun topic.

2 minutes ago, Sark said:

Why would Butch be eliminated from anything IU related? A very good player for IU, and very bright. And Thomas Bryant over John Laskowski? Not even close.

image.jpeg.faae40a871bcaf10f294c178af81788c.jpeg

Good point. Maybe a few personal experiences with Mr Carter have skewed my opinion. Yep on 31. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

3) That DJ White and Edwards is tough for me. I'd go Edwards.

22) Man again close one. Probably just an era thing but hard to go against Damon.

41) I think Butch Carter should be removed from anything IU related

One thing I noticed is how many numbers get used or rarely used. Fun topic.

I’d go with Edwards too. Had he stayed four years, that one wouldn’t even be close. I truly believe had he stayed four years, he would be considered among the greatest ever to play at IU. 

48 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’d go with Edwards too. Had he stayed four years, that one wouldn’t even be close. I truly believe had he stayed four years, he would be considered among the greatest ever to play at IU. 

Offensively...sure.  Defensively...lol...

On 7/25/2020 at 8:15 PM, milehiiu said:

#35 McGinnis listed as honor mention behind my man Walt Bellamy.  I can live with that.

But #23 Eric Gordon, listed above Keith Smart..... who brought NC home to us ?  I don't get that one.

All great IUBB players.  Love them all.

The Gordon/Smart one is tough.  Gordon did a ton in the one year he was here.  And had he not hurt his hand, who knows how far they might have gone.  I don't know Smarts stats so i can't say if he was a good a player other than the shot

#2 - Wat -- 9th all time in rebounds, 10th in scoring, 42% 3-point shooter, the famed "Wat Shot" -- but a poster repeatedly called him "cookies" and some advocated for him to transfer early on. Talk about a lesson in patience. Wat was one of our best, regardless if the best at #2 -- definitely minimally in that conversation.

#4 - Vic. Hands down.

#5 - Troy over Crawford. Hmm. Crawford was the better all-around player, but he left early. Also had the better NBA career. I'm a Troy fan, but he came in really raw.

#11 - Yogi just had to pick the number of one of the best point guards ever, and clearly IU's best. Yogi was fantastic, IT was the best.

#22 -- Mostly before my time, but love the competition for this spot between Rayl and Dees, and Garrett wasn't too shabby either. 

#34 - Evans or Schlundt. That's a good one. Would echo those above.

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

4 of the 5 starters for UNC that night ended up being top 7 picks in their drafts.

On paper those two teams were miles apart. I watched that intro video and it was almost funny to hear 6”5 IU freshman forward Marty Simmons followed by 6’10” UNC senior forward Sam Perkins (in NBA for 17 years) and of course Dakich being followed by Michael Jordan. I have a couple of friends that are UNC grads/fanatics and they view that season the way we view 1975 and 1993 as the championships that got away. And, as you stated, they are still unhappy the way Dean kept Jordan on the bench for so long and they view the second foul on Jordan (which was a BS call) the way we view the Calbert charge call vs Duke.
That’s the thrill/challenge of the tourney as I would bet that UNC would have beat us that year 8 or 9 times out of 10.

1 hour ago, IU878176 said:

On paper those two teams were miles apart. I watched that intro video and it was almost funny to hear 6”5 IU freshman forward Marty Simmons followed by 6’10” UNC senior forward Sam Perkins (in NBA for 17 years) and of course Dakich being followed by Michael Jordan. I have a couple of friends that are UNC grads/fanatics and they view that season the way we view 1975 and 1993 as the championships that got away. And, as you stated, they are still unhappy the way Dean kept Jordan on the bench for so long and they view the second foul on Jordan (which was a BS call) the way we view the Calbert charge call vs Duke.
That’s the thrill/challenge of the tourney as I would bet that UNC would have beat us that year 8 or 9 times out of 10.

I re watched that game about a couple of months ago and UNC got off to a good start but Smith Started subbing.  It shouldn't have came down to the wire if we hadn't missed 5 front end of one and ones in the last 7 minutes.

Archived