Signing day

Leathernecks

This year is the first year there is an early signing period from December 20-22.  Anybody have any insight on who is planning on signing or not signing at that time?  I'd love to get most of our commits locked up so we don't have to worry about them being poached.

How many more are we looking to add in this class?  Any thoughts on who it might be?

It will be interesting to see how it is handled across all of college football.  This is the first time, I just curious to see what percentage of committed players sign.  Not just at IU but all over the country.

Most college basketball players sign in the early period, and there's no guarantee that the coach they want to play for will be at the school.  With the timing of the football signing day, the coaching carousel has pretty much stopped.

10 hours ago, btownqb said:

Ronnie Walker, Jacolby Hewitt are I know. Maybe Reese Taylor. 

Walker and Taylor are the two I really can't wait to sign so they don't get poached.  I think they're going to be special.  I'd love them both to get it out of the way in the early period so we don't have to worry about it.

9 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It’ll be interesting to see what happens when committed recruits don’t sign in the early period. Will coaches tell them to look for other opportunities?

Here's an article I found that talks about what some coaches have said.

Summing up the article, here were some of the headlines of what the writer gathered from talking to coaches who spoke in anonymity.

Coaches expect every verbal to sign early

Some commits might be asked to wait a day or two in case plan A or B falls through

If you verbally commit and don't sign, you're not committed

I think there will be a handful of "player X didn't sign with team Y, and team Y is no longer pursuing player X."  Obviously teams can't talk about recruits, but I'm sure there will be plenty of players around the country who on December 23rd will no longer be interested in the school they verballed to.  It will probably be a combination of recruits being told to wait til February and backing out, and recruits not wanting to sign early and the teams backing out.

54 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Walker and Taylor are the two I really can't wait to sign so they don't get poached.  I think they're going to be special.  I'd love them both to get it out of the way in the early period so we don't have to worry about it.

Knock on wood, we don't need to worry about them. 

Archived