In Search of...Wireless Earbuds

IUFLA

I listen to music a lot...Any outdoor work I do I have my wired Bose Quiet Comfort wired headphones on. I have an older version than the one pictured. But I'd rather go wireless. I bought a pair of Tozo T6s just for a basic pair of ear buds. They do ok for phone calls and such, but music is terrible through them.

So I was considering the Bose Soundsport Free. I like Bose products. I have a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort II over the ear which are phenomenal on a plane, but impractical for use outside in this Ungodly Texas heat...

So, anybody have any recommendations?

Edited by IUFLA

Just now, tdhoosier said:

I'm going to be a total 'Becky', but I really like my airpods. Yes there are better sounding earbuds, but if you have an iphone they are just too convenient. Plus, they fit my ear holes perfectly and the wireless charging case is key. 

See those don't fit my ears at all.  

The knock offs have that charging case, as well.  

I do love the tap to pause on the airpods.. my biggest thing is I'll lose them and I'll be out $200 lol

• Like 1

Just now, tdhoosier said:

I'm going to be a total 'Becky', but I really like my airpods. Yes there are better sounding earbuds, but if you have an iphone they are just too convenient. Plus, they fit my ear holes perfectly and the wireless charging case is key. 

I have a Pixel 4 XL(had iPhones up to the 6)...I have thought about trying the AirPods (my wife has a pair I bought her for Christmas) but I wonder how well they work with Google Assistant (which I MUCH prefer to Siri)...I see Google just put out Pixel earbuds but the reviews on music aren't stellar...

Just now, IUFLA said:

I have a Pixel 4 XL(had iPhones up to the 6)...I have thought about trying the AirPods (my wife has a pair I bought her for Christmas) but I wonder how well they work with Google Assistant (which I MUCH prefer to Siri)...I see Google just put out Pixel earbuds but the reviews on music aren't stellar...

Siri is so dumb. And I don't know how or if they can work with a Pixel/Google assistant. 

I give way too much money to Apple but they are like a wormhole that suck you in. We were holding out to get my son who is in 6th grade a phone for as long as possible, but now he needs to communicate with us after cross-country practice so we know where and when to pick him up. My wife was not in favor of my idea: having him find a payphone, call us collect, and when the name prompt pops up just quickly say "come pick me up behind the school!" haha. 

BUT Verizon has a deal going on that we can add another line for $10/month and get a free iphone SE. That is hard to pass up, but it's the principle, damn it!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Siri is so dumb. And I don't know how or if they can work with a Pixel/Google assistant. 

I give way too much money to Apple but they are like a wormhole that suck you in. We were holding out to get my son who is in 6th grade a phone for as long as possible, but now he needs to communicate with us after cross-country practice so we know where and when to pick him up. My wife was not in favor of my idea: having him find a payphone, call us collect, and when the name prompt pops up just quickly say "come pick me up behind the school!" haha. 

BUT Verizon has a deal going on that we can add another line for $10/month and get a free iphone SE. That is hard to pass up, but it's the principle, damn it!!!!

It's always "the principle, dammit!" 😁 And Apple has plenty of my cash too...

I think we bought my youngest a cell phone when she was a freshman in high school (2009). Word of caution, she's STILL on my plan (along with my middle daughter...I offered the oldest but she said, "nah, help the waifs.") married and at 25...

I'll admit, I'm very picky about listening to music...if my headphones make Lou Rawls sound like Tiny Tim, that ain't cutting it...

Edited by IUFLA

17 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

OMG I use to do that with my mom after practice before I got my cell phone lol. 

Edited by IUskim
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Just did that with my son Ayden. SE seems to work well and for an extra 10 per month cant beat it. I just wish the rest of the Verizon bill was not a fortune

• Like 2

To each their own. I personally don’t like the ear pods for any length of time. We have a couple sets that seem to never get used. I like music/podcast when on the mower or some kind of outdoor task. I use Beats Studio 3 because they are light and comfortable. They also have a great sound and connect easily to Bluetooth. I fold them up and store away in a hard case. I have to recharge them about once a month. They are a bit pricey though but as much as I use them, well worth it in the long run.

Edited by Inequality

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

How the hell do you get them to pair up?

Most have a touch sequence for pairing, and volume...my cheap pair of Tozos turn on when you take them out of the case (which doubles as a wireless charger) and off when they go back in...

Edited by IUFLA

Jabra Elite 75t - better base and music quality generally than AirPods, less expensive but not cheap 

If staying around $100 or so and sticking with wireless my favorites are Sennheiser  - the model HD 4.4 BT’s are solid, and heavy bass. They are on ear - I really don’t like ear buds

Quick aside on Beats (Dr Dre’s creation). Have 3 kids and I and the kids have had about every pair — generally they’re good but often uncomfortable- tight on ear fit. The Studio wireless are good. But there are several brands that are much better in that price range, and Beats tend to fail over time 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Quick aside on Beats (Dr Dre’s creation). Have 3 kids and I and the kids have had about every pair — generally they’re good but often uncomfortable- tight on ear fit. The Studio wireless are good. But there are several brands that are much better in that price range, and Beats tend to fail over time 

I tried a pair of Beats right before I bought the Bose QC35IIs and they had better bass, but I thought the highs were really tinny...

• Like 1

Have you looked into Sennheiser? They have Momentum wireless buds that are supposed to be pretty good. More natural midrange or highs than something like Beats or Apple. I have the Momentum 2 wireless headphones (not earbuds) and I was surprised how great they sounded. My other headphones are Audeze LCD-2, so am used to pretty decent sound.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Jabra Elite 75t - better base and music quality generally than AirPods, less expensive but not cheap 

If staying around $100 or so and sticking with wireless my favorites are Sennheiser  - the model HD 4.4 BT’s are solid, and heavy bass. They are on ear - I really don’t like ear buds

Ha, beat me to it with the Senn recommendation.

• Like 1

Just for anybody who cares or is in the market...

These Bang and Olufsen E8s are awesome. They are the 1st generation (they're up to 3rd gen) hence the reasonable price ($96 shipped)...

The highs and midrange on these are exceptional...Bass is good, not too much, but it seems just about right for my listening preference...

It's funny, they come with a bag full of the silicone tips...tried the mediums and the sound wasn't good. I was about to package them back up and send em back...Then I tried the larger ones, got a great seal, and they were rocking...Listening to George Harrison's "What is Life?" right now and it's never sounded better...

• Like 2