Backcourt

Thoughts on a backcourt rotation?

I'm impartial who plays along TJD in front court (Race or Joey), but what 'combination' makes us strongest at 1-3, and why? What 'rotation' can best create, create space, take care of the ball and play D? We have a lot of boys that can play.

I'm puzzled, as Archie has his work cut out for him. Here's a curveball 1-3:

1) Lander

2)  Al

3) Trey Galloway (with an improved shot over this summer)

Just for fun

24 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Who is this "TP" you speak of?

I'm "hoping" it was a finger fart for RP. Assuming it is, I suspect RP & Al, will start and the "best of" Armaan, Lander, Leal, Galloway to rotate in depending on match ups, who's hot and who's not.

I don't really care who starts. I care about who earns the most minutes. (assuming Archie isn't afraid to pull a guy out)

29 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Lander

Rob

Al/Hunter

Hunter/Joey

TJD

I think four of the starters at the beginning will be

RP

AL

Race

TJD

I guess the fifth will probably be Lander but could see Hunter as well.  I guess Brink could start over Race but I think Archie will want to be more versatile

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I think four of the starters at the beginning will be

RP

AL

Race

TJD

I guess the fifth will probably be Lander but could see Hunter as well.  I guess Brink could start over Race but I think Archie will want to be more versatile

I think Hunter gives CAM the ability to be the most versatile.  He can slide between the 3-4 depending on if CAM wants to play big or small.  I just dont see Lander comming here, a year early, to not start.  If we play small i think Al will start, if we go big i think it will be Brunk.  Race and Al can play multiple positions which i think gives them the best case for comming off the bench.

Believe me, i played 2 years of hs basketball, i know what im talking about. 🤓🤣

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

KL

RP

AD

JH/RT

TJD

I think this is right at the start with the only real question (imo) who starts between Hunter and Race. 

CAM has been talking about having more shooting to help spread the floor -- that favors Hunter, whose shooting was outstanding by year end. However, with a 3-guard look of Lander, Rob and Al, there is shooting and Race strengthens the more traditional front court. 

The good news -- both Hunter and Race are getting major props from their teammates for their summers -- I don't have the links handy but saw a couple September interviews of Brunk and Al, when asked who of the young guys expected to make a jump Brunk said Hunter and Race have been having great summers and Al said Race.

Wildcard: Geronimo. CAM was interviewed a while back and mentioned Geronimo several times. He has a college - ready body and athleticism, is a defense-first wing, and kind of like Vic, would expect him to come in and grow his game quickly

47 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think this is right at the start with the only real question (imo) who starts between Hunter and Race. 

CAM has been talking about having more shooting to help spread the floor -- that favors Hunter, whose shooting was outstanding by year end. However, with a 3-guard look of Lander, Rob and Al, there is shooting and Race strengthens the more traditional front court. 

The good news -- both Hunter and Race are getting major props from their teammates for their summers -- I don't have the links handy but saw a couple September interviews of Brunk and Al, when asked who of the young guys expected to make a jump Brunk said Hunter and Race have been having great summers and Al said Race.

Wildcard: Geronimo. CAM was interviewed a while back and mentioned Geronimo several times. He has a college - ready body and athleticism, is a defense-first wing, and kind of like Vic, would expect him to come in and grow his game quickly

Brunk started 31 of 32 games last year and you don't think he's starting this year?

I'll go with...

TJD

Brunk

Durham

Phinsee

Lander

First two off the bench

Hunter

No S in between :

Thompson

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think Geronimo will be a key player, I expect the most out of him of all the freshman. I think he, along with Hunter, give us a lot of versatility in that they both are capable of playing the 3 or the 4. 

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Brunk started 31 of 32 games last year and you don't think he's starting this year?

I'll go with...

TJD

Brunk

Durham

Phinsee

Lander

First two off the bench

Hunter

No S in between :

Thompson

We didn't have a choice but to play big last year - hard to imagine us going that route again between CAM's comments about it and the make up of this team. And even though Brunk started, later in the year his minutes were drastically reduced. 

I think he is a really good fit with a second unit because you can throw him the ball inside and he can find a way to score, much like Davis last year. 

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'll go with...

TJD

Brunk

Durham

Phinsee

Lander

First two off the bench

Hunter

No S in between :

Thompson

Oh Brunk could start certainly. But maintainingthe lineup without adding shooting and ignoring the growth of Hunter and Race doesn't really make sense. 

The pull here is between getting/staying old, a CAM concept, and growing the offense with the growth of key players, a must. 

I like Brunk, but he doesn't add much to offense and limits what we can do offensively. Hunter is probably the most dynamic player on the team -- the question there is to what extent he's now again the player he was (with growth) coming in as a frosh. He ended the season shooting well North of 40% from deep. Race's growth is obvious, on both ends. There's a reason players -- including Brunk -- are talking about how well both have looked over the summer.

Then, frankly, there's Rob. Rob needs to start -- if healthy. He wasn't healthy almost all of last year and came in off the bench because of it. Hopefully he's healthy.

26 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We didn't have a choice but to play big last year - hard to imagine us going that route again between CAM's comments about it and the make up of this team. And even though Brunk started, later in the year his minutes were drastically reduced. 

I think he is a really good fit with a second unit because you can throw him the ball inside and he can find a way to score, much like Davis last year. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh Brunk could start certainly. But maintainingthe lineup without adding shooting and ignoring the growth of Hunter and Race doesn't really make sense. 

The pull here is between getting/staying old, a CAM concept, and growing the offense with the growth of key players, a must. 

I like Brunk, but he doesn't add much to offense and limits what we can do offensively. Hunter is probably the most dynamic player on the team -- the question there is to what extent he's now again the player he was (with growth) coming in as a frosh. He ended the season shooting well North of 40% from deep. Race's growth is obvious, on both ends. There's a reason players -- including Brunk -- are talking about how well both have looked over the summer.

Then, frankly, there's Rob. Rob needs to start -- if healthy. He wasn't healthy almost all of last year and came in off the bench because of it. Hopefully he's healthy.

I think his minutes will be about the same as last year (19 per) but I do think he'll start...Race and Hunter will end up getting more MPG though...

If Lander is as advertised, it'll be interesting to see Rob playing off the ball...

30 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think his minutes will be about the same as last year (19 per) but I do think he'll start...Race and Hunter will end up getting more MPG though...

If Lander is as advertised, it'll be interesting to see Rob playing off the ball...

I guess this highlights the over-emphasis in discussions of who starts. On the one hand, starting is important as setting the tone out of the gate and not ending up having to dig the team out of a hole. On the other, how much a player plays, and who finishes the games, especially tight games, says a lot more.

Brunk brings stability and veteran leadership along with good front-court play generally. That matters. But we couldn't score well last year, because of a limited ability to spread the floor with more perimeter shooting, and our defensive mobility was limited. That needs to improve. CAM has recognized that, publicly. Now we'll see what the lineups do.

KL

RP

Al

Franklin

TJD

Brunk

Hunter

Race

That's your top 8. What the rotation looks like who know's at this point. The coaches probably don't completely know at this point. Geronimo, Galloway, and Leal could all slide in depending on the need at the time in the game or the matchup. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I will be shocked if he plays 19 MPG. He saw his minutes drop to 12.8 MPG in the last 9 games of last season, and that is even with a 28 minute game outlier. 

Brunk is and should be the odd man out on this team.  He doesn't quite have B1G talent.  RT and Hunter should out shine him in practice and take his starting spot.  He should be the first big guy off the bench to relieve either RT or TJD. 

Landers is going to start at point. With Al and Rob being the off guards.  Franklin and some freshman minutes will give them breathers.

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree with you. We played big because our team was big...you play to your strengths. Now we have added incredible depth to the backcourt and wings. Also playing faster and being versatile across the lineup in regards to defensively switching and handling the ball on offense is what Archie has been taking about for the past few years. I could be wrong but if I read his references he would like to play faster, uptempo, with better shooting, better switching on defense, and just more versatility on the floor. This would lead me to believe in a smaller or more wing centered lineup. More 3 guard and less traditionally big lineup. I don’t think you will see lineups with 3 guys that can’t shoot or play with the ball in their hands on the perimeter line we had when we had Smith/TJD/Brunk last year (you can sub in Race in this group). I know Brunk started a lot last year but he was losing major minutes down the stretch of the season...especially closing games to Race. Whether it changes to start the game I don’t know but I have a good feeling who will close the games. I also know Brunk is a senior...if the matchup dictates using him and he is being effective we will use him but the guy isn’t a risk to transfer out at the end of the year. If he isn’t happy with playing time well I got a bunch of younger guys I need to worry about. That is why I think AL and Brunk will have leadership roles but that might come by making sacrifices for their team...which is what a leader will be willing to do.

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I will be shocked if he plays 19 MPG. He saw his minutes drop to 12.8 MPG in the last 9 games of last season, and that is even with a 28 minute game outlier. 

We played "big" with TJD, Brunk, and Justin Smith...And Smith is gone...

Our frontcourt isn't very deep...Hunter is going to see minutes he didn't last year, but my personal opinion is we'll see 2 of our 3 bigs (TJD, Thompson, or Brunk) out on the floor more often than not...

I just can't see one big, Hunter, and 3 guards out on the floor together very often. Particularly against teams with size.

Archived