New Logo on IU uniforms...

I know we don't want to be political on this forum, so I will try to be as a-political as you possibly can (and in my defense, I believe this is the school inserting politics into sports) 

7fecadba-e098-45bd-bd6c-814402ecf870_192

So, someone could ask what the issue is with the individual items in the fist, but that symbol is very much a Communist symbol.  It has been adopted by BLM (the movement, not the concept) and there are things to disagree with politically with that group.

I really wish Indiana U. would not have waded into this in this manner.  I have reached the point where with sports, I am cutting them out when they get political, particularly with this kind of stuff.  There is a bunch wrapped up in the symbolism they chose that doesn't give off the peace and unity vibe to me that they slapped all over the hands.

Delete if this is too political, just not a fan of this.  To the point that I probably won't be watching this year now.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This probably won't last long, although you are correct that IU started it.  With the exception of "power", there's nothing wrong with any of those ideas.  I'm not sure where we are going with "power" as I personally believe there is far too much thirst for "power" by too many groups and factions.  Adding "power" to the fist and yeah...I don't like it at all either.  Again, every other word/phrase in that logo represent positive values we should all be for.  I'd be 100% fine without the power fist.  I think that just begs for controversy when it's unnecessary to make your point.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

This probably won't last long, although you are correct that IU started it.  With the exception of "power", there's nothing wrong with any of those ideas.  I'm not sure where we are going with "power" as I personally believe there is far too much thirst for "power" by too many groups and factions.  Adding "power" to the fist and yeah...I don't like it at all either.  Again, every other word/phrase in that logo represent positive values we should all be for.  I'd be 100% fine without the power fist.  I think that just begs for controversy when it's unnecessary to make your point.

Yes, it isn't the words on the symbol.  I think those are generally universal values.  It is the symbol itself.

And on another note, I don't want political messages mixed in with my entertainment in most cases.  With any political position, 1/2 your fans are probably going to disagree.  I have opinions on topics that I would not want to impose on people who disagree with me in this type of environment either. 

It is a big turn off to me.

It's not fair of me to put myself in the position of some of these athletes, so I'm not going to praise or condemn this. 

Universities have always been a place where social change is prevalent, so it is understandable that many student athletes would rally around a cause.

That said, when you have a team of athletes and not all of them have the same beliefs, in my mind it may not be ideal to bring it into the program in this way.  You can just as easily print the words on a chalkboard in the locker room and leave the symbolism out of it.  

Just now, 5fouls said:

It's not fair of me to put myself in the position of some of these athletes, so I'm not going to praise or condemn this. 

Universities have always been a place where social change is prevalent, so it is understandable that many student athletes would rally around a cause.

That said, when you have a team of athletes and not all of them have the same beliefs, in my mind it may not be ideal to bring it into the program in this way.  You can just as easily print the words on a chalkboard in the locker room and leave the symbolism out of it.  

Or put it on the IU symbol itself.  Love, Peace, Human Rights, etc. on the IU symbol makes sense.  I would be fine with that, I think the timing of this is political, but the message would be fine at that point.  I just have a problem with that fist and all of the things that have been done on behalf of that symbol, not just historically, but also in some of the political violence in this country the past few months.  That symbol is "taking sides" to me in that the groups who use it all have their definition of what each of those words mean and I don't share their definition.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Since I wasn't born or was very young didn't we see the same thing in the 60's and early 70's against the Vietnam war.  There were protest all over the country then so this is not a new thing.

Did the school put a peace symbol on the uniforms then?  I was not here for that timeframe either...but to me that symbol would be about the same as throwing a peace sign on the jersey during that timeframe.  Nobody is really against peace, but that symbol at the time had a little more political context behind it.  The type of context that some would be a-okay with, and others would not.

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Did the school put a peace symbol on the uniforms then?  I was not here for that timeframe either...but to me that symbol would be about the same as throwing a peace sign on the jersey during that timeframe.  Nobody is really against peace, but that symbol at the time had a little more political context behind it.  The type of context that some would be a-okay with, and others would not.

I guess I don't really pay attention to what is on an uniform so it will not bother me.  Just like in the NBA where it wasn't the political stuff thatmade me not watch the game.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I don't really pay attention to what is on an uniform so it will not bother me.  Just like in the NBA where it wasn't the political stuff thatmade me not watch the game.

Same for me on NBA.  Their product just sucks IMO...but I have been avoiding the NFL this year.

16 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't want political messages mixed in with my entertainment in most cases.  With any political position, 1/2 your fans are probably going to disagree.  I have opinions on topics that I would not want to impose on people who disagree with me in this type of environment either. 

It is a big turn off to me.

I don't like mixing politics with my sports either.  I know how hard we work to avoid that in this forum and I wish professional sports (and now unfortunately IU) would follow the same recipe.  I really don't want to walk away from the university I grew up rooting for, but depending on how far they decide to go with this dive into politics, it could happen and that would be sad.

I have stopped watching the NFL and NBA due to the kneeling and BLM BS and to be honest haven't even missed them to my surprise.  All I watch now is the PGA wrt professional sports.

Now, IU is stepping in it with their WOKE BS!  I don't want politics in my sports!  If they proceed down this road, I will not be watching them nor renewing my season tickets.  Haven't missed watching them in 40 years.  Go Woke and Go Broke as they say.  So sad.

6 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

I have stopped watching the NFL and NBA due to the kneeling and BLM BS and to be honest haven't even missed them to my surprise.  All I watch now is the PGA wrt professional sports.

Now, IU is stepping in it with their WOKE BS!  I don't want politics in my sports!  If they proceed down this road, I will not be watching them nor renewing my season tickets.  Haven't missed watching them in 40 years.  Go Woke and Go Broke as they say.  So sad.

It would take a lot more than this to make me stop watching IU sports.  I guess I just don't see anything with this that would upset me.

As for the NFL I have not seen anything mentioned on the broadcast about politics since the first week.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

It would take a lot more than this to make me stop watching IU sports.  I guess I just don't see anything with this that would upset me.

Yeah, a small logo on the uni, while some of the content is annoying/borderline offensive, would not be enough to drive me away.  I'll wait and see how far this goes before I'll jump off any bandwagon.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, a small logo on the uni, while some of the content is annoying/borderline offensive, would not be enough to drive me away.  I'll wait and see how far this goes before I'll jump off any bandwagon.

The thing is that ad middle age men we probably don't indentify with this situation.  The thing is that the majority of players playing sports fall into this demographic.  The sports orginization or colleges will want to make sure they back their players.  Also if you show you don't care you will take chances on losing players in the present and the future.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is that ad middle age men we probably don't indentify with this situation.  The thing is that the majority of players playing sports fall into this demographic.  The sports orginization or colleges will want to make sure they back their players.  Also if you show you don't care you will take chances on losing players in the present and the future.

Scott, again...with the right design, it supports the players without potentially alienating a lot of fans.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I just don't let it effect me to where I wouldn't watch a game.  It is a little logo on an uniform that we won't even notice while watching.

That's fine, everyone has their opinions and I am not trying to change yours.  Just providing my perspective.

Archived