Wommack leading candidate for South Alabama opening

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping to be able to keep him for 1 more year, but it isn't looking good for us.

If he does leave, I wonder if we'll promote someone already on the staff. Jones spent quite a bit of time at Ole Miss and worked with Dave Wommack, so he would be my guess. He was also been co-defensive coordinator there, so he has a little experience with how that works. I thought our safety play has taken a huge jump this year, so he might be an option.

Brandon Shelby has been here for 10 years, and we've had some pretty good corners during that time, so he might be another option.

52 minutes ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

If it's a promotion from within wouldn't surprise me if we looked at Brandon Shelby too, our secondary, and specifically the corners, have been pumping out some pretty good players over the years.

I had a post above about it. My first bet would be Jason Jones. Worked with Wommack's dad at Ole Miss. 2nd guess would be Shelby. We've had some good corners under him. 

Peoples has been a good defensive line coach for a long time. Never been a coordinator, so not sure if he's interested in being one. I would think he would have had plenty of opportunities to do that by now.

My guess is it is either Jones, Shelby, or an outside hire. No info, just guessing.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think it would be a good look if he tries to take coaches with him.

Happens all the time. Inge left last year to be the DC for DeBoer. If it is a lateral move, it is annoying, but I couldn't fault someone like Jones, Peoples, or Shelby going with him to become the DC there if we don't promote them.

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think it would be a good look if he tries to take coaches with him.

Wait why? People don't deserve to advance their career? That's part of it.  

One of my brother in laws bosses broke off from the company they were both working for to start his own company... he asked my brother in law what it would take for him to go with him... simply part of business and I'm happy for anyone that's advancing themselves and making a better life for their family. You should be too. 

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Happens all the time. Inge left last year to be the DC for DeBoer. If it is a lateral move, it is annoying, but I couldn't fault someone like Jones, Peoples, or Shelby going with him to become the DC there if we don't promote them.

Interesting that Coach W changes twitter profile re-tweets a whole bunch of South A. Stuff before issuing a thank you statement to IU.  Coach D last year did the opposite and most do.

I am confident Allen will find a great, if not better replacement.  Last year, Coach W was over his head, this year he killled it.  Got to think there is even more this defense can do as they mature and age.  Next hire is important, but this is Allen's D and that makes me confident it is going to be great.

Good luck to Coach W, bring up the next coach that extends the Allen Tree.

Archived