Wommack leading candidate for South Alabama opening

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not so sure how I feel about this since it is bittersweet being a diehard, but it's for the HC job which makes it understandable for sure.

This D has been pretty stingy, and looked dominant against everyone IU has played for at least one prolonged stretch in each game this season.

I think he is deserving and hard to blame them for giving a rising young coach his first shot.-as some other have pointed out here. I hope he goes out with a bang at IU in a NY6 game preferrably -and I'll wish him the best at South Alabama after his work here is done! 

Congrats Coach Wommack! 

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Several commentators this year have mentioned how sophisticated IU’s defense is, above what is typically seen at the college level. It’s confusing opposing offenses, a big reason for so many turnovers. Hopefully that doesn’t leave with Wommack..

It was somewhat like that Allen's first couple years too, so I still feel pretty confident in it. We didn't have near the talent on defense that we have now, so hopefully there isn't too big of a drop off.

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Several commentators this year have mentioned how sophisticated IU’s defense is, above what is typically seen at the college level. It’s confusing opposing offenses, a big reason for so many turnovers. Hopefully that doesn’t leave with Wommack..

Don't think Coach Allen didn't have his finger on the D for one min. Wommack called the plays. Not hard to do with the D.

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The broadcasters last week said that Kane has implemented different things in the defense compared to how his dad ran the defense.

3 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

IU has to be an attractive place for coordinators. They’ve had 2 become head coaches in 2 years, have a great culture, and a national spotlight. 

And I love that they're from both sides of the ball.  Except for the elite programs, a lot of coaches might churn out a few offensive OR defensive assistants, but to have one on offense and one on defense is really nice to have.

On 12/12/2020 at 2:19 PM, Leathernecks said:

Happens all the time. Inge left last year to be the DC for DeBoer. If it is a lateral move, it is annoying, but I couldn't fault someone like Jones, Peoples, or Shelby going with him to become the DC there if we don't promote them.

Specking of DeBoer how did you do this year?

14 minutes ago, Bob said:

Specking of DeBoer how did you do this year?

From a real brief look at a Fresno message board, it seems like they're lukewarm about DeBoer's first season, and a lot of people are pretty disappointed with Inge.  Can't say I'm surprised by the Inge sentiment.  I thought that was not a great choice for DeBoer to take with him.

On 12/12/2020 at 4:54 PM, BeerBQ said:

IU has to be an attractive place for coordinators. They’ve had 2 become head coaches in 2 years, have a great culture, and a national spotlight. 

This can't be said enough. 

The fact of the matter is that successful programs don't hang on to top level assistants very long. The guys with potential want to go to that job that will take them to the next level, and also to where they can learn from one of the best in the business. It feels great to say that legitimately....we have one of them now. Guys will want to come work for Tom Allen for 2-3 years to be able to take that next step. And although it makes his job that much harder, I bet that Coach Allen takes just as much pride seeing an assistant take a head coaching job as he does seeing a player graduate and/or get drafted. 

Allen has shown pretty good judgement when it comes to hiring his staff, so if changing coordinators every few years is the price we have to pay to be at this level....so be it. I trust that the position will be filled with someone of equal talent and potential. 

I'm still amazed at what a gold mine of a hire Tom Allen was, and I was in favor of hiring him from the start. I thought he'd be good, but he's blown "good" out of the water. 

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm just going to say it and surprised no one else has.  Maybe I'm way off on this.  

I'm hoping in the future our coordinators are sticking around and wait on power five offers.  Not fresno st and south alabama.  

I can't remember ever having coordinators getting HC jobs, at all. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

It's cool, it's great, it's a monster step forward for IU football.  Tom Allen is going to be mentioned for top 10 historic jobs all over the country.  I'm going to take great pleasure watching him turn them down as he continues to build this thing.  Already a top 10 team with next year looking possibly better.  Are we too far removed from a coordinator being a candidate for power 5?  I say no.  Had either guy waited until the end of the next year, they probably would be.  I get the ambition but they may have cost themselves the difference in a 5 year 1.3 mil a year job(DeBoer) vs 5 year 3.5 mil. about the range Illinois is going to come in at.  

Am I wrong that OSU, Michigan, Penn st, Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU etc, these perennial top 10-15 teams coordinators consistently get power 5 jobs?  Maybe it's not as common as I think.  

It would be interesting to go back through our defensive coordinators before we hired Allen and see where they went.  I know Knorr and Mallory were both fired.  Before that would have been when Lynch was head coach.   I feel pretty confident we didn't have any defensive coordinators moving up the ladder from the Lynch tree.

We've had a few more successful coordinators on offense (Littrell, Johns, Canada), but none of them went directly to a head coaching job.

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It's cool, it's great, it's a monster step forward for IU football.  Tom Allen is going to be mentioned for top 10 historic jobs all over the country.  I'm going to take great pleasure watching him turn them down as he continues to build this thing.  Already a top 10 team with next year looking possibly better.  Are we too far removed from a coordinator being a candidate for power 5?  I say no.  Had either guy waited until the end of the next year, they probably would be.  I get the ambition but they may have cost themselves the difference in a 5 year 1.3 mil a year job(DeBoer) vs 5 year 3.5 mil. about the range Illinois is going to come in at.  

Am I wrong that OSU, Michigan, Penn st, Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU etc, these perennial top 10-15 teams coordinators consistently get power 5 jobs?  Maybe it's not as common as I think.  

I think a big part of it was the jobs that opened up.  DeBoer and Wommack both went back to coach the program they left when they came to Indiana.  They both had familiarity with those programs, and I think that made a huge difference.  It would be nice to start having coordinators leave for bigger jobs, but just the fact that they're coming here and having success is huge for our program.  If we keep it up, we'll keep having them stay around until bigger and bigger jobs come calling.

I am curious to see who we hire or promote to be our next defensive coordinator. Could you see CTA calling the defense again if he doesn't think our current staff contains somebody ready enough to start calling plays? I feel like our scheme is kind of unique and it would be very difficult to have an outside hire in this system. 

22 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I think a big part of it was the jobs that opened up.  DeBoer and Wommack both went back to coach the program they left when they came to Indiana.  They both had familiarity with those programs, and I think that made a huge difference.  It would be nice to start having coordinators leave for bigger jobs, but just the fact that they're coming here and having success is huge for our program.  If we keep it up, we'll keep having them stay around until bigger and bigger jobs come calling.

I understand their connection to Fresno and S. Bama.  Had they stayed and finished out next year.  Possibly two top 10 finishes in a row.  They would both be hot commodities.  Wommack made $460,000 at IU.  S Bama's previous coach was on a 4 year $600,000/yr contract.  DeBoer is getting 5 year 1.3/yr.  

It's cool they went back "home" and I wish them great success but I think it's fair to wonder if they didn't cost themselves 10-15 million over 5 years.  

On 12/12/2020 at 5:25 PM, Indykev said:

Wommack said he would coach at IU the rest of the season. I saw this was at a press conference... was it an "in person" press conference or was it a live feed or whatever you want to call it. 

This could be important. 

His tweet above seems to say he will be staying to "finish the season off right".

Archived