Butler Game Thread

Reacher

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HoosierDom said:

Calm down everybody. We're playing a respectable team that has knocked down a lot of well guarded shots (and some less well guarded). They will miss some and the game will be close. Hopefully we will get a little more rhythm offensively and the game won't be close. 

With 10 minutes to go against Villanova Butler was right in the game

TJD hitting those two free throws was huge. We were down 9 and I was sure he would miss the front end of the 1/1 and then Butler would come down and score to go up 11. 

Instead he made 2, we got a stop and then scored again to cut it to 5. 

Same as when we were up 6-2 and TJD scored but called for a bugus charge. We could have been up 9-2, instead the crap charge call and then Butler hit a 3 to make it 6-5. 

Those little exchanges are so critical. 

Well, we have some work to do...

I thought we got discouraged on D when Butler hit a couple of tough shots and lost focus, giving them some open looks.

Our offense initially looked good, but then started settling for jumpers. I think Trayce got a little down because they weren't getting him the ball.

Beyond Armaan hitting some 3s, no one stood out.

1 minute ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Brunk could've really helped in this game. Their bigs wouldn't back him down so easily.  Gonna be hard on our two bigs to play so many minutes all year.

Yep, for all of the early ballyhoo about Race, he hasn't performed well lately...

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

TJD hitting those two free throws was huge. We were down 9 and I was sure he would miss the front end of the 1/1 and then Butler would come down and score to go up 11. 

Instead he made 2, we got a stop and then scored again to cut it to 5. 

Same as when we were up 6-2 and TJD scored but called for a bugus charge. We could have been up 9-2, instead the crap charge call and then Butler hit a 3 to make it 6-5. 

Those little exchanges are so critical. 

Amen to these scenarios inside the game. There's been 3-4 others with similar 5 point swings...all favoring Butler right now.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Brunk could've really helped in this game. Their bigs wouldn't back him down so easily.  Gonna be hard on our two bigs to play so many minutes all year.

The Brunk loss is really big. I know people want to minimize it because of his reduced minutes down the stretch last year, but we have nowhere to go if/when TJD or Race get in foul trouble or are on the bench in terms of bigs. 

Race isn't big enough to defend really good offesive 5's, Brunk is, and we saw Butler attack Hunter at the 4 when he was in. 

Not having that interior depth is going to hurt. 

Lots of really fixable issues. Butler won't hit 70% from 3 all game. Need to be more crisp on our switching defensively. Need to flash a 2nd defender to the post here and there to keep their bigs honest. On offense, need to start pushing the pace more. We're letting Butler bring the game to a crawl because they don't have the horses to run all game. Start attacking downhill, draw fouls, and shorten an already depleted rotation.

Archived