#8 Wisconsin pregame 1/7 7:00 pm EST FS1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I can't remember whether there was a guy closing on Anthony or not, but I'd have been good with that too...

Agree with you guys and this team being unselfish and an extra pass is usually better than less passes.   But, at some point a player like Rob just has to recognize he (or someone) has to take over.  The MD game was begging for it and Archie went to TJD for that.  He was the most logical choice based on the matchup, but at some point a guard will have to be an Alpha Dawg and just carry the team ... like Franklin has done a bit this year.   Just simply take over. That’s what elite guys do.  

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

good points.  it is kinda sad that we don't shoot better around the basket, etc.  i totally get that we need to hit from further out to open things up.  i just don't know to what end?  i personally can't see wanting us to shoot more 3s.  of course if a guy is on like AF has been or Al has been or even RP in a particular game, get them the ball and have them get 'em up!  definitely Leal if he's open.  that's what he's here for.  i'm just saying when we start 0-11, i'm not super excited with the theory of keep shooting 'em, 1 or 2 will go in!  you know?  the games that i felt like we looked the best, we started out moving the ball great and getting open looks around the basket.  then we started shooting 3s and it was like we completely forgot how to play.

It appears to me when TJD goes to the basket he doesn't shoot the ball but he just flips it up there hoping it goes in.  They always say you need to keep your chin on the rim which means you need to be looking at the rim when shooting.  To me it looks like he doesn't even look at the rim when shooting while going to the basket.  I also think that a lot of players drive to deep and go all the way to the basket where there are to many defenders.

Just now, Bustout said:

Agree with you guys and this team being unselfish and an extra pass is usually better than less passes.   But, at some point a player like Rob just has to recognize he (or someone) has to take over.  The MD game was begging for it and Archie went to TJD for that.  He was the most logical choice based on the matchup, but at some point a guard will have to be an Alpha Dawg and just carry the team ... like Franklin has done a bit this year.   Just simply take over. That’s what elite guys do.  

and i don't mean this as an attack on our guys, but they really aren't elite guys.  hopefully Lander will be next season.  Jerome kind of came in with those expectations.  Rob, Al, and Franklin really weren't seen as Elite guys coming into college and i don't think really have the ability to "take over."

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It appears to me when TJD goes to the basket he doesn't shoot the ball but he just flips it up there hoping it goes in.  They always say you need to keep your chin on the rim which means you need to be looking at the rim when shooting.  To me it looks like he doesn't even look at the rim when shooting while going to the basket.  I also think that a lot of players drive to deep and go all the way to the basket where there are to many defenders.

i love inside shots and shots going to the basket, but it's amazing to me that as good as TJD is, he misses a lot of inside shots going to his strong side!  i want to get him as many of those shots as possible, but dang, i expect a REALLY high % of those to go in!

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

i love inside shots and shots going to the basket, but it's amazing to me that as good as TJD is, he misses a lot of inside shots going to his strong side!  i want to get him as many of those shots as possible, but dang, i expect a REALLY high % of those to go in!

One thing the defense knows he will go to his left hand so they can defend him 

I say we start Lander, Galloway, Al,, Rob and TJD. 

And just launch the 3 as soon you have an open shot.  Forget running any sort of set offense.  Go in motion and if you get the ball and you have 2 feet of space, launch it.  Let TJD try and rebound and then run back on defense if it doesn't go in.

I want to see more threes shot than twos.  Just open up the flood gates and let it rain threes.  I don't care how ugly or off they are.  Let those 5 play for as long as they can.  Then bring in Leal and Hunter and let them rain threes also.

If its a confidence thing, then here you go.  If its a skill issues, well what better way to learn than doing it in a B1G conference game.

LITE IT UP!!!

42 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

and i don't mean this as an attack on our guys, but they really aren't elite guys.  hopefully Lander will be next season.  Jerome kind of came in with those expectations.  Rob, Al, and Franklin really weren't seen as Elite guys coming into college and i don't think really have the ability to "take over."

Understood and I hear ya.  I suppose, even though it’s not the expectation, Rob can just say F it, I’m going to get a bucket and we’re gonna get this train moving.    

To me, it’s more an attitude and mindset than ability. 

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so, we are certainly allowed to disagree, but just checking...you think we'll be a better team if we start shooting MORE threes?

Clearly. You need to leave the past behind and embrace the present. If your team can't hit threes, you will stagnate on offense while the other teams bombs you out of the building, sound familiar? We're already one of the lowest 3-point shooting teams out there. Our issue is not having guys who can't hit shots, it's not integrating the 3-ball into our offense, not shooting when the "good shots" our team creates are there. Need to get over belittling guys who have proven they can hit threes just because their averages are lower right now. Al finished last season hitting 38%. That's very respectable. Rob hasn't shown it much this year, but he's been lauded by CAM as turning into one of the 3 best shooters, and we have seen him connect with good form. Hunter finished last season hitting North of 40%, he's now at 35, he can hit somewhere between 35-40%. AF has surprised, I haven't thought his overall 3-point shooting would hold to his early numbers, but he's clearly good and absolutely should be shooting some threes. You want to watch ugly offense and see us fail to score down the stretch and lose games? Then keep up the argument.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Watch Adragna's breakdowns, they give a better look into what happens with TJD. He is much more comfortable going over one shoulder, the other team, having scouted that, fronts him to take away his strong side, he tries to force it and misses, and then tends, early on, to settle for jumpers not really in his arsenal. Watch Adragna's breakdown of the MD game, the night and day difference with TJD in the first and second half, and it started with his playing strong on the low post to take the weak shoulder the D gave him.

1 hour ago, Bustout said:

Actually Rob took over on several plays in the MD game -- also worth watching Adragna's game breakdown for this, he highlights Rob on a few key plays. So you don't have to take my word for it, lol

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Actually Rob took over on several plays in the MD game -- also worth watching Adragna's game breakdown for this, he highlights Rob on a few key plays. So you don't have to take my word for it, lol

Ha!  Haven’t had time to watch it yet, but i think rob is capable!

21 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Ha!  Haven’t had time to watch it yet, but i think rob is capable!

Have to keep repeating it's so cool to have Adragna's breakdowns posted here. Having the ability to go back with freeze-frame stops, and replayed sets, showing how the set was initiated, who moved where, who executed well or didn't, etc., is so helpful. We see a lot during the game, but at least speaking for myself, there's a lot of off-ball movement and movement within a set and switches that's just hard to catch in real time.

48 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Clearly. You need to leave the past behind and embrace the present. If your team can't hit threes, you will stagnate on offense while the other teams bombs you out of the building, sound familiar? We're already one of the lowest 3-point shooting teams out there. Our issue is not having guys who can't hit shots, it's not integrating the 3-ball into our offense, not shooting when the "good shots" our team creates are there. Need to get over belittling guys who have proven they can hit threes just because their averages are lower right now. Al finished last season hitting 38%. That's very respectable. Rob hasn't shown it much this year, but he's been lauded by CAM as turning into one of the 3 best shooters, and we have seen him connect with good form. Hunter finished last season hitting North of 40%, he's now at 35, he can hit somewhere between 35-40%. AF has surprised, I haven't thought his overall 3-point shooting would hold to his early numbers, but he's clearly good and absolutely should be shooting some threes. You want to watch ugly offense and see us fail to score down the stretch and lose games? Then keep up the argument.

sorry man.  i often don't understand the game.  thanks for clearing it up, but i don't belittle the guys.  i just said i don't think it's good to shoot more 3s when we don't shoot them well.  also didn't realize we had guys that had proven they were good 3 point shooters, but are just down a little now.  thanks for setting me straight though.  please continue to set me straight and explain this fascinating game to me!

12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Have to keep repeating it's so cool to have Adragna's breakdowns posted here. Having the ability to go back with freeze-frame stops, and replayed sets, showing how the set was initiated, who moved where, who executed well or didn't, etc., is so helpful. We see a lot during the game, but at least speaking for myself, there's a lot of off-ball movement and movement within a set and switches that's just hard to catch in real time.

100%.  Tony is awesome!

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

And just launch the 3 as soon you have an open shot.  Forget running any sort of set offense.  Go in motion and if you get the ball and you have 2 feet of space, launch it.  Let TJD try and rebound and then run back on defense if it doesn't go in.

I want to see more threes shot than twos.  Just open up the flood gates and let it rain threes.  I don't care how ugly or off they are.  Let those 5 play for as long as they can.  Then bring in Leal and Hunter and let them rain threes also.

If its a confidence thing, then here you go.  If its a skill issues, well what better way to learn than doing it in a B1G conference game.

LITE IT UP!!!

this seems like a solid game plan.  just see how many we can shoot!  surely we'll make some!

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

LITE IT UP!!!

my question is, why start TJD in that group?  if it's all about 3s, let's Franklin in there for TJD to help get more up?

I did not even like Wisconsisn in the 70s and 80s when they were a doormat and an easy win.  I think in history, IU's winning .pct against wisconsin is 67%. What was it before the last 15-20 years. 

I like this IU team and feel there is upside if they clean up some things.  I hate the lack of confidence of approaching a game expecting a loss. Reverse this trend and play lights out tonight to get a win.

Archived