Bud Mackey

The one time Sampson recruit who wore IU socks as a Kentucky High School player, was arrested again.  He and a girl were pulled over with 10lbs of meth in their vehicle.  Sad, the young man had the talent and charisma to be a star in college but wasted it.  Now he’s about out of chances to turn his life around.  Not sure of this deserves its own thread but didn’t know where to put it.

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

The one time Sampson recruit who wore IU socks as a Kentucky High School player, was arrested again.  He and a girl were pulled over with 10lbs of meth in their vehicle.  Sad, the young man had the talent and charisma to be a star in college but wasted it.  Now he’s about out of chances to turn his life around.  Not sure of this deserves its own thread but didn’t know where to put it.

You can't fix stupid!

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Former Scott County basketball star charged in meth bust - ABC 36 News (wtvq.com)

Shaking my head how people let this happen to themselves, especially when you have the opportunity that Mackey had.  I mean, is he sitting in that jail right now wondering what could have happened if he stayed clean and out of trouble.

Yeah, it really is sad.  It’s truly a disease of some sort.  Seen it happen to a few good kids.  Starts out innocent and ends up snowballing from there.

It is really sad. Please don’t post and call him stupid or just label him a hardcore criminal. He had some mental capacity issues in high school, and drugs in his young life, and people posting here have no idea about the kid’s background, his family history, his upbringing and the people in his life, etc etc. what it is is sad, he was extremely talented as a basketball player and the choices he made and life he’s in ended that future. Labeling him doesn’t do any good and dismisses his circumstances while knowing nothing about them 

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It is really sad. Please don’t post and call him stupid or just label him a hardcore criminal. He had some mental capacity issues in high school, and drugs in his young life, and people posting here have no idea about the kid’s background, his family history, his upbringing and the people in his life, etc etc. what it is is sad, he was extremely talented as a basketball player and the choices he made and life he’s in ended that future. Labeling him doesn’t do any good and dismisses his circumstances while knowing nothing about them 

I got a cousin that is 3 months older than me.  We graduated together at the same HS.  We farmed together growing up and what not.  He got a great job coming out of school.  Then something happened, he got into drugs.  Along with that came criminal activity to support his drug habit.  At 27 he was incarcerated in prison for 5 years.  Comes out and jumps right back in it.  Last I knew he was in jail in Wabash county for meth.  I could go on and on about the chances he got and family members trying to help him, but he stays active in that "meth click."  Just sad and my family has basically given up on him.  

2 hours ago, rico said:

I got a cousin that is 3 months older than me.  We graduated together at the same HS.  We farmed together growing up and what not.  He got a great job coming out of school.  Then something happened, he got into drugs.  Along with that came criminal activity to support his drug habit.  At 27 he was incarcerated in prison for 5 years.  Comes out and jumps right back in it.  Last I knew he was in jail in Wabash county for meth.  I could go on and on about the chances he got and family members trying to help him, but he stays active in that "meth click."  Just sad and my family has basically given up on him.  

I'm right with you, there Rico. Numerous friends and family who have been involved with meth in one way or another. One neighbor who is around 40, who has spent the majority of the last 20 years in prison. Gets out, gets popped, goes back. Rinse and repeat. 

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Sadly, it does make one wonder.

Maybe the attorneys on this site can chime in?

The article isn't Mar 2020 it was updated then. Originally from Jun 2011 so he probably served some of the sentence then got released (recently?) and is back at it again. 

Thanks to @Madison22 for noticing the dates on the article. I just noticed the updated date not the original one.

13 hours ago, rico said:

Both of my maternal and paternal great grandpas were alcoholics. My great grandpa on my stepdads side was an alcoholic.  My stepmothers family is full of alcoholics 

But my dads side is the worst. Alchohol, crack, meth, weed, cocaine, prison, whores with multiple kids from multiple dads. My dad was the baby of the family and somehow escaped that life. 

For context my dad lost his in 1975 as a 14 year old kid. So he shaped himself and taught me to be good and I am fortunate and grateful.  

Archived