Former Indiana HS basketball players.

rico

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

No doubt.  Louie brought it home..... he was a good one. 

I met Louie in 1971 when Coach Roger's brought to a basketball clinic at Yorktown. He could shoot the lights out. My brother went to Southport when Louie was there. Tim was the last cut for the basketball team and Louie took the time to console and tell him to not give up and keep playing  after he was cut.

I always wondered why Louie never ended up at Indiana. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I always wondered why Louie never ended up at Indiana. 

According to this article, Louie always wanted to go to IU, and not to Kentucky. However, Louie claims that on a visit to IU, McCracken made him feel like McCracken really did not want him.  While Rupp was just the opposite, so he chose Kentucky over IU.

UK legend Louie Dampier 

Probably did not help that the Dampier family had a summer vacation home in Kentucky.

Benson and Jeffries meet the high school and college criteria. Depends on how you define professional success as to whether either of these guys deserve to be in the conversation 

24 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Benson and Jeffries meet the high school and college criteria. Depends on how you define professional success as to whether either of these guys deserve to be in the conversation 

Did Benson or Jeffries ever make it to the NBA all-star game.

But it is a good question.  People say he is in the HoF.  FWIW.......seeing what I see 5 native Hoosiers(I could be wrong) are in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.  They are:

Oscar Robertson

Larry Bird

Clyde Lovellete

Louis Dampier

George McGinnis

But my eyebrow raised when I saw Ralph Sampson was in the Hall.

13 minutes ago, rico said:

But it is a good question.  People say he is in the HoF.  FWIW.......seeing what I see 5 native Hoosiers(I could be wrong) are in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.  They are:

Oscar Robertson

Larry Bird

Clyde Lovellete

Louis Dampier

George McGinnis

Bobby 'Slick' Leonard is also in the Hall of Fame.

Now that the talk has turned to Hall of Fame worthiness.  I would like to add that Dick Barnett, from Gary, whom I referred to earlier is a member of several halls of fame....

The Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame.

Dick Barnett | Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame

The Tennessee Basketball Hall of Fame.

The Small College Basketball Hall of Fame.

Dr. Dick Barnett at the Small College Basketball Hall of Fame Ceremony

10 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Now that the talk has turned to Hall of Fame worthiness.  I would like to add that Dick Barnett, from Gary, whom I referred to earlier is a member of several halls of fame....

The Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame.

Dick Barnett | Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame

The Tennessee Basketball Hall of Fame.

The Small College Basketball Hall of Fame.

Dr. Dick Barnett at the Small College Basketball Hall of Fame Ceremony

Impressive.  Why did he go to a small college?  Was it because of race?

47 minutes ago, rico said:

Impressive.  Why did he go to a small college?  Was it because of race?

I don't know for sure. Keeping in mind that it was 1955.  Your mention of this reminds me of two other high school standouts from Gary.... Ortsen Artis from Gary Froebel and Harry Flournoy from Gary Emerson.  Both were recruited by Coach Haskins at Texas Western.  And they went on to win the National Championship four years later.... beating Adolph Rupp and Kentucky.  Inspiring the movie "Glory Road".

As a young person, I was able to see Barnett, Artis and Flournoy all play in high school.  Orsten sadly, recently has passed away.

Orsten Artis, Gary Froebel graduate and basketball player featured in movie 'Glory Road,

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I don't know for sure. Keeping in mind that it was 1955.  Your mention of this reminds me of two other high school standouts from Gary.... Ortsen Artis from Gary Froebel and Harry Flournoy from Gary Emerson.  Both were recruited by Coach Haskins at Texas Western.  And they went on to win the National Championship four years later.... beating Adolph Rupp and Kentucky.  Inspiring the movie "Glory Road".

As a young person, I was able to see Barnett, Artis and Flournoy all play in high school.  Orsten sadly, recently has passed away.

Orsten Artis, Gary Froebel graduate and basketball player featured in movie 'Glory Road,

Great read, and I did not know that.

It’s too bad he doesn’t meet the college criteria as I would tell you Shawn Kemp was amazing to watch in high school and just as spectacular in the pros with the Sonics.  As someone I got to watch play high school ball on multiple occasions he was a man amongst boys out there.

I also really enjoyed watching Lee Nailon and that team from South Bend Clay that beat Bryce Drew in OT for a state title.  I thought Lee and Jaron Cornell were fun to watch in High School. Lee was WAC player of the year but didn’t really have a amazing pro career.  Those are two guys I really enjoyed watching and may be in my top five just because they are relevant to me and the players I have watched.

13 hours ago, rico said:

Oscar Robertson

Larry Bird

Clyde Lovellete

Louis Dampier

George McGinnis

John Wooden.

Archived