Former Indiana HS basketball players.

rico

If you were to rank former Indiana HS basketball players who would your top 5 be?  The criteria is how they did in HS, what they accomplished in college, and how they did in the pros.  Seems simple but after the first one it becomes murky.  My list would look like this:

1-Oscar Robertson

2-Larry Bird

3-George McGinnis

4-Scott Skiles

5-Kyle Macy

I am still thinking about 4 and 5.  I might be forgetting someone(I am getting old).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a book out there, which I have not read. 20 of Indiana's most dominant basketball players.

I do know that Glenn Robinson, from Gary, Is featured in the book.  Robinson went on to win several IHSAA tournament rounds, including winning a state championship, and was named an Indiana Mr. Basketball.

Really think the list you started will expand as more members come to read it.  Another name that popped up immediately was Mike Conley.  And as I type this, Greg Oden comes to mind as well. 

And after re-reading your parameters, I will have to take Oden off the list, due to his injured Pro history.  Robinson stays on... having scored over 1000 points at Purdue, and spending a decade in the NBA. 

Hallie Bryant was as good as a GUARD from Crispus ATTUCKS [ when Crispus Attucks was very RELEVANT] that ever played INDIANA High School basketball !! Bryant held the Indiana University record for CONSECUTIVE MADE FIELD GOALS !! I do not know if that is still an IU RECORD or not , BUT HALLIE was AWESOME BABY [ to guote dukie vitale, VBG ] AT any rate , it is an almost an IMPOSSIBLE TASK to pick the FIVE BEST as there have been so many !!

P.S. I'm Really old , so I remember many more Indina H.S players ! What about Steve Alford or another New Castle guard named Ray Pavy ?? Pavy was paralyzed in a car wreck the summer before he was going to enroll and play for The Hoosiers ( SO IU FANS DID NOT GET TO SEE HIM PLAY FOR THE HOOSIERS )    I find it hard to think that Macy & Skiles were better than even [ a hate to use another pee yew recruit ,vbg] RICK MOUNT !! The best thing about Scott Skiles though is when I was at the game when Skiles went off for FORTY POINTS (FOR MICHIGAN STATE) AND BEAT THOSE pee yew smellermakers ON THEIR OWN FLOOR , VBG !!!!!! 

I would put Mike Woodson or Alan Henderson right up there with either Macy  or Skiles. 

I agree with Mile that Glen Robinson should be on the list. 

Rick Mount's pro career did not last as long, and was mostly in the ABA, but his numbers were pretty impressive. His high school and college careers match well with just about anyone mentioned in this thread.

41 minutes ago, rico said:

Kind of surprised at you Mile.  I would put Junior Bridgeman ahead of Robinson.  

Ah yes. Completely forgot about Junior. Head slap to me.  That was one hell of an East Chicago team that won the state basketball championship, back in 1971, by going undefeated that year.  Junior went on to the University of Louisville, before spending a dozen years in the NBA.  Two other teammates, Pete Trgovich went to UCLA. and Tom Staddard at North Carolina State were standouts in their own rights.  Stoddard, then became a force in Major League Baseball for years. 

Trgovich coached the Redhawks basketball team of Indiana University Northwest in Gary for three years around 2010, I believe. 

I'm an admitted homer, but I think a good argument could be made to have Calbert Cheaney on the list.  His HS career was hampered by injuries, but his college career was spectacular, only missing the National Championship (Thanks Ted Valentine).  He also played 13 years in the NBA.  13 years is a long time in that business. 

3 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I'm an admitted homer, but I think a good argument could be made to have Calbert Cheaney on the list.  His HS career was hampered by injuries, but his college career was spectacular, only missing the National Championship (Thanks Ted Valentine).  He also played 13 years in the NBA.  13 years is a long time in that business. 

When reading rico''s list, Calbert immediately came to mind.

5 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Ya got to think about the criteria that was set forth.  

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Ah yes. Completely forgot about Junior. Head slap to me.  That was one hell of an East Chicago team that won the state basketball championship, back in 1971, by going undefeated that year.  Junior went on to the University of Louisville, before spending a dozen years in the NBA.  Two other teammates, Pete Trgovich went to UCLA. and Tom Staddard at North Carolina State were standouts in their own rights.  Stoddard, then became a force in Major League Baseball for years. 

Trgovich coached the Redhawks basketball team of Indiana University Northwest in Gary for three years around 2010, I believe. 

That was Tim Stoddard!  Which brings up another name.  Stoddard went to NC State and happened to be on the same team as Monte Towe.

Great topic.  Others under consideration:   Clyde Lovellette.  Slick Leonard.  Eric Montross.   Louie Dampier.  Jon McGlocklin,  Terry Dischinger.  Zach Randolph only did one year in college.  Shawn Kemp was a wacko and didn’t play in college but he was an overwhelming talent.  

Lovellette in particular was a basketball hall of famer, college hoops hall of famer, won titles in college, NBA, and the Olympics. He’s on the short list of guys that ever did that.  I’m probably installing him as a starter.  

If you could somehow put a time machine together where you’d have a tourney with the best players from each state, I’d like Indiana’s chances, even without a per capital qualifier.  

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Great topic.  Others under consideration:   Clyde Lovellette.  Slick Leonard.  Eric Montross.   Louie Dampier.  Jon McGlocklin,  Terry Dischinger.  Zach Randolph only did one year in college.  Shawn Kemp was a wacko and didn’t play in college but he was an overwhelming talent.  

Lovellette in particular was a basketball hall of famer, college hoops hall of famer, won titles in college, NBA, and the Olympics. He’s on the short list of guys that ever did that.  I’m probably installing him as a starter.  

If you could somehow put a time machine together where you’d have a tourney with the best players from each state, I’d like Indiana’s chances, even without a per capital qualifier.  

Damn, I forgot about Clyde.  And I even met the guy!!!!!

As the world turns.  Mention has been made of both Calbert Cheaney and Monte Towe.  I got to see them play as professionals as Denver Nuggets.

And then there is Bobby "Slick" Leonard.  Actually recall listening to games on the radio as a youngster when he played for Gerstmeyer.  And of course, hitting the free throws that gave IU the 1953 National Championship.

I agree with you, Bob Sacco.....  a great topic.  Thanks Rico for starting it !

1 hour ago, Mac said:

Just for fun I'll throw in two with good high school and college careers, mediocre (at best) in the pros: John Wooden and Jimmy Rayl.

I have posted this before. Watched "The Splendid Splinter" set the all time game high record of 56 points on tv.... both times.  And was upset with Coach McCracken, the second time when Jimmy hit 55, and took him out for good with something like four minutes remaining, preventing Rayl from breaking his own record. 

Jimmy Rayl talks 56-point game for Indiana basketball

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I have posted this before. Watched "The Splendid Splinter" set the all time game high record of 56 points on tv.... both times.  And was upset with Coach McCracken, the second time when Jimmy hit 56, and took him out for good with something like four minutes remaining, preventing Rayl from breaking his own record. 

25 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I have posted this before. Watched "The Splendid Splinter" set the all time game high record of 56 points on tv.... both times.  And was upset with Coach McCracken, the second time when Jimmy hit 55, and took him out for good with something like four minutes remaining, preventing Rayl from breaking his own record. 

The thing about Rayl is his pro career was short lived and not very fruitful.

1 hour ago, rico said:

The thing about Rayl is his pro career was short lived and not very fruitful.

That's true.  However, in terms of high school and especially college..... "The Splinter" remains high in my mind. 

Some one mentioned Rick Mount.  He was pretty good, though a Boiler. 

Archived