Ohio State Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

7 minutes ago, Hoosier83 said:

I agree. I haven’t watched OSU at all this year but according some posters this is a favorable matchup 

Can't let Washington get going and not give Aherns any space to shoot the 3.  Liddell is their best player who at 6'6 PF will be hard to check.  He has a lot of great post moves us can hit the 3.  There most important.player is Young who is a glue gut who works his butt off to get every rebound

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Only reason for confidence is size and maybe Al goes on a senior year tear.  

Other than that, don't see the consistency to feel confident in beating a really solid team.  

Have faith that the stars have aligned and captured lightning in a bottle.

4 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I’m sensing a let down. Be down early, cut it to 10-12 at half.  Play decent in second half, but still lose by 10 or so.  

On the other hand, if they win, I wouldn’t be surprised.  Ha. 

Seems like you are lacking confidence as well. Hope you don't have the dribbling Phinisees.

I dont have any big expectations that we'll win this game, but if Archie is going to be "the guy", then at some point he's got to go on a season-turning run that catapults the program, and this seems like a good game to get that going. 

Getting a 3rd win in a row, two against ranked teams, says something to the rest of the conference and sets IU up for a strong end to the season. 

Again, I'm not expecting it, but at some point if this is going to work long-term it needs to happen. 

It not only gets some of the down fans back on Archie's side, but it then gives real hope heading into next year. 

Looking a little deeper, I think Ahrens is going to be the key guy to shut down...

In their 4 conference losses, he's 5-17 from 3 (29%)...In their 10 wins, he's 28-56 (50%)...

He's not a dribble-drive threat...he has only 3 attempted 2 point FGs (made 2 of them) the whole year...That's right...3 attempts from 2 the whole year...We need someone to stick to him like glue...

I think it's be...

TJD-Lidell

Race-Young

Rob-Washington

Armaan-Sueing

Al-Ahrens

I think Al can handle a guy who sits on the 3 point line and doesn't try to take him to the hoop...Ahrens is 6'6 but I think Al can do the job...

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I dont have any big expectations that we'll win this game, but if Archie is going to be "the guy", then at some point he's got to go on a season-turning run that catapults the program, and this seems like a good game to get that going. 

Getting a 3rd win in a row, two against ranked teams, says something to the rest of the conference and sets IU up for a strong end to the season. 

Again, I'm not expecting it, but at some point if this is going to work long-term it needs to happen. 

It not only gets some of the down fans back on Archie's side, but it then gives real hope heading into next year. 

Something tells me that our light switch has been flipped on.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Something tells me that our light switch has been flipped on.

I hope.  If they come out, play hard for 40 mins like ILL, Wisky, FSU, etc .... and lose.  Fine.  

If they come out gutless ... we’ve seen that before.   

Hopefully the switch is on.  Also - Archie keeps talking about slow starts.  If that happens, I wonder if Lander will get in the game earlier than normal?  Also - with a size advantage inside, hopefully TJD keeps the team rolling the first 10 mins and carries them the whole game.    

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Incredible opportunity! Then IU comes back home with 2 very winnable home games. 

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Looking a little deeper, I think Ahrens is going to be the key guy to shut down...

In their 4 conference losses, he's 5-17 from 3 (29%)...In their 10 wins, he's 28-56 (50%)...

He's not a dribble-drive threat...he has only 3 attempted 2 point FGs (made 2 of them) the whole year...That's right...3 attempts from 2 the whole year...We need someone to stick to him like glue...

I think it's be...

TJD-Lidell

Race-Young

Rob-Washington

Armaan-Sueing

Al-Ahrens

I think Al can handle a guy who sits on the 3 point line and doesn't try to take him to the hoop...Ahrens is 6'6 but I think Al can do the job...

Finding him in Transition is the big key. IU gotta have less than 10 turnovers to have a chance. 

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Besides maybe Texas (and I think we were simply physically overmatched there, and knew it), in what games have you seen them be "gutless" this year?

Rutgers, Purdue, and NW - arguably twice.  I know the other teams have something to do with it too, but when they go to war, I just wanna see all the boys firing and hungry.   

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

Rutgers, Purdue, and NW - arguably twice.  I know the other teams have something to do with it too, but when they go to war, I just wanna see all the boys firing and hungry.   

A "gutless" team would have never come back to beat Northwestern the other night...

In the first Northwestern game, we were down 11 at the half, yet it was a one possession game with 28 seconds left. And that was in the face of a kid (Audige) going 5-5 down the stretch with Armaan all over him.

Against Rutgers, we were down 10 with 15 minutes to go. With 43 seconds left it was a one possession game. 

Against Purdue, a team that shoots the 3 at 34% for the year, shot it at 65% against us. We kept trying to come back. A "gutless" team would have thrown in the towel.

So, maybe it's the word "gutless" I have an issue with. If you tell me I need to give a better effort, that's one thing. If you call me "gutless" we have a whole different issue. You're basically calling them cowards. And this team is anything but that...

I'm not the word police, and you can say what you want, but I think characterizing this team as "gutless" is BS...

Just now, IUFLA said:

A "gutless" team would have never come back to beat Northwestern the other night...

In the first Northwestern game, we were down 11 at the half, yet it was a one possession game with 28 seconds left. And that was in the face of a kid (Audige) going 5-5 down the stretch with Armaan all over him.

Against Rutgers, we were down 10 with 15 minutes to go. With 43 seconds left it was a one possession game. 

Against Purdue, a team that shoots the 3 at 34% for the year, shot it at 65% against us. We kept trying to come back. A "gutless" team would have thrown in the towel.

So, maybe it's the word "gutless" I have an issue with. If you tell me I need to give a better effort, that's one thing. If you call me "gutless" we have a whole different issue. You're basically calling them cowards. And this team is anything but that...

I'm not the word police, and you can say what you want, but I think characterizing this team as "gutless" is BS...

Too many people incorrectly associate effort with making shots. I did not see a moment in the Northwestern game where there wasn’t effort. Sometimes it’s misguided, and sometimes shots don’t fall. But the team is always trying. 

33 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I hope.  If they come out, play hard for 40 mins like ILL, Wisky, FSU, etc .... and lose.  Fine.  

If they come out gutless ... we’ve seen that before.   

Hopefully the switch is on.  Also - Archie keeps talking about slow starts.  If that happens, I wonder if Lander will get in the game earlier than normal?  Also - with a size advantage inside, hopefully TJD keeps the team rolling the first 10 mins and carries them the whole game.    

Regarding the slow starts, that has become routine for this team. We were down 13 vs Iowa and 14 vs NW. Avoiding the slow starts and scoring droughts pushes this team into the upper echelon.

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You completely misread my post or simply aren’t understanding.   I’m not talking about mailing it in for the entire game - I’m referencing slow starts and coming out gutless for the first 5-10 minutes.  Basically digging themselves a hole and making things hard on themselves.   

Believe you me, I love Archie. I love these kids.  I love this team.  Everything about them.   I’m by no means calling them cowards.  

I’m simply talking about them coming out, being the aggressor, and dictating the game from the tip - not 10 mins into the game.   Hopefully that clarifies it. 

13 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Too many people incorrectly associate effort with making shots. I did not see a moment in the Northwestern game where there wasn’t effort. Sometimes it’s misguided, and sometimes shots don’t fall. But the team is always trying. 

Agree about missing shots and effort. I get that.   But in some of the games where IU was in a hole early, there were lazy passes , bad fouls, etc. basically a lot of mental errors and lack of concentration.   

they always seem to turn it around, but I want to see that from the tip for a full 40 mins.  

Just now, Bustout said:

You completely misread my post or simply aren’t understanding.   I’m not talking about mailing it in for the entire game - I’m referencing slow starts and coming out gutless for the first 5-10 minutes.  Basically digging themselves a hole and making things hard on themselves.   

Believe you me, I love Archie. I love these kids.  I love this team.  Everything about them.   I’m by no means calling them cowards.  

I’m simply talking about them coming out, being the aggressor, and dictating the game from the tip - not 10 mins into the game.   Hopefully that clarifies it. 

Well, like @Hippopotamo said, there's a difference in not making shots and lack of effort. Go back to the NW play by play and see how many times you see "missed layup" on the IU ledger in the first 10-15 minutes. We had good looks, they just didn't fall.

And like I said, I just didn't care for the "gutless" framing. Beyond that, it's all good...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Well, like @Hippopotamo said, there's a difference in not making shots and lack of effort. Go back to the NW play by play and see how many times you see "missed layup" on the IU ledger in the first 10-15 minutes. We had good looks, they just didn't fall.

And like I said, I just didn't care for the "gutless" framing. Beyond that, it's all good...

Yea. I addressed the missing shots vs effort.  I get that.  And that’s why I put “arguably” after NW twice.  

Their effort in the first 10 mins vs Rutgers, NW (especially game 1) and Purdue was a lot different in my mind than vs FSU, ILL twice and Wisky.  

I want the effort and guts from the latter and not the former.   You can call it whatever you desire, but heartless, lackadaisical, gutless are all interchangeable to me - and I saw those type efforts in the first 10 mins in some games opposed to FSU, ILL, Wisky.  

13 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Just call Fish ask him how we are in warm-ups and that will tell the story. He talks about it all the time. Also about 10 years ago there was a study done by people doing college and high school games and they tracked which team went harder in warm up. Not scientific for sure very subjective but in almost 70 % of those games that team won. 

12 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Yea. I addressed the missing shots vs effort.  I get that.  And that’s why I put “arguably” after NW twice.  

Their effort in the first 10 mins vs Rutgers, NW (especially game 1) and Purdue was a lot different in my mind than vs FSU, ILL twice and Wisky.  

I want the effort and guts from the latter and not the former.   You can call it whatever you desire, but heartless, lackadaisical, gutless are all interchangeable to me - and I saw those type efforts in the first 10 mins in some games opposed to FSU, ILL, Wisky.  

I'll just say this and then I'll drop it...

We're 4th in the B1G in defensive rating. 12th in offense. Yet we're 6-6 in the toughest conference there is...And it's mainly because of defense...You can put all the effort you want in offense, but sometimes the shots just don't fall...

Defense, I've always been told, is always effort based, so as I said, not buying the "lack of effort."

Archived