2021 MLB Season

5fouls

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Would the Cubs fortunes be different if Maddon were still manager?

In my opinion, no. The core group seemed to be struggling some under him as well. Some of the holes on this team has never been truly addressed by upper management...they've always been a sort of "feast or famine" offense without a true leadoff hitter. The pitching as a whole, exceeded expectations the first couple months of the season, but have regressed back to what most expected.

Overall, I like Joe, but he did some head scratching things at times...especially in the post season.  I think he is a great manager to take over a team and use his quirkiness to get the most out of them for a few years, but then it kind of runs its course and starts to lose effectiveness.

7 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

The Cubs are who we thought they were in preseason.

I agree with most of what you posted, except if you can sign Baez to long term deal for decent $ I would sign keep him (and Contreras) in the long term plans. You can always extend Contreras and trade him down the line or move him to outfield if one of the catching prospects develops into legit starting catching material.

We've already discussed this at great lengths the past few years, but they should have traded Bryant a long time ago for a haul...now I don't have the confidence that the front office will get much back in return...but they have to try. Otherwise, he most likely walks for nothing after the season with Borass representing him.

And I never understood why the front office always seemed to have so much confidence in Happ. He showed flashes, but also looked terrible for long stretches. Maybe they can trade him for plane fare out of town?

Heyward, Happ, Almora....the list goes on of guys that would have been gone long time ago. Good post. We've rehashed so often and agree with everything you say here as well. I'd be ok with Baez...but that has to be a friendly number. 

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Would the Cubs fortunes be different if Maddon were still manager?

Probably....but you still can't cover up players reluctance to change their approach in the box. They had so much success at an early age....they know better than anyone. 

I'm a Maddon guy so I say we would because I don't think Castellanos ever leaves if Maddon was still around....and he certainly would never allow Darvish to be traded on his watch....but that's also an ownership issue not a managerial one. 

36 minutes ago, rico said:

7 inning no-hitters don't count.

Irrelevant to my point.  I can't help it if MLB is stupid.  The Indians have lost 3 games this season where they have been held without a hit.  

That has to be close to a record.  

Edited by 5fouls

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Irrelevant to my point.  I can't help it if MLB is stupid.  The Indians have lost 3 games this season where they have been held without a hit.  

I thought the record for being no, er, not getting any hits in a game, was 2...

Yes it is...

"Note that only three teams have been no-hit this season: Mariners, Rangers, and Cleveland, twice each No team has ever been no-hit three times in one season."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

It appears that the rule came in 1991?  For whatever reason?

Big series for the Reds.

Top of first Reds got the bases loaded and no outs bit did not score

Mahle had to be the most pitcher to watch because he always gets ahead in the count 0-2 but can't put the batter away quickly.  The first two batters he got ahead 0-2 and walked the first and then hit the second batter.

Reds lose 5-3 to the Brewers after leading 3-2 going to the 7th.  The next 6 games will tells us of they will compete for the Central or the Brewers will run away with it. Beging by 7 games right now do the Refs have to at least win 4 of the next 6 against the Brewers.

It just amazes me that the Brewers can be so far ahead when they are the worst hitting team in the league.  The Reds had the second best offense in the NL but the Brewers is running away with the Central.  The difference is pitching especially the bullpen.  The Refs bullpen had given up 52 more runs than the Brewers has.  The Brewers team era is 3.44 and the Reds is 4.49 do there is the difference.

The Reds lost this game in the first 3 innings.  Each of those innings the Refs got the first 2 batters on but never scored.  They left the bases loaded twice and also hit into a DP with two on.

The Reds bullpen us back to their old self since they blew two of the lady 3 games.