2021 MLB Season

5fouls

1 hour ago, rico said:

Better brace yourself for it.  

Guess I just have to get used to watching the game of feast or famine with little to no strategy...

Or I can walk down the street to the Little League fields near my house and watch real baseball 😉

Saw some interesting stats this morning on Sportscenter. Since 1900 98 pitchers have hit a grand slam. Since 1900 143 times a team has come back from 8-0 to win. Last night was the first time ever that those 2 things happened in the same game. How cool is that 1st career hit a GS off of Max Scherzer

https://www.mlb.com/news/daniel-camarena-grand-slam-off-max-scherzer

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Saw some interesting stats this morning on Sportscenter. Since 1900 98 pitchers have hit a grand slam. Since 1900 143 times a team has come back from 8-0 to win. Last night was the first time ever that those 2 things happened in the same game. How cool is that 1st career hit a GS off of Max Scherzer

https://www.mlb.com/news/daniel-camarena-grand-slam-off-max-scherzer

Take that, DH lovers!

😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Guess I just have to get used to watching the game of feast or famine with little to no strategy...

Or I can walk down the street to the Little League fields near my house and watch real baseball 😉

Do you want to see Peyton Manning play offensive line? I don't watch a baseball game to see a pitcher hit. I can understand why baseball started with Ps hitting, but my goodness National League, adapt. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Do you want to see Peyton Manning play offensive line? I don't watch a baseball game to see a pitcher hit. I can understand why baseball started with Ps hitting, but my goodness National League, adapt. 

I don't know...might have been fun to see Manning get pancaked by Warren Sapp 😁

I've always admired the strategy of baseball...bunt, hit and run, base stealing, pitching and lineup shuffling...

In today's game that's all gone...today's game with the strikeout-home run mentality and the manager's in game moves stifled by the DH, I find boring...

Just my honest opinion...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know...might have been fun to see Manning get pancaked by Warren Sapp 😁

I've always admired the strategy of baseball...bunt, hit and run, base stealing, pitching and lineup shuffling...

In today's game that's all gone...today's game with the strikeout-home run mentality and the manager's in game moves stifled by the DH, I find boring...

Just my honest opinion...

Strike out/home run doesn't have anything to do with the DH though. I want more runs, and I don't like seeing an athlete do something they aren't pay to do. 

I love small ball, as well. You need to watch college if what you're saying is true. It trumps the pro game a lot in a few the areas you have mentioned. 

Edited by btownqb

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Strike out/home run doesn't have anything to do with the DH though

I didn't say it did...I said between the strikeout-HR mentality and the DH hobbling the moves a manager can make, it takes a lot of the part of the game I love away...

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I want more runs, and I don't like seeing an athlete do something they aren't pay to do. 

Historically, the DH accounts for less than 1 run per game...in 2016 the AL scored 4.82 runs per game, the NL 4.44...The tradeoff in taking the strategic part of manipulating a lineup and pitching staff aren't worth that to me...

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I love small ball, as well. You need to watch college if what you're saying is true. It trumps the pro game a lot in a few the areas you have mentioned

I do watch some college ball, but I wish they'd ditch the aluminium bats...beyond the faux power it provides, it's gonna get a pitcher killed some day...

And I do wander down to the local ball field and watch the kids play...I'd go more, but the parents get on my nerves 😉

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I didn't say it did...I said between the strikeout-HR mentality and the DH hobbling the moves a manager can make, it takes a lot of the part of the game I love away...

Historically, the DH accounts for less than 1 run per game...in 2016 the AL scored 4.82 runs per game, the NL 4.44...The tradeoff in taking the strategic part of manipulating a lineup and pitching staff aren't worth that to me...

I do watch some college ball, but I wish they'd ditch the aluminium bats...beyond the faux power it provides, it's gonna get a pitcher killed some day...

And I do wander down to the local ball field and watch the kids play...I'd go more, but the parents get on my nerves 😉

The teams play smaller though. Or a higher % of teams play smaller. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

Not a DH fan myself, but MLB has already opened "Pandora's Box".  Tough to stick the genie back in the bottle.  I have accepted that it is inevitable coming to the NL.  Selfishly, this I what Votto(the Reds) need.

One of the "selling points" when the DH was implemented in 73 was that it would keep the older stars, like Mays and Aaron, around longer...

Anyone that saw Willie Mays in a Mets uniform would tell you he probably needed to go to the AL like Aaron did and just hit...

Edited by IUFLA

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

One of the "selling points" when the DH was implemented in 73 was that it would keep the older stars, like Mays and Aaron, around longer...

Anyone that saw Willie Mays in a Mets uniform would tell you he probably needed to go to the AL like Aaron did and just hit...

Well there you have it...make the rule so a DH has to be 35 or older....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yadi is an All-Star for the 10th time! 

Yadi Has an OPS of .722

Notable NL catchers with a higher OPS

• Yan Gomes
  • Wilson Contrares
  • Tucker Barnhart
  • Will Smith
  • JT Realmuto
  • Omar Navarez
  • Buster Posey

Can we say.....Injury replacement popularity pick?