Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

22 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

There was a rumor of teams reaching out to people around a notable player at IU. That said it wasn’t the player being talked about on BTB and it definitely didn’t involve Purdue. Purdue only has one open scholarship for next year right now and they’re being very selective with a large class already coming in. 

Reneau

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

There was a rumor of teams reaching out to people around a notable player at IU. That said it wasn’t the player being talked about on BTB and it definitely didn’t involve Purdue. Purdue only has one open scholarship for next year right now and they’re being very selective with a large class already coming in. 

Maybe it’s just me but whether your Banks/Gunn or Reneau/Mac, it doesn’t surprise me to hear other teams reaching out to gauge interests mid season. 

Feels like nowadays the standard isn’t about being the first to talk to a guy once he enters the portal, it’s now about getting them to verbally commit to you before they even formally enter. 

Just feels different currently because the season has been so bad and we have little to no confidence our key guys will stick around. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

If Woodson comes back, I hope we win like 5 games next season. I want them all humiliated for this incompetence.

WOW!!! ANYONE THAT LOVES IU!!! WOULD EVER WISH A COACH FIRED!!!!!!! LET ALONE WIN5 GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!👺

• Like 3

I try to stay away from posting much! BUT WHEN IU HAS PEOPLE WISHING IU WINS 5!!!! GAMES! PISS ME OFF!! IF OUR COACH MIKE WOODSON CAN'T RIGHT THE SHIP THEN IT WILL !!!! PROCEED AS IS!! I HOPE IU!!! COACH WOODSON LEADS US TOO ANOTHER BANNER!! ANYONE WHO WANT'S IU TO WIN 5 GAMES IS NOT A FAN OF OLD IU!!! DRUNK AND RANTING!!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Would be very surprised if MP poached a player off a big ten team 

There used to be gentleman’s agreement not to poach committed recruits 

12 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

Maybe it’s just me but whether your Banks/Gunn or Reneau/Mac, it doesn’t surprise me to hear other teams reaching out to gauge interests mid season. 

Feels like nowadays the standard isn’t about being the first to talk to a guy once he enters the portal, it’s now about getting them to verbally commit to you before they even formally enter. 

Just feels different currently because the season has been so bad and we have little to no confidence our key guys will stick around. 

People don’t have to gauge things with Banks and Gunn. They’re almost certainly leaving. Reneau is who was being reached out to but I don’t think things went too far. It’s sounding like MM could be back. I still believe Galloway is back as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

People don’t have to gauge things with Banks and Gunn. They’re almost certainly leaving. Reneau is who was being reached out to but I don’t think things went too far. It’s sounding like MM could be back. I still believe Galloway is back as well. 

I'm still of the belief that with our NIL and clear need of guard minutes, this ship could be righted very quickly.  Galloway is a very good ball player.  Put scorers around him, doesn't matter 5th man or 6th man, same difference.  MM will grow up.  Reneau will contender for player of the year.  McNeeley can ball.  Can do it all.  Just don't try and force him at the 2, MM at the 3, and Reneau at the 4.  Grab some speed, some scoring, and some shooting.  Get back to preaching defense and rebounding.  Be about toughness and business, not instagram and Twitter takes.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The only way MM being back matters is if Mike moves him to the 4 and he accepts that role.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The only way MM being back matters is if Mike moves him to the 4 and he accepts that role.

While I agree, he's also going to have to be coached to do something other than stand and watch his man collect offensive rebounds.

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, as much as I think IU needs a change, if things fall right this is also really fixable. If Woodson can convince the right guys to come back and he has a pretty solid track record of getting guys to return/not transfer. But, he's going to have to change how he recruits and the style of play. 

McNeely, while obviously a great shooter, is more athletic and explosive than MM. Get McNeely at the 3, MM at the 4 and Reneau at the 5. Galloway back. Then go hit the transfer portal hard for veteran guards and wings that are smart, tough and can create and/or make shots. 

Problem is, it could just as easily go other way where we lose almost all of those guys and it's basically a rebuild. 

I have mixed feelings on that potential lineup. I agree that those guys could form an elite offensive unit, with the right PG. And Trey at the 2 works fine if he's surrounded by plus shooters.

But defensively and on the glass, that unit will get lit up unless there are significant jumps from Reneau and Mgbako on that end. At least it would be more enjoyable to watch than this year's brand of basketball.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That’s actually not true. MM projects to be really good next year regardless of if he is at the 3 or 4. He’s one of the best FR in the B1G. That said the team would likely be better if he’s at the 4. The problem with that is Reneau. Not MM. Reneau wants to be the 4 last I heard. 

• Like 3

That’s actually not true. MM projects to be really good next year regardless of if he is at the 3 or 4. He’s one of the best FR in the B1G. That said the team would likely be better if he’s at the 4. The problem with that is Reneau. Not MM. Reneau wants to be the 4 last I heard. 

I'm fine with Reneau being a 4 if he trims his fat the same percentage drop he did last season and he starts guarding at an elite level.  

He should be modeling his game and body to at least look like college Blake Griffin.  He has the build.  Obviously not the hops but man, if he gets that fat completely off and takes one more big jump.  He's a legit POY contender.  Does he realize that?

Let's say Reneau gets 32, almost all at the 4.  Maybe 5 as the 5.  Bako gets 13 minutes as the 4 and another 19 at the 3.  McNeeley gets 21 at 3 and 9 as a 2.  It can work.  Problem being, who plays the 5 the other 35 minutes.   Can't be Sparks as is.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm fine with Reneau being a 4 if he trims his fat the same percentage drop he did last season and he starts guarding at an elite level.  

He should be modeling his game and body to at least look like college Blake Griffin.  He has the build.  Obviously not the hops but man, if he gets that fat completely off and takes one more big jump.  He's a legit POY contender.  Does he realize that?

Let's say Reneau gets 32, almost all at the 4.  Maybe 5 as the 5.  Bako gets 13 minutes as the 4 and another 19 at the 3.  McNeeley gets 21 at 3 and 9 as a 2.  It can work.  Problem being, who plays the 5 the other 35 minutes.   Can't be Sparks as is.  

IU will be adding another big whether it’s Queen or a transfer. There will be several new additions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Offensively, yes he has shown a lot of promise. Defensively he is still a mess (though less so than at the start of the year). His lack of awareness and lateral quickness kill him guarding wings, but he has the size and frame to be competent guarding college 4s. 

I look at Mgbako and see Christian Watford. I hope Woodson does too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Offensively, yes he has shown a lot of promise. Defensively he is still a mess (though less so than at the start of the year). His lack of awareness and lateral quickness kill him guarding wings, but he has the size and frame to be competent guarding college 4s. 

I look at Mgbako and see Christian Watford. I hope Woodson does too.

That’s a good comparison. 

• Like 1