Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

All I am saying is that if you see a consistent problem over the years, you look at what some of the constance are in the program. It isn't really saying he is bad at his job but just make a change to make changes. If things aren't working then you look at everything and you change things up to see if it makes things better. If it is strength coaches or assistants or the team of doctors or trainers. Over these years we have had constant injuries and it is time to see if their is a problem.

Just now, IU Scott said:

All I am saying is that if you see a consistent problem over the years, you look at what some of the constance are in the program. It isn't really saying he is bad at his job but just make a change to make changes. If things aren't working then you look at everything and you change things up to see if it makes things better. If it is strength coaches or assistants or the team of doctors or trainers. Over these years we have had constant injuries and it is time to see if their is a problem.

The consistent problem is a lack of recruiting true shooters. Prior to McNeeley IU hasn't landed a guy that was a true shooter with a legitimate track record as a shooter since Kopp. Prior to him it was all the way back to when Crean was the Coach. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

The consistent problem is a lack of recruiting true shooters. Prior to McNeeley IU hasn't landed a guy that was a true shooter with a legitimate track record as a shooter since Kopp. Prior to him it was all the way back to when Crean was the Coach. 

I saw Gunn plenty of times in high school and he was a really good shooter.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I saw Gunn plenty of times in high school and he was a really good shooter.

He was streaky and was more of an athlete in HS than a knock down shooter. He was also a volume shooter and he's not that at IU. IU has landed more guys that projected as shooters rather than actual shooters. 

• Like 1

One thing to consider, and I don't generally like making personnel decisions as a result of what others are doing, but there is a world where we are surrounded by:

Painter at PU

Billy Donovan at UL

Chris Beard at UM

Nate Oates at OSU

Brad Underwood at UI

Calipari at UK

Izzo at MSU

That would be a tough situation to walk into for a guy like Dusty May in March/April 2025. Again, not saying we need to be reactive to other openings and who they may hire, but I don't think it should be ignored.

As someone wisely pointed out when we hired Woody, he is our version of Juwan Howard and Thad Matta was his Martelli. Let's not follow the folly of Michigan and wait to long to act. 

• Like 7

I wonder if Coach Woodson has over emphasized to players the implications of missing a 3 pt. shot as opposed to the two. I know he has said, if you're gonna shoot 'em, you gotta make 'em. Sometimes I feel they are overthinking and not comfortable shooting a 3 in fear of Coach Woodson. JMO. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So is dong the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, the definition not insanity 

That definition only applies when you have evidence that the input you want to change has a connection to the result you want to change.

Edited by IUJoe
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

One thing to consider, and I don't generally like making personnel decisions as a result of what others are doing, but there is a world where we are surrounded by:

Painter at PU

Billy Donovan at UL

Chris Beard at UM

Nate Oates at OSU

Brad Underwood at UI

Calipari at UK

Izzo at MSU

That would be a tough situation to walk into for a guy like Dusty May in March/April 2025. Again, not saying we need to be reactive to other openings and who they may hire, but I don't think it should be ignored.

As someone wisely pointed out when we hired Woody, he is our version of Juwan Howard and Thad Matta was his Martelli. Let's not follow the folly of Michigan and wait to long to act. 

The parlay odds on that would be like 1 in 2 trillion chance.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

DC any pre-portal rumblings? 6-7 is quite a few spots to fill...

Names that I’ve heard mentioned as guys IU could or will pursue if they enter the portal include Thornton, Pope from Oregon State, and Blackmon.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Painter at PU

Billy Donovan at UL

Chris Beard at UM

Nate Oates at OSU

Brad Underwood at UI

Calipari at UK

Izzo at MSU

Donovan isn’t coming back to college 

53 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Cupps 

Newton

Galloway

MM

Reneau

McNeeley

Sparks

5 to 6 transfers

Newton is a big X factor... Watched a few of his high school games, and the kid has a monster motor... Not a really good shooter from what I saw, but he'll attack the basket and defend as well as anyone we have now... 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Newton is a big X factor... Watched a few of his high school games, and the kid has a monster motor... Not a really good shooter from what I saw, but he'll attack the basket and defend as well as anyone we have now... 

I agree. That said IU needs to plan on him being a non contributor. Then if he does that’s a bonus.

• Like 7

There is a possibility that Reneau decides to leave if he gets a MASSIVE NIL offer from somewhere else. I don’t believe that will happen but you never know. If that happens then missing on Queen will become a massive issue. I’d put this at a 15-20% chance at this point. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Man I really hope so.  The odds are tremendously stacked against him.  I can't remember if it was posted here but i read an article about that injury.  Evidently you have to push through severe pain in rehab for iirc over a year up to 2 years.  And most guys can't.   I think with more and more research and techniques of mind and body training, things such as daily ice baths, this meditation stuff, pain management,  I do have hope.  Now to expect him to contribute next year, even if all that has fallen into place.  No.  He's like the 13th scholarship of expectations.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Man I really hope so.  The odds are tremendously stacked against him.  I can't remember if it was posted here but i read an article about that injury.  Evidently you have to push through severe pain in rehab for iirc over a year up to 2 years.  And most guys can't.   I think with more and more research and techniques of mind and body training, things such as daily ice baths, this meditation stuff, pain management,  I do have hope.  Now to expect him to contribute next year, even if all that has fallen into place.  No.  He's like the 13th scholarship of expectations.  

I was looking for that article a few weeks ago. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Newton ever wearing an IU uniform. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Painter at PU

Billy Donovan at UL

Chris Beard at UM

Nate Oates at OSU

Brad Underwood at UI

Calipari at UK

Izzo at MSU

I'd probably just throw in the towel on IU basketball if all of these happened and we kept Woodson. 

• Like 2