Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't really buy into these rumors, but with that said I think Bruce Pearl is probably gettable and would be a home run hire, though don't love his age. 

The hard part of all of this, and I'm not trying to start a debate on this, but I also think Chris Beard could maybe be gettable, and I think he'd be a grand slam hire. The problem of course is his recent legal troubles. 

It just stinks because I think Beard would check most every other box. He's even better than Pearl and younger. Also brings some of the Bob Knight connection, etc.  

If he didn't have the legal issues, he'd be a grand slam hire. 

Yeah, beard’s coaching abilities aren’t the question. But if it weren’t for the legal troubles, he wouldn’t be available. So kind of a catch 22.

If we do end up in a coaching search, I’ll be interested to see who the candidates are. Pearl’s age would be the biggest downside, but he feels like as close as a sure thing as you can get compared to other realistic options. I know a lot of people like Dusty because of the IU connection and what he did last year at FAU, but that feels like a risky hire, granted with huge upside if it works.

Hiring Pearl feels like what the Woodson hire should have been. Bring in a guy who you’re confident will succeed in the short term, even if they’re not the long term solution due to age. Then the next time around you’d have the prestige, money, fan support, and now recent success to attract a good long term option.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Dolson has a plan. We just need to be patient because there won’t be real news coming out daily over the next couple weeks and there will be plenty of rumors.

Comforting to know and thanks for your info. Setting aside who the next coach might be, what percentage would you put on Woodson being here next year? 

44 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Not trying to be that guy but since the discussion about firing Mike Woodson involves speculation about potential coaching candidates I can't help wondering why Bruce Pearl would want to leave the SEC? The SEC is either number 1 or 2 for the most current NBA players. The SEC overall plays a style of basketball that is decent to watch unlike the BIG Ten which is simply put "straight garbage." I say that while I continue watching BIG 10 basketball because that's what I'll do until I die.

Would you rather watch the top 2 teams in the Big 10 play or the top two in the SEC? One game would involve watching a 7'4" player hack everyone death, a free throw disparity of 4 to 1  and Brad Underwood pulling a choke job in the last 8 minutes. While the other would involve modern day basketball both offensively and defensively.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall a decent coach leaving the ACC, BIG 12 and or SEC for the Big Ten in the last two decades. Maybe there was 1 but I think that proves my point. If some says Brad Underwood may god have mercy on your soul.

Lastly, the Big Ten is not place where NBA talent guards and the best NCAA coaches want to go. If we fire Mike Woodson most likely we will end up with another unproven coach from a mid-major conference. Does that mean we should want Woodson? No, it doesn't but in my opinion the issue will always be roster construction with any coach we hire until the BIG decides not to play bully ball. Change should occur but the type of change we desire for Indiana Basketball will always be limited by the Big Ten. 

So to take those negatives and make them positives.  He sees a basketball centric school in a basketball centric state that has resources allocated to basketball (even when things are going bad) that can only be matched by a handful of other schools in the country.  He believes it is a sleeping giant in a conference that is going to be the only truly coast to coast conference in the country and that conference just happens to be in a position where if he gets rolling he could put it in a chokehold like Kentucky used to do to the SEC.

As a cherry on top for the ego stroke, he knows if he gets this turned around that he immediately becomes royalty in the state.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So to take those negatives and make them positives.  He sees a basketball centric school in a basketball centric state that has resources allocated to basketball (even when things are going bad) that can only be matched by a handful of other schools in the country.  He believes it is a sleeping giant in a conference that is going to be the only truly coast to coast conference in the country and that conference just happens to be in a position where if he gets rolling he could put it in a chokehold like Kentucky used to do to the SEC.

As a cherry on top for the ego stroke, he knows if he gets this turned around that he immediately becomes royalty in the state.

We're a football school now...:)

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They were in the equivalent of the conferences you mentioned currently, plus WVU is B12 now. 

Agree.  That was the old Big East: Syracuse, UConn, WVU, Cincinnati, Louisville, Georgetown, Villanova....

That was unquestionably a "major" conference back then, at least in basketball. 

• Like 3

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

Agree.  That was the old Big East: Syracuse, UConn, WVU, Cincinnati, Louisville, Georgetown, Villanova....

That was unquestionably a "major" conference back then, at least in basketball. 

Marquette would have been in that, as well, yeah? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Gonna have to log onto my 10 burner accounts and like this response.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't really buy into these rumors, but with that said I think Bruce Pearl is probably gettable and would be a home run hire, though don't love his age. 

The hard part of all of this, and I'm not trying to start a debate on this, but I also think Chris Beard could maybe be gettable, and I think he'd be a grand slam hire. The problem of course is his recent legal troubles. 

It just stinks because I think Beard would check most every other box. He's even better than Pearl and younger. Also brings some of the Bob Knight connection, etc.  

If he didn't have the legal issues, he'd be a grand slam hire. Though without the legal issues he probably wouldn't be gettable. 

The thing is if those legal problems didn't happen he would still be at UT. If he was at UT he wouldn't leave that job for any other job.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If he didn't have the legal issues, he'd be a grand slam hire. Though without the legal issues he probably wouldn't be gettable. 

What legal issues? You take Beard in a second. Cheaper, younger, better coach.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, iuswingman said:

We're a football school now...:)

Maybe.  Cig hasn't coached a game yet (although so far so good).

The point being that the Big Ten is wide open for the taking right now.  Purdue and Wisconsin aren't really big mountains to climb for a good coach at Indiana.  Izzo is trending down.  Michigan is in a bigger rut than we are.  Ohio State is starting over.  Maryland is in the toilet.  UCLA's coach wants out because of lack of NIL resources.  None of the other PAC schools really move the basketball needle.

That is what is so frustrating about this.  Get a coach who knows how to do this, give him what he needs, and get out of the bleeping way.  We have sucked horribly and we are still pulling the best talent in the league.  We just need to commit to getting THE guy (and I don't think there is just one guy out there, probably several would do well here.)

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall a decent coach leaving the ACC, BIG 12 and or SEC for the Big Ten in the last two decades. Maybe there was 1 but I think that proves my point. If some says Brad Underwood may god have mercy on your soul.

Mark Turgeon.  Left Texas A&M for Maryland.  Maryland was still in the ACC at the time, but I believe the move to the B10 had been announced.  It was right around that time, I know.  Early 2010s. 

Tubby Smith we won't count considering he was "encouraged" out of UK.

On the flip side, the only significant voluntary departure I could think of to another major conference was Self leaving UI for Kansas.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

The Tennessee thing is as big a joke as bumper stickers.  The Chuck Person stuff...  like how did Noah Vonleh fall into Crean's lap?  You think any of these guys are 100% innocent?

Pearl was suspended by the NCAA because he literally told the NCAA to shove it. And 2 games at that. Nothing Chuck Person did implicated Pearl or would have even given Pearl an advantage. Chuck Person was approached by Rashan Michel, literally a custom tailor based out of ATL, and was given money to try and steer Austin Wiley and Danjel Purifoy who were current Auburn players at the time towards Michel as professional clients as they were thought to be high radar NBA prospects once they left Auburn. Literally, that's Auburn's involvement in the FBI probe.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Maybe.  Cig hasn't coached a game yet (although so far so good).

The point being that the Big Ten is wide open for the taking right now.  Purdue and Wisconsin aren't really big mountains to climb for a good coach at Indiana.  Izzo is trending down.  Michigan is in a bigger rut than we are.  Ohio State is starting over.  Maryland is in the toilet.  UCLA's coach wants out because of lack of NIL resources.  None of the other PAC schools really move the basketball needle.

That is what is so frustrating about this.  Get a coach who knows how to do this, give him what he needs, and get out of the bleeping way.  We have sucked horribly and we are still pulling the best talent in the league.  We just need to commit to getting THE guy (and I don't think there is just one guy out there, probably several would do well here.)

The "get out of the bleeping way" has been the issue for this administration for decades.

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

Mark Turgeon.  Left Texas A&M for Maryland.  Maryland was still in the ACC at the time, but I believe the move to the B10 had been announced.  It was right around that time, I know.  Early 2010s. 

Tubby Smith we won't count considering he was "encouraged" out of UK.

On the flip side, the only significant voluntary departure I could think of to another major conference was Self leaving UI for Kansas.

@btownqb I agree with you both that my statement was not correct. The Big East had certainly established itself as a major Basketball conference. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Indykev said:

What legal issues? You take Beard in a second. Cheaper, younger, better coach.

Agree.  His fiancee at the time copped to her part in the dispute and all charges were dropped. More importantly, he doesn't have a track record for this kind of behavior.  It's unfortunate that it happened, but it doesn't seem to be a recurring issue. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Marquette would have been in that, as well, yeah? 

Affirmative.  Along with Seton Hall, Notre Dame, Pitt, St. Johns, Providence....I know I'm probably leaving some out, but you get the point.  There's a whole string of average-or-better basketball programs. 

• Like 2