Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have made my point about Beard and there is no need to rehash it. Just don't want a drunk girlfriend beater as my coach. I was also was one of the fans who early on wanted RMK gone before he was let go. He should have been let go after the film came out when.he out his hands on Reed. Around 1996-97 on Peeg's I said it was time to move on and I got totally badged on that site. An old timer Gorkjo wanted to meet me and to kick my ass.

*alleged drunk girlfriend beater 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have made my point about Beard and there is no need to rehash it. Just don't want a drunk girlfriend beater as my coach. I was also was one of the fans who early on wanted RMK gone before he was let go. He should have been let go after the film came out when.he out his hands on Reed. Around 1996-97 on Peeg's I said it was time to move on and I got totally badged on that site. An old timer Gorkjo wanted to meet me and to kick my ass.

Sorry, I had to laugh. It was pretty apparent that CBK was going to struggle with the new generation of kids. 

57 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

With the reworked contract, he gets 100% of his remaining salary if fired before 4/1/26 (was 4/1/25), then 50% if fired in the last year. He isn't walking away from $12.6M. It would have to be a firing, with full buyout, disguised as a retirement.

That's the closest thing we have to leverage. If he wants to "retire" it will cost him some of that buyout, if he wants all the money the contract promises him, he's getting fired.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

*alleged drunk girlfriend beater 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/chris-beard-arrest-charge-texas-basketball-coach/ol2lywzuphmjr7ixzfamteim

"Beard told police that he has audio recordings showing he was not the primary aggressor. He was asked if he would be willing to share those audio recordings to which he said 'no.'" 

I assume those recordings would not be great for him either. This was a pretty ugly situation and even if she was the aggressor, seems like he might have some decision making issues. As I recall, she was rather notorious which leads me to believe he probably dug his own grave by merely being in this relationship. If you're a high profile anything, you have to be a little bit more selective in the relationships and friends you keep otherwise stuff like this is likely to happen. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/chris-beard-arrest-charge-texas-basketball-coach/ol2lywzuphmjr7ixzfamteim

"Beard told police that he has audio recordings showing he was not the primary aggressor. He was asked if he would be willing to share those audio recordings to which he said 'no.'" 

I assume those recordings would not be great for him either. This was a pretty ugly situation and even if she was the aggressor, seems like he might have some decision making issues. As I recall, she was rather notorious which leads me to believe he probably dug his own grave by merely being in this relationship. If you're a high profile anything, you have to be a little bit more selective in the relationships and friends you keep otherwise stuff like this is likely to happen. 

Hard to know exactly why he wouldn't share the recordings.  Probably not worth it unless they proceeded with charging him.

I don't think anyone comes out great in any heated argument, especially if someone starts taking snippets from the recording out of context. So can understand his reluctance to release it even if he doesn't come off that badly in it.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I'm not sure what that tidbit has to do with my comment? It doesn't change the fact that the state never pursued the charges against him.

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

message boards were around in 96??? Did you have to dial in on AOL?

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I'm not sure what that tidbit has to do with my comment? It doesn't change the fact that the state never pursued the charges against him.

And Wilson never got arrested for drinking, doesn't mean there weren't a lot of warning signs about potential issues. I just think hiring him would be a different type of risk. Imagine recruiting kids mom's and having to explain what happened. If I was a parent, I would want to know what happened with full details. 

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

Um, unproven is still better than proven to not be good enough.

And May has seen pretty good success lately that the unproven party is fading.

Woodson was both when it came to the college game and he was hired.

25 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

message boards were around in 96??? Did you have to dial in on AOL?

The wild west days of the internet when you didn't have to even register to use a chat or message board. I remember using the computer lab at Teter-Boisen to post, lol. The original Star News boards, Big Ten official site had message boards back then, the Independent Indiana Basketball Forum (IIBF) which I think is where Peegs was at before he started his own deal.

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Like I said, I think he gets another year, so we’ll see. He whiffed in the portal this year, with the exception of Ware, and was forced to go big again out of necessity. Without going down low, we wouldn’t have scored 50 pts in most games. Our guards are that bad.

I understand you think that, and then I asked questions based on that which you chose to ignore.

I would really like to understand why we think this year is not his preferred play style based on Woodson's history and his own comments. 

43 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I understand you think that, and then I asked questions based on that which you chose to ignore.

I would really like to understand why we think this year is not his preferred play style based on Woodson's history and his own comments. 

Because I believe him when he says he would like to play 4 out and 1 in, but personnel dictates what style you play, and unfortunately, we had no choice this year. We missed on the guys that would have made a difference, and our returning players either didn’t improve or in some cases regressed. No excuses though, because it all falls on the head coach. Next season will be his make or break year. 

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

You cannot convince me this guy wouldn’t take the IU job.  He may be one of the last coaches who still believes “It’s Indiana”.

He’s certainly one of the last coaches with no connection to Indiana University who believes it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

And Wilson never got arrested for drinking, doesn't mean there weren't a lot of warning signs about potential issues. I just think hiring him would be a different type of risk. Imagine recruiting kids mom's and having to explain what happened. If I was a parent, I would want to know what happened with full details. 

I wasn’t aware that drinking was a crime?

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

I wasn’t aware that drinking was a crime?

I drink. Not once have I berated college students at a dorm or been accused of beating up anyone let a lone a woman. She could be nuts, seems like she might have been, so maybe it's not a good idea/decision to hangout with her if you are a high profile college coach making millions of dollars. 

15 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Because I believe him when he says he would like to play 4 out and 1 in, but personal dictates what style you play, and unfortunately, we had no choice this year. We missed on the guys that would have made a difference, and our returning players either didn’t improve or in some cases regressed. No excuses though, because it all falls on the head coach. Next season will be his make or brake year. 

But he said just this week he plays two bigs and he doesn’t care what the analytics say about it.

Thats what has me confused about folks saying he wants to play four out, he flat out said he doesn’t want to do it this week even though it’s worked better with this team. 

• Like 4