Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

13 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Indiana might be the only program to pay $10.3M to buyout Archie Miller to hire Mike Woodson, then pay Woodson $12.6M to hire Dusty May. 

Me and 4 drinking buddies would have buried the program for much less.

• Haha 7

Late to this discussion, but as disastrous and messy as this whole situation appears, it all goes back to one innocent mistake.  That mistake was grabbing PG  Xavier Johnson out of the portal from Pittsburgh.  His underperformance as a PG, and off-court problems have hurt the team.  Most senior PGs in the conference provide an advantage and especially during tournament games. We likely will not see that from him.  Why call his selection an innocent mistake?  Because IU should've gotten a better Xavier Johnson, the OTHER XJ.  Here's what happened.  Both men are natives of suburban Washington DC.  Both play guard position and are similar in size.  The better one, imo, played a couple years at Geo Mason Univ and now plays in MV conference for the So Ill Salukis.  Here are this year's stats of XJ at SIU:  22 ppg, 4.2 RB,  6.1 Asst, and 89% FTs.    Here is our  XJ in his BEST year at IU:  12 ppg, 3.8 RB, 5.1 Asst and 78% FTs.   Case closed.   While these are the facts,   I  write this to provide a little laughter to our mess.  Go Hoosiers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Would you guys still want Pearl if it meant promising his son would be the successor upon retirement?

The biggest knock on May is the lack of P5 experience.  

We don't know how many players would leave if Woodson is fired and filling a roster is much easier now with NIL and transfer portal.  I don't think we will ever have to mess with another rebuild like Crean had to do simply for the fact that players can transfer and play immediately now.  

I think May could handle filling up the roster just fine. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BDidds said:

I don't have anything to add other than that BTB thread is wild.  There are so many supposedly (very) in the know people in there that it is sort of hard to believe any of it, lol.

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

I’m not buying that Pearl isn’t the guy. He’s Dolson’s top target I don’t think that’s changing. When Dolson locks in on someone he makes them say no before he moves on and that’s what will happen this time. 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I’m not buying that Pearl isn’t the guy. He’s Dolson’s top target I don’t think that’s changing. When Dolson locks in on someone he makes them say no before he moves on and that’s what will happen this time. 

If Pearl ends up using us as leverage and stays at Auburn and Ohio St hires May before IU can fire Woodson, is there a backup plan? 

I watched some tape of FAUs offense and Auburns offense. And I will admit, that they both run some good stuff. No more of this 4 guys watching the big man for 8 seconds. I will say that Pearls Flex Offense is a thing of beauty. So many easy baskets. Mays offense looks good but they had to work a little harder.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I would be completely done with the mens basketball team if Alford hired. Which, I have found it really easy to ignore the last part of the season so meh. Whatevs

Go Wolf Pack!

32 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

What happened?

Explosive scoring guard that can take over the game... Could use one of those.

Woody: "Son, your main job here is going to be to feed the post. It isn't my job to get you looks"

Love: "Okay Coach, I think some of the pick and roll you had Jalen run could be good, but I'll probably shoot more threes."

Woody: "get the hell out of my office, you can't play here if you can't even step three feet inside the line to take a good shot."

-ends call-

Woody to Buckner: "Damn kids these day need to watch your film QB. You were great and only made 7 threes in 8 seasons. They gotta stop taking these tough shots and play inside out."

Edited by KoB2011
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I would be completely done with the mens basketball team if Alford hired. Which, I have found it really easy to ignore the last part of the season so meh. Whatevs

If we can't hire Pearl because of the BBQ incident there's no way we can hire calendar boy due to the Pierre Pierce incident. Right?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If we can't hire Pearl because of the BBQ incident there's no way we can hire calendar boy due to the Pierre Pierce incident. Right?

LOL.  Steve's ship to coach here sailed awhile back.