Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

4 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

That quote. It all comes back to that quote. Every complaint I have above Woodson can be explained as a failure to adapt to how programs are built, run, scouted and recruited at the college level, as opposed to the NBA where Woodson spent a lifetime ossifying. And that quote is a confession of everything he never learned before or after taking this job.

Yeah, that quote was one of the most asinine and negligent things I've heard a coach say. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just heard through the vine that the powers that be recently found out that there were talks of McNeeley asking out of his LOI, among losing guys that are already on the roster…. and thought that by leaking that Woodson was coming back might slow the bleeding and help with the portal. If true, what a catastrophic cluster of crap. I never would’ve thought that IU would be in this mess, but here we are.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

17 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Just heard through the vine that the powers that be recently found out that there were talks of McNeeley asking out of his LOI, among losing guys that are already on the roster…. and thought that by leaking that Woodson was coming back might slow the bleeding and help with the portal. If true, what a catastrophic cluster of crap. I never would’ve thought that IU would be in this mess, but here we are.

Wow, if that is true, what a crippling mistake IU just made.

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Microwaved mint chip ice cream with grape nuts, just get the ice cream soft or borderline runny.  Trust me 😆 

Grape nuts and nuked ice cream? I see how you got your screen name. That’ll run right thru ya. 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

This whole McNeeley situation better scare Woodson. Or at least piss him off. If it doesn't, it's a real problem.

There is ZERO margin for error. There is ZERO leeway for coasting on laurels' past. This is a dog-eat-dog world and you better be on AT ALL F---ING TIME.

Them's the breaks. Don't like it, don't do it. But if you want to play the game, you better be a SHARK and you better be hungry.

It should scare his bosses, not Woodson. It’s go time.  I’ve literally never seen anything like this at a major program in my life. It’s a joke. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

image.thumb.png.da34ec8492eb48adb315ed5b51c38207.png

I saw someone on Trilly’s board say something akin to Bill Self wrapping this up in the last several to few weeks. And the reasons for the switch probably due to other things I’ve seen tonight - style of play, etc, including possibly CMW not having talked to him after signing. You have to think if that’s the case, potentially waiting for a different direction & coach were behind him not decommitting earlier. Only Liam and his family know 100%, and as much of a gut punch as this is as an IU fan, I truly do wish him the best going forward, most likely at Kansas.

And wow is this a gut punch. When I saw the news on Twitter, I gasped so loudly my daughter thought someone had died. Her words, not mine.

1 minute ago, MrsStoller said:

I saw someone on Trilly’s board say something akin to Bill Self wrapping this up in the last several to few weeks. And the reasons for the switch probably due to other things I’ve seen tonight - style of play, etc, including possibly CMW not having talked to him after signing. You have to think if that’s the case, potentially waiting for a different direction & coach were behind him not decommitting earlier. Only Liam and his family know 100%, and as much of a gut punch as this is as an IU fan, I truly do wish him the best going forward, most likely at Kansas.

And wow is this a gut punch. When I saw the news on Twitter, I gasped so loudly my daughter thought someone had died. Her words, not mine.

I wish him the best and don’t blame him one bit.  I’m sad to not get to see him play for a team I want to love, but decision makers are making it extremely difficult to do so. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

Somethig did die.  It was the Indiana Basketball program sadly after being put on life support yesterday 😞

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

6 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

Just saw this on Twitter. 

Still really puzzled with the timing. It’s not like our style of play changed suddenly, so why did Liam and his family decide to kick the dog while it’s down? Not that I blame his choice, just lost a little respect for him and his family for piling it on. 

C48C3D5E-41A1-4270-96AD-08AFBDF55420.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierdave said:

Just saw this on Twitter. 

Still really puzzled with the timing. It’s not like our style of play changed suddenly, so why did Liam and his family decide to kick the dog while it’s down? Not that I blame his choice, just lost a little respect for him and his family for piling it on. 

C48C3D5E-41A1-4270-96AD-08AFBDF55420.png

Unless they were waiting to see if a change would be made. And when it was made clear last night that a change wouldn’t be coming, maybe they felt it was just time to move on. 

It’s a gut punch, but I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of the head coach. 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, that quote was one of the most asinine and negligent things I've heard a coach say. 

Well since he thinks college basketball is played inside out why are you surprised. We are basically bottom of NCAA in 3pointers….what sharp shooter would want to play in that offense?

ahh CMW and his cigar celebrations post game with his "dudes" regardless of wins or losses, golf, and his laziness when in comes to the time required to recruit not just to get a kid to commit but post commitment as well has hurt IU more than Archie did during his 4 years.  

This decomit of Liam is on CMW 100%.  Offense sucks, calling out players and not taking accountability and now we sit here with 0 recruits for 2024 when its due or die for woody AND 2025 isn't necessarily going too hot from a recruiting perspective.  Go ahead and give the guy an advancement and get him out.  More damage will be done to the program with him returning for a single year then restarting now.  

• Like 1