Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think we are letting the wrong NBA owner booster have a lot of influence.

Like how crazy is it that we have TWO NBA owners as boosters and can't even consistently compete for top 5 in our conference. 

Not to mention the Cooks and a few others. Truly insane to me (and it's not just this year) for decades we can't get this crap straight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Not to mention the Cooks and a few others. Truly insane to me (and it's not just this year) for decades we can't get this crap straight.

100%. I was just going the basketball angle, but we have several BILLIONAIRE boosters, and then a ton more 8 and 9 figure millionaire boosters. 

• Like 1

The situation is very similar to Allen. They have a head coach who doesn't know how to run a program day in day out. It's not his fault, same as it wasn't Allen's. Neither has the skillset or background to do what it takes in modern college sports to be the head guy. It's not just showing up to practices or yelling at or loving guys etc. You have to know how to work the system and hire the right people to make the machine hum. You really are the CEO not just "Coach". It's a different mind and skill set. And really Woody should have known this. He should have offered to be an assistant or taken a Matta role for a younger coach. He's ego got in the way. Also, whomever's mucking up the process (Buckner, Whitman etc) needs to get out of the AD's way and let him pick a guy who doesn't come with strings attached or forced assistants or connections to this guy or IU or whatever. That stuff is dumb and only works if there is a solid foundation to pass the torch. IU has not had that at all. I just feel bad for the players. They seem like good guys and this season isn't even over. They (in a "dream" world) could still win 20 games. They didn't muck up the roster or recruiting etc. I think the fans should show up for them, not to boo Woody. Also, I have to tap out for a while. #GoHoosiers. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

2024: 0-31 on recruits. 

See that's what makes no sense with these coaching contracts. How is that performance not grounds for termination? If a coach completely fails to perform his duties, why isn't that a cause to fire them without the buyout. Once they sign the contract, they can just sit back and do the minimum and receive the full amount of their buyout? There has to be language about not performing duties. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

See that's what makes no sense with these coaching contracts. How is that performance not grounds for termination? If a coach completely fails to perform his duties, why isn't that a cause to fire them without the buyout. Once they sign the contract, they can just sit back and do the minimum and receive the full amount of their buyout? There has to be language about not performing duties. 

He doesn't believe in recruiting HS kids.  Only elite 5 stars.  That's why he didn't show up to Sectionals and was forced by Dolson to attend that other game purely for optics.  He believes the Simon family will buy him an elite roster through the portal each season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

On senior day no.  We suck it up and show some class.  

Yeah, agree. As frustrated and pissed off as I am at Woodson, and believe he needs to retire, I don’t want him humiliated. I just want him to retire. With that said, if it took that to really get the point across (which I think should already be made anyway) would we be okay cringing through it knowing what the end result would be? All hypothetical and no way to know, but just assuming…. That would be tough to listen to and see regardless. 

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

100%. I was just going the basketball angle, but we have several BILLIONAIRE boosters, and then a ton more 8 and 9 figure millionaire boosters. 

Bart K singlehandedly changed our baseball program. I just can't put my finger on the problem...and again this is decades of problems. 

• Like 1

Per ITH:

(Asked Mike Woodson on today's Zoom about recruiting for the 2024 class and if he's concerned about how things have turned out.

Woodson said he "isn't going to talk about recruiting." 

Acknowledged that it's going to be a big summer for the program in terms of recruiting. #iubb)

• Haha 5
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Bart K singlehandedly changed our baseball program. I just can't put my finger on the problem...and again this is decades of problems. 

Right now Dolson definitely knows a change is required.  However, the Simon family due to Buckner is insisting on a 4th year. Buckner needs to be removed immediately. He doesn't give a sh!t about the program just his buddy.

• Like 1

Just now, Danomatic said:

Per ITH:

(Asked Mike Woodson on today's Zoom about recruiting for the 2024 class and if he's concerned about how things have turned out.

Woodson said he "isn't going to talk about recruiting." 

Acknowledged that it's going to be a big summer for the program in terms of recruiting. #iubb)

Can we add an angry face to the reactions? 

• Like 3

At this rate, what is there even to discuss about keeping Woody around any longer from the BOT and booster side?

The only momentum he had was keeping Reneau/Mac/Liam/Gallo. Arguably your biggest impact player already left for greener pastures. We already have Reneau/Mac/Gallo on the team and that isn’t enough to make the tournament. We have no recruits and no clear targets lined up. Our style of play is ineffective/outdated and doesn’t attract the necessary pieces to fix. Woody tries to sign the best high schoolers in the country each year who only want to play for one year in college. He’s struck out because he’s tone deaf and thinks he has the credibility of a Coach Cal or Self whose resumes speak for themselves. Then he complains we’re “too young” so he’ll try and get upperclassman who will also leave after 1 year. Not gonna get any multi year guys because they’ll be well aware he’s on the hot seat and don’t want to transfer again. Any time Woody has a press conference he puts his foot in his mouth and every national media outlet quote tweets him and pushes more negative recruiting. We’re now likely heading into year 4 with our worst team assembled in a long time and added tougher non conference games like the Maui invitational and Kentucky series. Not to mention, Assembly Hall will be dead and NIL donations will dry up this off-season. 

8 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

So im texting with a former player (under Crean) who I used to hang around with when I was at IU. 

"IU fans can definitely be a pain in the ass, but they are right this time. Woodsons ego is getting in the way. There has to be a change. I'll always love Tom, he had the passion IU needs right now. Never should have gotten rid of em"

Not that his opinion really matters, but I figured id throw it out there. 

Tom Crean to return as Woodson's GM lol

• Haha 4

So I was one of the few that was wanting Woodson to get another year at least, mainly because I'm tired of this same thing happening every 3-4 years and quit frankly I thought he deserved it.  I want someone in place where something can be built and have some long term sustainability.

With that being said I and what has went down yesterday I'm officially done and he needs to go! If I wasn't doing my job no matter how long I had been there or what i had done for them in the past I would be fired immediately. Get somebody in there that gives a damn and wants to do the job not just earn a paycheck.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

So im texting with a former player (under Crean) who I used to hang around with when I was at IU. 

"IU fans can definitely be a pain in the ass, but they are right this time. Woodsons ego is getting in the way. There has to be a change. I'll always love Tom, he had the passion IU needs right now. Never should have gotten rid of em"

Not that his opinion really matters, but I figured id throw it out there. 

Adding a bit more context here. Our convo was comparing Crean and Pearl. "Those guys are fierce. Mike seems to sleepwalk". 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, HMSHoosier said:

So I was one of the few that was wanting Woodson to get another year at least, mainly because I'm tired of this same thing happening every 3-4 years and quit frankly I thought he deserved it.  I want someone in place where something can be built and have some long term sustainability.

With that being said I and what has went down yesterday I'm officially done and he needs to go! If I wasn't doing my job no matter how long I had been there or what i had done for them in the past I would be fired immediately. Get somebody in there that gives a damn and wants to do the job not just earn a paycheck.

The harsh truth is this won't happen every 3-4 years if the program simply hired high-level, experienced college coaches right from the beginning.

• Like 7