Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know you have to keep in contact but to me it sad that you still have to coddle recruits after they sign with your school.

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

These players are entitled and soft. I would love for IU to start recruiting tough minded players who are just about winning.

No offense Scott, but this is a tired, lazy and inaccurate response. You're making an inference to "coddling" and "soft" that isn't verified.

Sports (and specifically team ones) are very much relationship-based. It's treating people with decency and respect and checking in on the people you want to associate with. Same thing with business... why do you think there are so many social visits? Golf outings, business lunches/dinners, etc.

To disregard this (and specifically try to lay blame at the players) is missing the target.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, DWB said:

Agreed. I mentioned in another thread that while I think every kid on the roster is a good kid, they aren't tough minded, save for Gallo, Walker, and Cupps. Compare the toughness (not talent) of our roster against Wisky's, PU's, Rutgers, KU, Auburn, and on and on, and ours stinks in comparison.

I can't disagree with that, but imo the real issue was guard play/lack of shooting.  It was historically bad and yes Woodson built the roster so it's on him.   Also keep in mind we did start 4 So and Fr. for most of the year.  There are other issues but to me those were the most glaring that equalled so many loses.  

As of for everything right now... has there ever been a team that didn't have a single commit?   I can't think of one. 

1 minute ago, MoyeCowbell said:

No offense Scott, but this is a tired, lazy and inaccurate response. You're making an inference to "coddling" and "soft" that isn't verified.

Sports (and specifically team ones) are very much relationship-based. It's treating people with decency and respect and checking in on the people you want to associate with. Same thing with business... why do you think there are so many social visits? Golf outings, business lunches/dinners, etc.

To disregard this (and specifically try to lay blame at the players) is missing the target.

Yes. Motivating people is pay and praise. How difficult would it be for Woodson to text Liam and say “hey great game, can’t wait to see you in the pinstripes” once in a while. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yes. Motivating people is pay and praise. How difficult would it be for Woodson to text Liam and say “hey great game, can’t wait to see you in the pinstripes” once in a while. 

"See what I'm doing with Gallo? I can make you a point forward at times. I'll give you a chance to make plays. I WANT YOU INVOLVED."

That took me 30 seconds to type. It's not hard.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

"See what I'm doing with Gallo? I can make you a point forward at times. I'll give you a chance to make plays. I WANT YOU INVOLVED."

To put that into perspective, if you're Rick Pitino, that's two illicit trysts at Porcinis.  

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He’s just a dinosaur 

Knight is dead. This didn't work out. The guys that played for IU 40 to 50 years ago, should have no say in the future of the program. The game has totally changed. Nothing they did back then is relevant any more. Dolson is exposed here. If you recall the search, he went into his basement for a week and came out with Woodson. His strength was his relationships with players. I guess that goes out the window when loses pile up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The most important part of that starts around the 15:30 mark.  I don't know how you invite someone to your program and don't even bother to learn their name.

Did this go over my head but do we know what transfer recruit he was referring to? Ledlum? Knecht?

20 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

100%. A competent coach is not only keeping in touch with his signed recruits, but doing things like having his video coordinator put edits together showing the players how he'll be used next year, sets he'll be in, etc., so the player can begin visualizing and understanding the system. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Did this go over my head but do we know what transfer recruit he was referring to? Ledlum? Knecht?

They said it was on a campus visit, right? It really seemed like they were talking about Knect or maybe Caleb Love, but I don't think either of those guys ever visited. 

• Like 1

Trying to follow from work. Lot’s of layers to this thing, and seems to be a lot of unnecessary anger out there for sure. Same effect social media has had on politics and so many other areas of life these days.

I don’t think Woodson is the coach for IU in the future, or the present for that matter. The charade is over, now that TJD is gone, and negative recruiting has evidently hurt us for the Class of ‘24.

Having said all that, I can’t imagine booing our kids on Senior Day, and loudly booing our coach who was a legend here after 3 short seasons. I have seen engagements between DD and one of CMW’s daughters on Twitter in the past, and I can only think about how bad Archie Miller’s wife ( for those who remember-Wayyyy above his pay grade) was treated by our fans on social media. 
Do I want him gone? Yes. Do I want a whole new staff,  minus Calbert and Hulls? Yes. 
But this shouldn’t be rising to the level of hate and vitriol that it seems to be getting to, and our recruiting competition is licking their chops, hoping it continues. Hoping this resolves itself before things truly get out of hand. 
It can only be a bad look for us and will enable recruiters to adversely affect our ability to sign players moving forward, or hire coaches for that matter.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Knecht never visited.  They didn't name names.  People ran with Love as that one fell apart right after he left campus (which would match the story).

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

They said it was on a campus visit, right? It really seemed like they were talking about Knect or maybe Caleb Love, but I don't think either of those guys ever visited. 

Yeah. On campus visit. The only one I can remember for sure visiting was Ledlum. There was a lot a buzz about him coming in but after he visited, things went silent. 

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Lnecht never visited.  They didn't name names.  People ran with Love as that one fell apart right after he left campus (which would match the story).

Man, if true, how frustrating would it be for the assistant who did all the leg work in getting the visit?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Lnecht never visited.  They didn't name names.  People ran with Love as that one fell apart right after he left campus (which would match the story).

If some guy named Lnecht visited, that could be what caused the confusion.  Coaches were expecting a Knecht.  :coffee:

• Haha 5

8 Step Plan For IU Success: 

1. Pick up phone.

2. Sign Woodson's buyout.

3. Pick up phone again.

4. Get out checkbook

5. Get out a pen

6. Ask Chris Beard what it would take to coach IU (Waiting for a hotter looking girl to call him)

7 Write check

8. Enjoy years of good basketball and success

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

Trying to follow from work. Lot’s of layers to this thing, and seems to be a lot of unnecessary anger out there for sure. Same effect social media has had on politics and so many other areas of life these days.

I don’t think Woodson is the coach for IU in the future, or the present for that matter. The charade is over, now that TJD is gone, and negative recruiting has evidently hurt us for the Class of ‘24.

Having said all that, I can’t imagine booing our kids on Senior Day, and loudly booing our coach who was a legend here after 3 short seasons. I have seen engagements between DD and one of CMW’s daughters on Twitter in the past, and I can only think about how bad Archie Miller’s wife ( for those who remember-Wayyyy above his pay grade) was treated by our fans on social media. 
Do I want him gone? Yes. Do I want a whole new staff,  minus Calbert and Hulls? Yes. 
But this shouldn’t be rising to the level of hate and vitriol that it seems to be getting to, and our recruiting competition is licking their chops, hoping it continues. Hoping this resolves itself before things truly get out of hand. 
It can only be a bad look for us and will enable recruiters to adversely affect our ability to sign players moving forward, or hire coaches for that matter.

Very well said. I consider myself a pretty pessimistic fan and am as upset/angry/depressed as the rest of you, but we literally have one more home game left. Show love and appreciation for the seniors and try to will this team to finish as strong as possible. Guys like X and Gallo have been through a lot on and off the court and deserve to go out on a high note.

Let’s say we all get our wish and Woody is fired, do we really want Mullins, Sisley’s, and potential portal players to have that be their last impression? Like you said, negative recruiting is already easy with us so let’s not make that worse than it is.

We have over 760,000+ alumni, so even if a fraction of those send emails to Dolson and BOT, they’ll get the message. If Assembly hall is empty, they’ll get the message. If they hear us cheering super loud for the players and suddenly you can hear a pin drop when they call Woodsons name, they’ll get the message. 

I would just prefer we find healthier and more effective methods to express our displeasure.

• Like 3

so an avg. of 20-11 is now pretty good. That record will get you in the NIT every year or a 15 seed in a down year. not sure how Woodson is going to sleep at night next year without XJ.

Edited by Indykev
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

so an avg. of 20-11 is now pretty good. That record will get you in the NIT every year or a 15 seed in a down year. not sure how Woodson is going to sleep at night next year without XJ.

X is not a winner or good leader.  he is also not a consistently good basketball player.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1